Simeon Jackson to Leicester City

Guest Doyle

Guest Doyle

What? It's backed by the No. 1 Sunday-or-Monday-night podcast in the Canadian soccer blogosphere.*

*Unsubstantiated claim.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

That website doesn't look very reliable.

Agree and I hope mods will ban anyone who has that website in their profile.

As for Jackson, that would be a good move to test himself against CCC opposition. But there's a thin red line between playing in League One and getting a lot of playing time and moving to a CCC club and risking to find yourself on the bench because you aren,t ready for that level.

If it happens I hope this move turns for the best for Simeon, he has some potential for sure.

I have read versions of this rumour on more reputable sites...but always identified as a rumour.

I think, for his progress, this clearly needs to happen at some point, though I wouldn't mind seeing him succeed in League One for a few months and transfer in January to a team in CCC that explicitly needs a striker.

Glad its not a move straight to EPL.

I think he could have a place in Leicester's starting XI, Hume was a starter there but couldn't get a striker position in our MNT while Jackson did very good last season and is playing as a striker with the MNT. If he can score one goal or two in the Gold Cup just before joining his new club, that would be great for him.

I'm taking a look at Leicester strikers and it seems to be at least 2 good strikers, Matt Fryatt (23 years old) 46 games played, 27 goals, and Steve Howard (33) 41 games played, 13 goals. The other 4 strikers are still young, some lack playing time and haven't scored many goals.

Worst case scenario, Jackson would end up third striker but I think he could take Howard's position.

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

I'm taking a look at Leicester strikers and it seems to be at least 2 good strikers, Matt Fryatt (23 years old) 46 games played, 27 goals, and Steve Howard (33) 41 games played, 13 goals. The other 4 strikers are still young, some lack playing time and haven't scored many goals.

Worst case scenario, Jackson would end up third striker but I think he could take Howard's position.

With 27 goals in 46 games I kinda think it's more likely that Fryatt will get bought then Howard getting displaced (that said this is numbers comment, I haven't seen them play or anything)

In speaking to some people this afternoon, I can share that, while Jackson's move to Leicester is not yet official, its starting to sound very possible.

Getting the call into the Canadian MNT for the GC certainly has helped this young man. Apparently this has not gone unnoticed by some folks in the UK.

Jackson's still somewhat of a raw player but he has heaps of potential and loads of pace. As mentioned by gkhs, I might have prefered to see him playing 3-4 months for Gillingham and possibly move in the January window but if someone is prepared to pay 1.5 million, you've got to take it. That money will probably pay Gillingham's senior team wages for about 4-5 months (if not more). That's a nice bit of business. I wonder if his former club was smart enough to attach a sell on clause so that they get a piece of the action as well.

This from SkySports: July 15, 2009

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/0,20367,11718_11737,00.html

Gillingham boss Mark Stimson insists there has been no offer from Leicester City for striker Simeon Jackson.

Reports had claimed that Championship side Leicester had lodged a bid of £1.5million for Jackson, who is currently with the Canada squad at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

However, Stimson has confirmed there have been no enquiries for a player who scored 21 goals en route to the Gills securing promotion to League One last season.

"We've had nothing at all from Leicester, it's just paper talk," said Stimson.

"We don't want to lose our better players, but at the end of the day every player has got his price I suppose.

"No-one has made an enquiry to me and I don't think the chairman has had any phone calls which is pleasing because he's someone who even in these pre-season games would be vital to us because of the way he plays."

Stimson believes the talk will not affect his star forward, who has already helped his country through to the quarter-finals of the Gold Cup.

He added: "I'd be amazed if it went to his head because like I've always said, the kid is a model pro. I don't think it will faze him at all, if anything it will just probably give him another pat on the back and say 'people recognise I'm worth some money' and rightly so.

"I won't mention it to him, I've told him if anyone makes any enquiry he will be the first to know."

Guest Doyle

^Yes, yes. And Arsenal insist that Adebayor has committed his future to the Gunners, and Man U insists that Ronaldo will not be transferred to Madrid, and...

Archived