USL final location: CONFIRMED [R]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Islanders4Ever

Well I just read an article that came out in the main Puerto Rican newspaper. The USL apparently confirmed that the main reason for the decision was the pressure coming from FSC. Amanda Duffy, operations manager for the USL, said that there was already an internal understanding that the final wouldn't take place in PR because of FSC operational costs if it had to transmit form the Island.

:(

Here's the link for those of you who speak Spanish:

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/futbol/deportes/nos_mereciamos_tener_ese_juego_en_casa/469366

So is it true that the broadcasting of USL games by FSC is like a paid advertisement for the league ? Because if that's the case, what's the problem with FSC ? USL is paying them ! Normally, in a capitalist system, the guy who pays is the guy who decides !!!

But I'm sure it costs a lot more to broadcast from PR than it does Vancouver.

The USL probably paid FSC a flat rate at the beginning of the season to book a slot for the championship broadcast. FSC probably said "Well that's fine and dandy, but if the final is held in PR, this deal is out the window. There's no profit margin left for FSC if we have ot do it from there." Then the USL said "Well, what are the odds PR will go all the way?"... and it bit them in the ass.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

But I'm sure it costs a lot more to broadcast from PR than it does Vancouver.

The USL probably paid FSC a flat rate at the beginning of the season to book a slot for the championship broadcast. FSC probably said "Well that's fine and dandy, but if the final is held in PR, this deal is out the window. There's no profit margin left for FSC if we have ot do it from there." Then the USL said "Well, what are the odds PR will go all the way?"... and it bit them in the ass.

Probably true, but it's PR that has the big hole in the ass. And normally, in a capitalist system, the rich guy (USL) doesn't have to make a compensation at all when he harms the poor guy (PR) because of his own poor decision making. :( So long live capitalism ! I think it's the way it should be I guess...

quote:Originally posted by snake

gne usl made the right decision

the caps made the finals in 2006 and the decision regarding the location went to rochester

it would be pretty bad on the usl's part to overlook vancouver as host AGAIN.

Well, it seems you're the only Caps fan not jumping on the bandwagon of sympathy for PR fans. So starting today, we should correct a mistake by applying the same mistake to someone else, so everybody could get angry once in a while to even things up ? [:0] Yeah, I forgot how communism is so much better than capitalism...

So after capitalism and communism, what's next ? ;)

gne usl made the right decision

the caps made the finals in 2006 and the decision regarding the location went to rochester

it would be pretty bad on the usl's part to overlook vancouver as host AGAIN.

What are you talking about? Rochester was the higher seed.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72011+Elements/Display+E+47107+++++4068269+++177221+Y

"The Islanders, meanwhile, can't help but feel jilted and head coach Colin Clarke spoke his mind Monday. He lashed out at the league, saying that it was simply a financial decision.

"I think there's a lot of confusion about what's happened," said the former Northern Ireland international. "We knew it was a bid process but what goes into that . . . money talks, I guess.

"You'd like (the process) to start with what Puerto Rico has done for this league, what we've done through the CONCACAF games (they currently lead Group D in the Champions League).

"Vancouver wants to go play in MLS and Puerto Rico will still be around."

While the hosting application is mostly a requirements checklist, there is a financial component in that teams declare what percentage of the gate receipts they will give back to the league."

Wild conspiracy theory:

Maybe the Caps promised the USL 100% of the gate receipts so that they can get extra footage of a packed Swangard for the MLS bid package, due in by October 15.

MLS booster night a few weeks back was ok, but Minnesota was hardly going to evoke a lively, spirited crowd in the grandstand. A championship final on the other hand....

Well we've been hearing from certain sources that the USL never imagined PR would go all the way. Even when we won the Commisioners Cup there was a belief that PR wouldn't get past the semis. It was assumed that the final would be between the remaining US team (Rochester)and a Canadian team.

That unfortunately makes PR fans wonder even more about the shady refereeing that took place during the semis. Any of you who watched either game between PR and Rochester knows what I'm talking about.

We received two red cards in Rochester for no apparent reason, among many many other inconsistencies that occurred in both legs of the semi finals match up. Again, not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but it seems that $ and not the sport might be the motivating factor of the USL. [V]

quote:Originally posted by Bill

Could Puerto Rico boyccott the game???

We certainly can but for sure that will give the U$L a green light to a big fine or better yet eliminate the franchise. A couple of owners were complaining about the travel expenses and some players hinted about the travel distance and humid weather.

So, my idea for "not" boycott the game is that the whole team and staff show up and order expensive room service and 50% tips, order PPV movies. Then at the stadium throw the game so we loose 90-0 (1 goal per minute) is the only way somebody will notice.

Fans from all clubs already know that this venue change is fishy but the league board don't care so the only way they will care if their annual showcase is turned into an expensive fiasco.

Monster, if you watch both legs (free via usllive.com) you will see the red card to Miranda was ridiculous. And the second yellow to Jones was a not-so dangerous slide. (there were a couple of those with no card during the game)

For the second game, the ref crew was even bolder. They chose not to stop any hard fouls against Noel, Atieno and even the most obvious one to Villegas.

^ perhaps fair to you, but it's sure as Hell not fair to PR.

^^ and maybe it's just me, but my vision of the beautiful game is not people running amok all over the field and grabbing each other by the throat while refs look the other way and smile.

hosting the championship in the usl/a-league has never been based on higher seed

Until the league SPECIFICALLY changed this and included in their rules, starting in 2007, that the #1 would get right of refusal to host if it made the final.

Sorry to butt in but does anyone know if there if a place where "croatian" fans sit at the Caps games? I know that many go but don't know where they sit. I am asking since Serbian White Eagles are playing at 2pm in the VMSL and there is a group of about 30-40 Serbian coming with me to the game(whitecaps that is). We have BRONZE tkts by the beer garden.....to make it better BOSNA FC guys will be there as well in F/G sections....Hope I don't have to put my Blue Helmet on......

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

Sorry to butt in but does anyone know if there if a place where "croatian" fans sit at the Caps games?

Yes. They sit in a time machine that is permanently stuck around 1999 or 2000, because they've not been nearly as visible or vocal as they once were. ;)

Further to that, though, if you think there is ANY chance of issues brewing between the Serbs & Croats, especially given the numbers you are talking about, kindly keep it the f--- out of the Southside.

When the Caps are playing, there is only one team that matters. I would expect that anyone else attending the game, especially those in OUR section, keep that in mind and leave the rest of the s--- at home.

This isn't a jab at you personally Orl, or your mates, I'm just saying that after all the security headaches we've gone through, and all the time that myself and others have invested in repairing damaged relations with the club, the LAST THING the Southsiders want to contend with is a bunch of glory-hunting hoolie wankers who show up for one match - and only one match - and subsequently bugger us royally for next season.

If your 40 guys can be cool, they're more than welcome in the Southside. If the other side wants to start crap with them, ensure your boys sort it out away from Swangard.

The league has awarded the USL1 Championship game to the Vancouver Whitecaps an organization that has been a cornerstone of the USISL/A-League/USL for several years. An organization that is rich in tradition and has contributed much to North American soccer.

Vancouver and the province of British Columbia have contributed much to not just Canadian Soccer but North American soccer (R.I.P. Dominic-you are still loved and remembered here in Baltimore).

I, as a Puerto Rico Islanders fans have posted opinions that expresses my disastisfaction with this decision. I have criticized the league, Holt & Marcos in particular.

It has recently been brought to my attention that some of my statements were taken as an insult to your fine organization. I had already stated my great admiration for the Whitecaps Organization and its contributions. It was never my intent to insult the Whitecaps organization, Soutshsiders or any of the other supporters of your storied squad. I did however feel that I had to call some BS when I saw it. That's what I did. I have no regrets other than the fact that some mistook my critique of Holt & Marcos as disparaging the Whitecaps.

I stand by all of my statements and they can be interpreted by individuals as they see fit.

I wish Vancouver all of the best in its MLS bid. I look forward to continuing a rivalry with Vancouver at the MLS level when they face my local, MLS side DC United.

Best of Luck in the USL1 Championship game this Sunday.

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

NOLLY GRABBED RIBEIRO BY THE THROAT!!!! get that stick out of ur a$$

A: No he didn't numbnuts.

B: Grabbing someone by the throat is not a red card offence. Striking, or attempting to strike is a red card offence.

Even with our back-up goalkeeper your $hit team couldn't win.

I don't belive in politics and neither do the guys. I don't think of any trouble at all and I know it took a while to move those bleachers closer, get the potties, etc Johnnie Monster. It's usually the kids in their 16-25 that are the problem with their "nationalistic" views and they aren't part of the crowd. I was just worried about the "other" side since I go to the Coratian cultural center once in a while and know many do attend. But since the numbers are 5-6 nationalistic BS brews only in their 100's.

And YES only 1team matters Caps.

PS: not all 30-40 of us are sitting togheter more like groups of 4-6 since we weren't able to purchase tickets togheter this late, but all will be in the Bronze section. Cheers

Allez les Caps on va gagner!!!!!!!

Archived