Nice Effort

jahman

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

So all the games should be in Toronto because their fans are too lazy to travel? I believe only a single person from Toronto came out last night.

I think saying Toronto should get all the games based on the fan turnout of a single game under perfect conditions is just stupid.

Only one person in this thread suggested that Toronto should get all of the games.

I'm not really sure why everyone seems to focus on this. It's like the mere mention of the word 'Toronto' makes people flip out on this board.

A wednesday night is a worrible day to have a game, middle of the week that sucks. why didnt they have it monday night, i know it was thanksgiving but at least people wount have had to take another day off of work if they were traveling to the game.

There have been a lot of meaningful games played in Edmonton with the crowd under 20,000. I do think the Honduras one was the all-time worst, though. The dwindling crowd size is one of the reasons the games stopped being held here - the CSA wanted a full Swanguard or wherever the Toronto games used to be held than 15,000 in Commonwealth. Of course, the drop in attendance coincided nicely with the lack of marketing for the games... If the CSA does a marketing blitz and has a weekend game in Edmonton, the crowd would be 30k. A weekday game might approach that if it's against a big opponent, meaningless game or not. IIRC even the the Canada Cup game against Northern Ireland back in 1995 drew over 20k and it was a weeknight in May, and the final game against Chile on the weekend was close to 30k. When the marketing is there, Commonwealth fills up. When the marketing isn't there, nobody knows and nobody goes.

Just on a slightly different but still related topic, if the CSA really wants to get the MNT some exposure, there should be nation-wide ads on TV, the radio, the internet, and in newspapers for the month leading up to a game. It may be more money than they have, but if they generate interest in the team they stand a chance of attracting the casual fans.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You are wrong. Stop pickin' at it.

You only have to go back to the last game. Canada vs Honduras drew 8,000 in September 2004.

I stand corrected. Like I said, years of beer drinking has likely affected my memory (and will probably only continue to do so :D). But that said, having been to many a match at Varsity Stadium where there were only a few thousand fans, and most of them cheering against Canada, one match against Jamaica hardly makes a statement for Toronto, nor does an 8000 or 14000 turnout make a statement against Edmonton, if we look at overall track record.

Archived