USL final location: CONFIRMED [R]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Tractor Boy

ok Brett, I'll let you google that. Make sure they play in the same division.

Spartak Primorje (in Vladivostok on the North Korean Border) to Spartak Saint Petersburg is 6,775 km. Both play in the Russian Basketball Super League.

Vancouver to Puerto Rico is 6,100 km

quote:Originally posted by Bill

When you're in Puerto Rico are you technically in the United States? I understand they have their own government there and some laws differ from U.S. laws.

Yes. You are in the US. We are a 'territory' (read that as colony) of the US.

Some laws are different as the same as some state laws are different from the federal law but federal law supersede local law.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I strongly disagree with Puerto Rico losing the home advantage for the final. That being said everyone claiming that USL is run in an amateur way and MLS is not is forgetting some of the wonderful decisions/policies of the MLS:

-allowing (and refusing their request to reschedule) TFC to play a league game while missing 9 regulars due to international commitments

-paying many of its players a below USL/below McDonald's level salary and significantly bringing down the playing level of the league

-removing an already very lax Canadian quota on the behest of a incompetent manager who made minimal effort to abide by it (and who has not put together a superior team under the new rules)

-allowing TFC fans to throw stuff on the field for over a year which naturally this year led to the logical consequence of dangerous objects being thrown on the field

-allowing teams to play in stadiums with football lines on the field

-not being able so far in Champions League play to book one victory despite having four teams entered in the competition

I am sure I could think of a lot more minor league things about MLS given a bit more time, those are just the ones of the top of my head

I agree with you, but the fact is that perception wins against reality. Here's a part of my post on the Ives poll thread:

How many people I hear week after week saying "Get your team in the MLS and then..." and I know it's the same for almost everyone here in Montreal. Maybe in Vancouver it's the same. Look at Seattle, they now have hit the 14,000 season tickets mark. Another time: 14,000 !!! It's sad that things work this way for most of soccer fans but it is what it is. MLS is the promised land for the "real football fans" (sic).

Very sad, but so true. Yep, perception always wins. MLS will be an upgrade for both Montreal and Vancouver in terms of media coverage (locally, nationally and internationally) and attendance (like it happened in TO and will happen in Seattle). But for sure, MLS is as a second rate (not to say sixth rate...) league as USL is now. But for the benefit of the franchise, unfortunately, MLS seems to be the solution.

Even if the final two clubs have to bid, which is ridiculous because the richer team will always win (rochester vs vancouver), they should publish the requirements, evaluation criteria and both evaluation sheets.

Criteria

Stadium

PRI: OK VAN: OK

Field Consideration

JRL is soccer specific, no other event takes place there</TD>

Swangard is not OK according to VAN fans

TV

PRI: ? VAN: ?

FSC can transmit from PR for FIFA games

Fan Attendance

PRI: 4700 avg and more than 9000 during playoff

VAN: 4500 avg. Swangard only seats 5100

http://kenn.com/blog/?p=648 we average more than VAN in a third of the games

Media coverage

PRI: ?

VAN: ?

What? there are no phones, Internet or Satellite available, news papers, etc in PR?

Hotel & Transportation

No hotels or cars in PR either?

Ancillary events

this another way of saying $how me the money

Visiting team support

Will the team need pampering beyond transportation and hotel… what do they need? Champagne and caviar at the hotel rooms?

Financial Requirements

PRI: $$

VAN: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ding, ding ding… this is the real reason $$$$$$$$

U$L is no longer about development of the sport/players is just money.

Holt's response is vague at best.

Keeping the same air as previous post.. this is only a request (and comments) strictly directed to U$L governing body, but someone said that tickets are already being sold at VAN stadium... so what? Money can be refunded. Besides, what will happen if the Islanders don't show up? We get second place and U$L looses money, VAN fans will ask for their money back.

Better yet, we show up, throw the game, loose 90-0 (1 goal per minute) and we both go to the Guinness Book of World Records

Not every body have FSC or FSW. None of the cable companies carries those channels only satellite providers (dish,DTV) have them and yes we have satellite TV.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

I think it's the furthest for footy, that's for sure.

Vladivostok has a football team too in the Russian First Division (second level of Russian professional), which also has a club in Kaliningrad (the Russian exclave between Poland and Lithuania on the Baltic Sea). These two cities are 7,300 Km apart .. even farther than the Basketball teams.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Spartak Primorje (in Vladivostok on the North Korean Border) to Spartak Saint Petersburg is 6,775 km. Both play in the Russian Basketball Super League.

Vancouver to Puerto Rico is 6,100 km

Vancouver and Puerto Rico is not the farthest in football. For a first division Russian football is tied with Russian basketball for that with Luch Energia Vladivostok and Zenit St. Petersburg both in the Russian Premier League. The distance between the clubs dinamo Riga and Amur Khabarovsk in the new Kontinental Hockey League is also similar at about 6700 kms. However, the 2nd tier of Rusian football (called the 1st division) has an even further distance of 7021 km between FC Baltika Kaliningrad and FC SKA-Energia Khabarovsk. If Vladivostok relegates this year to the 1st division, the distance will be even larger.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Vladivostok has a football team too in the Russian First Division (second level of Russian professional), which also has a club in Kaliningrad (the Russian exclave between Poland and Lithuania on the Baltic Sea). These two cities are 7,300 Km apart .. even farther than the Basketball teams.

Vladivostok has not played in the first division since 2005 though they are a relegation candidate this year.

quote:Originally posted by Tractor Boy

Interesting stuff. I'm glad I dont live in Russia, or I'd never be able to afford to go on away trips

The majority of teams are in European Russia and within road trip distance. My team Shinnik is located in Yaroslavl which is a 3 to 4 hour drive from Moscow and its 6 teams. Zenit St. Petersburg and Saturn Ramenskoe are also well within travel distance. We have fans travel to all 8 of these teams and they have fans that come to our away games, the number varying depending on the size of the team fanbase. Perm, Kazan and Samara are a bit further but sometimes they send a busload or two of fans to our games. Grozny and Nalchik are a bit further still and would only send fans if it was a very important game. I doubt we send any fans to either because both are pretty dangerous cities in volatile regions of Russia. (BTW after years of playing in cities near Chechnya but not in it, things have settled enough for Terek Grozny to get permission to play once again in Grozny this year). Only Tom Tomsk and Vladivostok are too far for fans to make road trips. The atmosphere in games in which there are no away fans does suffer but the amount of games within travelling distance is certainly much better in Russia than in Canada. On the other hand when I lived in Germany every match was within easy travel distance even those on the other side of the country.

The more I think about this the more it stinks to high heaven! The lack of transparency by the USL is atrocious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Caps fan and I already have my tickets to the game...but this is wrong wrong WRONG.

The VERY least the USL should do is be completely up front and honest about their reasons.

If the PR ownership is in cahoots with this decision (not saying for a second I think they are) then SAY SO. If this is about the quality of the pitches then SAY SO. If this is all about the Caps bucking up more $$ then SAY SO!!

quote:Originally posted by GhostDog

The more I think about this the more it stinks to high heaven! The lack of transparency by the USL is atrocious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Caps fan and I already have my tickets to the game...but this is wrong wrong WRONG.

The VERY least the USL should do is be completely up front and honest about their reasons.

If the PR ownership is in cahoots with this decision (not saying for a second I think they are) then SAY SO. If this is about the quality of the pitches then SAY SO. If this is all about the Caps bucking up more $$ then SAY SO!!

Agree! They should just come clean as to what really happened.

The Islanders' front office is furious. By the way, they had been selling tickets to the final in PR for about 1 or 2 weeks.

Again, I am very pleasantly surprised at seeing all of you understand what we're going through. I used to live in Seattle and visited Vancouver - I must say it is by far my favorite city in all of North America (though I haven't been to Montreal).

Well I just read an article that came out in the main Puerto Rican newspaper. The USL apparently confirmed that the main reason for the decision was the pressure coming from FSC. Amanda Duffy, operations manager for the USL, said that there was already an internal understanding that the final wouldn't take place in PR because of FSC operational costs if it had to transmit form the Island.

:(

Here's the link for those of you who speak Spanish:

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/futbol/deportes/nos_mereciamos_tener_ese_juego_en_casa/469366

quote:Originally posted by Islanders4Ever

Agree! They should just come clean as to what really happened.

The Islanders' front office is furious. By the way, they had been selling tickets to the final in PR for about 1 or 2 weeks.

Again, I am very pleasantly surprised at seeing all of you understand what we're going through. I used to live in Seattle and visited Vancouver - I must say it is by far my favorite city in all of North America (though I haven't been to Montreal).

Well I think Caps fans can appreciate your position here. If we were in your shoes we would be furious. And of course the fact this whole thing seems so...dodgy...it's easy to understand how you feel.

quote:Originally posted by Islanders4Ever

Well I just read an article that came out in the main Puerto Rican newspaper. The USL apparently confirmed that the main reason for the decision was the pressure coming from FSC. Amanda Duffy, operations manager for the USL, said that there was already an internal understanding that the final wouldn't take place in PR because of FSC operational costs if it had to transmit form the Island.

:(

Here's the link for those of you who speak Spanish:

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/futbol/deportes/nos_mereciamos_tener_ese_juego_en_casa/469366

well there goes the assumption that it was a "Vancouver payoff"

all semi-finalist teams submitted bids, so that leads me to believe that the vancouver bid vs. the puerto rico bid had less question marks

quote:Originally posted by morbital

well there goes the assumption that it was a "Vancouver payoff"

all semi-finalist teams submitted bids, so that leads me to believe that the vancouver bid vs. the puerto rico bid had less question marks

And that's fine, but the way this has been handled makes the league look like a joke.

"Highest seed hosts the final"...."Highest seed hosts the final unless FSW and a number of other unknown shadowy factors dictate otherwise", more like!

You have a team from Puerto Rico in your league, and a set of rules that say they should host, then BUCK UP your operational costs. If you didn't want to open the door, then don't have them in the league or the winner-hosting rules. Finding sub-clauses in the rule book and weaseling shows a complete lack of ethics and integrity.

No one said payoff. What was said was this is about the lustre of Vancouver money vs. the cost they would have to bear of doing what was right.

Archived