Imperative To Win 1st

As of match day 5, every group but Group C has a Mexican side with the most points. I'd say that if Montreal wants to have a good chance of reaching the semis it is imperative that they either draw or beat Atlante on Tuesday, otherwise they are going to end up against a very tough opponent come February.

I feel pretty optimistic about this one.

Don't forget JP managed to get a goal in Cancun and flied back home with the win. And when it happened, the game was still meaningful for Atlante as they were trying to qualify. This time, they know they're in, so I don't anticipate them to try that hard to win the game. They also have 5 games left in league play (apertura tournament) and they are leading their group to this date. So obviously Atlante will keep their key guys on the bench and the others will keep their legs fresh for the playoffs as this tournament is more important to them by far. IMO, they just don't care about clinching first place cause anyway, they probably think they can beat any team as a mexican side.

My prediction: a scoreless tie with the Impact locking up first seed !

Go Impact !!! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

I'd still take Puerto Rico over Pumas, Cruz Azul or Santos. Yes, there were some upsets early but after 5 games the Mexican teams have risen to the top despite resting a lot of players throughout the tournament. Don't be fooled. Montreal should still hope for a team like Firpo, Puerto Rico, Houston or Municipal.

True, the Impact are the only non-Mexican team at the top of their group. I don't think Houston will make it. 3rd currently.

No way to the 0-0 draw! Montreal wins it 2-1 [8D]

Just saying, a scoreless draw would almost seem anti-climactic for a match between these two clubs. There needs to be some action at both ends, otherwise it could be a long 90mins (although, is any match really boring for those of us who are soccer nuts?)

^ Yeah, I didn't mean the game's gonna be boring at all. But look at the facts. Only 4 teams has allowed less than 6 goals in the tournament and these 4 teams all allowed 3 or less. GA by Atlante and Montreal combined (5) is less than what 3/4 of all teams has allowed to this day. So do the math... It's just a feeling I have given those facts. Atlante is in the middle of the Apertura and they will save their legs, but they will do enough not to lose the game in front of their home crowd. The Impact, for their part, would be happy with the draw, but I don't mean at all that they won't give all they have to win this one. The first tie between them was more meaningful and it still finished 0-0. So why not again ? It still could be very entertaining as Sébastien said.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

As of match day 5, every group but Group C has a Mexican side with the most points. I'd say that if Montreal wants to have a good chance of reaching the semis it is imperative that they either draw or beat Atlante on Tuesday, otherwise they are going to end up against a very tough opponent come February.

The pairings for the ¼ finals, as i recently discovered, will be determined by a Concacaf draw which will be held after this round is completed.

What I am not aware of is if your placement in this round affects your position in the draw. I would imagine it will and that they will have the 1st place finishers in one bowl and the second place clubs in the other bowl.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Unless I'm missing something, we have 11 points and Atlante has 8. Our goal differential is +6 while theirs is +2. So even if they win, they would have to win by 4 goals to tie us and 5 to beat us. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

If they win 2-0 the Impact goal diff drops to +4 and Atlante's goal diff increases to +4..

Also, are we even sure that tie breakers are based on goal diff and not head to head matches

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

If they win 2-0 the Impact goal diff drops to +4 and Atlante's goal diff increases to +4.. or no? besides are we even sure that tie breakers are based on goal diff and not head to head matches

hm... [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I hope they know what they're in for. Sure this won't be Azteca, but still it will be a packed house with maybe 1 or 2 groups of Canadians huddling in the crowd. Any Ultras making their way down for this one?

A few more of us were considering going if we were playing for something more than 1st place but I think now everyone is going to be saving money for the quarter final away game. Could there be a UM invasion of Azteca in March?

Archived