T&T 2000 WCQ (Onstad)

loyola

A lot of people are talking about a bad goal Onstad gave against T&T in that famous 2-0 loss in Edmonton to start the 2000 WCQ campaign. I remember watching that game and never could remember the goals so I decided to try to find those goals on youtube and did so here we go...

First:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3ih3U7o1I

Second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awP52oBqkag

I'm just asking, how in the world we can fault him for any of those goals??? First one is a tremendous strike (maybe someone could argue that a taller keeper like Forrest could've saved it but that's not a bad goal to give for a keeper). Second is a clinical finish by Yorke.

he coulda had the first one. in this game and in the guatemala 04 game, he was neither good nor bad, which is not good enough for us. But he's cost us points against Costa Rica 04 and now Jamaica due to amateurish blunders. He is what he is. A good keeper, but as we say in spanish, 'le pesa la camiseta'. The pressure of playing for canada in wcq is too much for him.

even though you (and yallop and archundia and now bitch mitch) have crushed my hopes and dreams for years (sadly, my hopes and dreams revolve around this goddam piece of **** cmnt) i dont hate you pat. i respect you. i know it must have been ice cold and pitch dark playing in craig's shadow. thanks for the memories. as you walk away from the international game, remember, its better to burn out than to fade away.

Loyola, I have honestly never heard anyone blame Onstad for those goals, or that game. Somewhat similar to the Honduras match, in that T&T had two strikes, two goals.

However as you say, they were world class strikes and he had no chance. Tough to stop Yorke in his prime.

Onstad had no chance.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Loyola, I have honestly never heard anyone blame Onstad for those goals, or that game. Somewhat similar to the Honduras match, in that T&T had two strikes, two goals.

However as you say, they were world class strikes and he had no chance. Tough to stop Yorke in his prime.

Onstad had no chance.

Well, I've often read on this forum people blaming Onstad for one goal in the first game of the 2000 WCQ against T&T. Some are saying that it has been 3 times in a row with Onstad blunders. So I was curious about this.

Up until that point we had Forrest between the pipes. Coming into that game in Edmonton we were undefeated for a year. The first goal came completely against the run of play after the Trinidad keeper (Clayton Ince I think?) made some world class saves.

Onstad to my recolection did not make any World Class saves in this game. Onstad wasn't at fault for that first goal, but he certainly didn't come up with a big save when it was needed. That was the difference between the Gold cup earlier in the year, and World Cup Qualifying and hence the reason alot of people place the blame on Onstad. Justifiably or not it was a huge let down after the Gold Cup win.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Up until that point we had Forrest between the pipes. Coming into that game in Edmonton we were undefeated for a year. The first goal came completely against the run of play after the Trinidad keeper (Clayton Ince I think?) made some world class saves.

Onstad to my recolection did not make any World Class saves in this game. Onstad wasn't at fault for that first goal, but he certainly didn't come up with a big save when it was needed. That was the difference between the Gold cup earlier in the year, and World Cup Qualifying and hence the reason alot of people place the blame on Onstad. Justifiably or not it was a huge let down after the Gold Cup win.

Yeah, I don't think Onstad cost us that match against T&T, but as you said he didn't win it for us either. The major difference between Forrest and Onstad was that one 'keeper actively stole games, while the other one was just competent. Even though football goalies may not be as influential on the scoresheet as hockey goalies, you still need one to steal the odd game here or there. Since Forrest's departure, a goalkeeper has rarely made that kind of positive difference in a CMNT game.

Why do we expect every one of our keepers to be like Craig Forrest? He's the

exception to all Canadian keepers. No one - even Lettieri, Hirschfeld, Thunder Dan,

Dolan, Sven Habermann, Greg Sutton, or Pat Onstad - has emerged in the same way.

Onstad didn't cost us the match against T&T. It's like saying Craig Forrest cost us

the match in Azteca, or Hirschfeld cost us against Cuba (2003). They weren't spectacular

enough during those matches.

You can argue about Onstad's miscue against Jamaica, and it DOES haunt him, but

if Rad,DDR, Brennan, and Friend converted their chances, the mistake would not have mattered

as much.

It's tough to play for Canada's MNT, as much as a being a supporter of it.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Onstad had no chance.

I don't agree, he should had saved that first goal. He dove backwards and used the wrong hand to make the save, wrong decision with a shot coming from that angle. He should've had the right hand up across the shot, all that ball needed was a little touch and it would had touch the cross bar or even gone over it.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

He should had saved that first goal. He dove backwards and used the wrong hand to make the save, wrong decision with a shot coming from that angle. He should've had the right hand up across the shot, all that ball needed was a little touch and it would had touch the cross bar or even gone over it.

He should have used his right hand with the ball going to his extreme left? While moving backwards?

Man, that's a 50-50 guess, especially in a split second.

Even Craig Forrest wouldn't have stopped that. Where was the

support btw? The defence?

Archived