Iceland Canada's new province ?

Trillium

So Iceland is broke and will soon default on its International debt, leaving them in same status as Newfoundland and Labrador were after the Second World War.

As the Icelandic FA is a member of UEFA, if they joined Canada as a province the CSA could be disbanded and we could have membership in UEFA, which could lead to some interesting club side developments with long term potential to grow the professional clubs sides in Canada.

The prospect of this has many positives (and from a West Ham United standpoint) negatives. Their owners basically "own" iceland if you will, owners of their largest bank and they're now broke.

What makes you think Canada will get involved in their financial mess though? Apparently we're suppose to recover from this in mid 2010

I got in crap for this once before, but what the hel.l...

The Netherlands owes us big time for our role in its liberation from the Nazis: I say we annex Holland, stick an orange tulip on the flag--entwined with the maple leaf--add Dutch as our third official language, and Bob's your uncle. Actually, then Bob's son--Jonathan--can finally play football for his proper country.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So Iceland is broke and will soon default on its International debt, leaving them in same status as Newfoundland and Labrador were after the Second World War.

As the Icelandic FA is a member of UEFA, if they joined Canada as a province the CSA could be disbanded and we could have membership in UEFA, which could lead to some interesting club side developments with long term potential to grow the professional clubs sides in Canada.

Better chances that Iceland goes back to Danish control.

It's more likely that Norway or someone else control them. If we did take control they would be considered a member of North America, wouldn't their governing body for football change as technically they would no longer be a member of the EU. I think it's wishful thinking to say that their UEFA status would remain and we could somehow piggyback on that.

quote:Originally posted by Dare431

It's more likely that Norway or someone else control them. If we did take control they would be considered a member of North America, wouldn't their governing body for football change as technically they would no longer be a member of the EU. I think it's wishful thinking to say that their UEFA status would remain and we could somehow piggyback on that.

Unless we made it a reverse take-over so that we became the most western province in Iceland. :D

quote:Originally posted by Dare431

Unless we made it a reverse take-over so that we became the most western province in Iceland. :D

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I got in crap for this once before, but what the hel.l...

The Netherlands owes us big time for our role in its liberation from the Nazis: I say we annex Holland, stick an orange tulip on the flag--entwined with the maple leaf--add Dutch as our third official language, and Bob's your uncle. Actually, then Bob's son--Jonathan--can finally play football for his proper country.

You sure you wanna be part of our Orange culture ? :D

http://www.oranjebern.ch/OR_VIDEO_NED.html (Video set up by Mayor of Bern during Euro's)

(Basel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=149C-sU9OYc (Bern)

150,000 is like 1/100 of our population

ha, it would be interesting if nothing else. As high up as Tallinn was on my 'places to visit' list, Reykjavik is even higher. I think a trip to Iceland would be awesome : ) .... their economic lapse is unfortunate, and from what I understand the corporate investment strategies of its large banks are mostly to blame. But all the same, they should have some good deals coming up, no?

Too bad we wont be playing them any time soon

Archived