No Canadians in Mexican's Primera Division?

hamiltonfan

There probably isn't any overarching reason for this. It probably comes down to Canadian players being more comfortable in Europe and Mexican teams having little interest in Canadian players.

Granted I imagine Mexican teams would be quite happy to have some of our better players, but those players would probably rather play in Europe as I mentioned earlier.

Plus I think Mexico has laws preventing foreigners from owning property within something like 75 miles of the coast, so players playing in cities like Cancun, Veracruz and Tampico wouldn't be allowed to buy houses in the cities they lived in.

I think theirs one playing for Puebla FC. He's not a starter but he's on the 1st team. I think he played on last years U-23 squad.

Their is a law where foreigners can't buy land by the border or coast, but they can rent!

Also their are plenty of teams which are no where near the border. Pachuca and Santos Laguna come to mind. As well as Puebla as I mentioned. Theirs also Cruz Azul and Club America. I'm leaving CD Guadalajara, since they have a policy where only Mexicans can play on the squad.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

You'd figure some Mexican-Canadians might be playing there.

Not really.

I know a few Mexicans living here, and most only go back for short visits.

The current problems with the police and drug lords, plus traditional crime and other issues mean a lot of them are glad to be here long term. And many have European/Spanish connections that attract them there or keep them in Canadian/US leagues before they think about playing 'back home'.

It would not be a bad idea for the players to consider.

There are a lot of foreign players in Mexico. The pay for the star players in the Primera Division is the best in the continent and the playing level is good (3 teams still alive in CONCACAF Champions League, teams playing every year Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana).

There are two players with Mexican families that were born in the US and play for the US (Michael Orozco from San Luis and Jose Francisco Torres from Pachuca). Nobody bothers them in Mexico. I remember Mike Sorber and Alexi Lalas playing with UNAM and Leon respectively a few years back.

I can see Rad or De-Ro in their best years playing there with no problem but I guess learning Spanish would be a problem for some.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I'm having a hard time finding a link to Sanchez on any Puebla sites. Can anybody who speaks Spanish help me out?

All I could find was their team roster with Isidro Sánchez listed under MEDIOS (Midfield) http://www.pueblafutbolclub.com/principal/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=5 . I did not spend too much time on the site, but I could not find a player profile.

quote:Originally posted by MexTFC

All I could find was their team roster with Isidro Sánchez listed under MEDIOS (Midfield) http://www.pueblafutbolclub.com/principal/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=5 . I did not spend too much time on the site, but I could not find a player profile.

That's perfect, thanks. I'll put him on the MOACA now.

The Ultras Montreal who are travelling to Mexico for the Santos Laguna game will also be sticking around for a couple of league games. One of these games will be Puebla playing in Monterrey against Tigres. If he does happen to play I will post about it. You can also watch most of the Mexican league games online. www.myp2p.eu has links to broadcasts.

Archived