Coverage of Montreal's run

Or lack there of. I live in Toronto during the summer and have become accustom to seeing plenty of TFC coverage. When I got back to Montreal for school I understood that the Impact coverage was small to nonexistent but with the Impact winning the V Cup and participation in the CCL I assumed it would be a bit more prominent. WRONG.

The CCL success has had pretty much zero press which absolutely shocks me, you'd think the Montreal sports fans would eat up the idea of their "minor league" team beating the best pro teams in the region. Even the attendance at the two CCL games have been rather unfortunate, the first game against Joe Public was probably 60% of the capacity and the Atlante game was a Mexican affair. The oddest thing is that their USL matches have a better attendance and pro-Montreal crowd then their CCL matches.

I assume Montreal will now qualify for the knock-out stage and will have to play come February and I am 100% sure that it will be awful.

1. The games get played elsewhere and Montreal fans are shunned.

2. The games are played at the O with little advertisement, support, and interest. Lets be honest, a soccer game in February... it won't compete against the Habs for ANY press.

I don't mean to attack the Montreal fans because the games I have been to this year (three) have been absolutely great. I am of course referring to the UM02 and their great members. I just don't understand why the Impact aren't getting any press at such a big moment for the city. It is not as if Montreal does not care about the game, the bars have a good crowd for UEFA CL games and other matches. Soccer is quite big here and I think with an MLS team it would explode!

quote:Originally posted by kodiakTFC

Or lack there of. I live in Toronto during the summer and have become accustom to seeing plenty of TFC coverage. When I got back to Montreal for school I understood that the Impact coverage was small to nonexistent but with the Impact winning the V Cup and participation in the CCL I assumed it would be a bit more prominent. WRONG.

The CCL success has had pretty much zero press which absolutely shocks me, you'd think the Montreal sports fans would eat up the idea of their "minor league" team beating the best pro teams in the region. Even the attendance at the two CCL games have been rather unfortunate, the first game against Joe Public was probably 60% of the capacity and the Atlante game was a Mexican affair. The oddest thing is that their USL matches have a better attendance and pro-Montreal crowd then their CCL matches.

I assume Montreal will now qualify for the knock-out stage and will have to play come February and I am 100% sure that it will be awful.

1. The games get played elsewhere and Montreal fans are shunned.

2. The games are played at the O with little advertisement, support, and interest. Lets be honest, a soccer game in February... it won't compete against the Habs for ANY press.

I don't mean to attack the Montreal fans because the games I have been to this year (three) have been absolutely great. I am of course referring to the UM02 and their great members. I just don't understand why the Impact aren't getting any press at such a big moment for the city. It is not as if Montreal does not care about the game, the bars have a good crowd for UEFA CL games and other matches. Soccer is quite big here and I think with an MLS team it would explode!

Search a member JohnTV... i think if you talk to him he will explain it all to you ..

quote:Originally posted by kodiakTFC

The oddest thing is that their USL matches have a better attendance and pro-Montreal crowd then their CCL matches.

This isn't so hard to understand. The USL games are mostly packed because of the season ticket holders. The CCL games on the other hand are sold separately. Since the season ticket holders include a certain amount of the "soccer mom" crowd, it's not hard to see that they don't really grasp the importance of the CCL and therefore are not rushing to buy tickets for those games.

Actually I've been quite pleased with the coverage on RDS.ca which is great considering it's a major hub for Canadiens and Alouettes info as well as boxing and the like. They always feature a major headline right on the main section before and after Impact matches, and are prompt with the highlights right on the main viewer. SRC does a pretty god job too. The Gazette writes up the matches after wards but does a poor job of promoting future ones, and CTV Sportsnight are the worst, often completely skipping Impact coverage in favor of a CFL preview for a match four days away, or a regular season baseball game between Californian teams, or a profile piece on Vijay Singh. Today on their lunchtime broadcast they mentioned precisely NADA about the Olimpia match last night. [xx(]

In the french printed press the Journal de Montreal does a good job with articles the day of the match and the day after, the journalit also travels to the away games sometimes. In La Presse it's not perfect but much better than last tear when most of the time you could read three lines on an away games and the canadian Press article on home games. What is really lacking is analysis and player profile.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

In the french printed press the Journal de Montreal does a good job with articles the day of the match and the day after, the journalit also travels to the away games sometimes. In La Presse it's not perfect but much better than last tear when most of the time you could read three lines on an away games and the canadian Press article on home games. What is really lacking is analysis and player profile.

I agree, what will draw new fans is the star-power of players. They need to feature more in interviews and profile peices.

They really need to go over the top about players like Jordan (and his brilliant play in goal as of late), Grande, Brilliant, and a star striker, perhaps Brown or Byers (I'd say Brown, usually good for a goal a game). They need to promote these guys and help create their stardom in the eyes of the public, make a right big deal out of them.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

They really need to go over the top about players like Jordan (and his brilliant play in goal as of late), Grande, Brilliant, and a star striker, perhaps Brown or Byers (I'd say Brown, usually good for a goal a game). They need to promote these guys and help create their stardom in the eyes of the public, make a right big deal out of them.

We wish.

On the contrary...

ever since the Impact's dream run in CL they've been everywhere. Front page on a couple newspapers on different occasions (gazette, 24h) which is quite impressive. The popularity of this team is only growing and if they succeed in advancing to the Quarters and SS is not available I wish that the Olympic Stadium is available.

If the game can be properly marketed, the Impact would draw easy 30,000 , reminding many of the old Manic days. People forget how poorly the u-20's were marketed yet, Montreal averaged nearly 45,000 a game.

quote:Originally posted by mtl-supporter23

If the game can be properly marketed, the Impact would draw easy 30,000 , reminding many of the old Manic days. People forget how poorly the u-20's were marketed yet, Montreal averaged nearly 45,000 a game.

Especially with a lead time of 4 months!

Every soccer fan in Montreal (and we have seen there are many) will want to come to this game.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by squizz

Hell, with a lead time of four months, I'm sure you could find plenty of Vs from outside of Quebec willing to make the trip too (myself, for one).

+ 1

Archived