Whitecaps v. Islanders(R) 25th July

I was at the game the first half was pouring rain. Then lightning and the game got suspended with a 1-0 for the Whitecaps. Anyone knows if the game is cancelled? USLLive not working and nothing on the radio. What happens to the tickets? Decided to leave when my twins started cryin

...MOD EDIT: just adjusted the topic title.

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

I was at the game the first half was pouring rain. Then lightning and the game got suspended with a 1-0 for the Whitecaps. Anyone knows if the game is cancelled? USLLive not working and nothing on the radio. What happens to the tickets? Decided to leave when my twins started cryin

USL Live was working for 2 hours then it stopped. I think either the camera crew went home or the game was called off.

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

USL Live was working for 2 hours then it stopped. I think either the camera crew went home or the game was called off.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I think it might happen automatically on the USLLive website. The link simply dies. Any ideas what will happen with a cancelled game? Rematch tmrw? Reimbursment of tickets(doubtfull since it's weather)

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I think it might happen automatically on the USLLive website. The link simply dies. Any ideas what will happen with a cancelled game? Rematch tmrw? Reimbursment of tickets(doubtfull since it's weather)

That was the strangest match I've ever been to. It was hot and sunny all day, then when I got near the ground it started drizzling. As I got to the stadium, I heard those bloody Caribbean steel drums. Ah, of course, we're playing Puerto Rico, and in typical Canadian fashion, instead of making our stadium our own, we try to make the visitors feel at home instead. I swear, if Canada were playing Vatican City, we'd have Gregorian chants for them.

About four minutes into the match, the heavens opened, and those who didn't drown saw Haber chase a ball and poke it past the keeper into the net. As soon as the ball hit the back of the net, there was a terrific crack of thunder, and the keeper ended up tangled up in the net. Everything was timed perfectly. Then it rained harder and harder, and then the thunder and lightning really picked up. In the 43rd minute or so, the ref blew the whistle and the match was postponed for about two hours. The lightning was as good as the fireworks going on in English Bay.

Eventually the second half started and there were goals galore, with the Caps adding three more, and Puerto Rico adding a well-worked goal which followed a dodgy penalty.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

That was the strangest match I've ever been to. It was hot and sunny all day, then when I got near the ground it started drizzling. As I got to the stadium, I heard those bloody Caribbean steel drums. Ah, of course, we're playing Puerto Rico, and in typical Canadian fashion, instead of making our stadium our own, we try to make the visitors feel at home instead. I swear, if Canada were playing Vatican City, we'd have Gregorian chants for them.

So the game was in Vancouver and not PR? The thread title has it the other way around.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

So the game was in Vancouver and not PR? The thread title has it the other way around.

Don't look at me, I didn't write it. Yes, it was in Vancouver, it only seemed as if it was in the tropics.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Don't look at me, I didn't write it. Yes, it was in Vancouver, it only seemed as if it was in the tropics.

Oh no, I'm not saying you wrote the title, just that I was confused given the thread title and your post.

I'll take your word for it that the game was played in Vancouver. ;)

Sorry about the confusion I made. Was dead yesterday, just imagine taking care of 2x15months old twins. I wasn't supposed to even take them to the soccer game but since my wife is away on a conference this weekend I though why not. Well you can imagine the rain pouring & me with the kids. Thank god I didn't wait until the game restarted.

The night was unreal! I had seen serious thunderstorms in the maritimes and Toronto, but nothing like last night in the 20 years I've lived here!

Full marks to the Whitecaps and the Referee (at least on this call) [:o)] for suspending the game and ensuring the safety of everyone there. The lightning was incredible.

Of course, the SouthSide was there at the end (after they entertained the grandstand for an hour with G-rated songs the young'uns could sing) And no one should ever give crap to the diehards in the Grandstand and the Eastside who stuck it out. There weren't any casuals who saw the end of this one...

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Oh no, I'm not saying you wrote the title, just that I was confused given the thread title and your post.

I'll take your word for it that the game was played in Vancouver. ;)

I know. [insert younger generation interet smiley face] The weather, the steel drums and this guy I saw wandering around in bermuda shorts, a panama hat and a blazer had me wondering if I really was in Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

The night was unreal! I had seen serious thunderstorms in the maritimes and Toronto, but nothing like last night in the 20 years I've lived here!

Full marks to the Whitecaps and the Referee (at least on this call) [:o)] for suspending the game and ensuring the safety of everyone there. The lightning was incredible.

Of course, the SouthSide was there at the end (after they entertained the grandstand for an hour with G-rated songs the young'uns could sing) And no one should ever give crap to the diehards in the Grandstand and the Eastside who stuck it out. There weren't any casuals who saw the end of this one...

The best bit was when the kids at the back of the grandstand joined in for a couple of songs.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

Here's a video addendum to Bill's post:

Talk about a road trip. On the seventh game of their marathon eight game (five week) epic away run is a good time to host the Islanders, who had scored just once in their five previous games. Even better for TFC today. And this is a team that has lost just once in 11 games at home.

Archived