Thomas Kargbo

Obinna

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=172975&sc=83

His brother told me about this, but I completely forgot to post about it.

Basiclly he's a striker from Sierra Leone who immigrated in 2002 or 2003 to St. John's. Played with the Canada Games team back in 2005 but then took off and I always wondered what happened to him. Mabye he should be looked at for the U-20 level, it looks like he's doing well at Manchester.

quote:Originally posted by NPE

Now if he materilized for us wouldn't we have to put all the those "others" behind us

and move on...

I don't think so really. I mean its not like he goes back to Sierra Leone to live every summer like Fernandes, De Guzman and Hargreaves go back to Canada every break etc. Big difference. He came here at 12 as a refugee and doesn't go back like these other "Canadians". Canada obviously played a more major role for him than Sierra Leone.

Well, it looks like we've not only helped him with Soccer, but also life in general:

When Kargbo, along with his brother and sister, landed in the province in the Spring of 2002 - a full two years after his parents, Moses and Fudia, had fled wartorn Sierra Leone - everything was new to him.

(Sierre Leone was ranked the worst place to live on Earth by the UN during their civil war.)

<snip>

When we see someone who probably struggled, we support that and we go out of our way to make sure a kid like this can take it to another level," said Stanford. "That didn't necessarily have to be soccer, we wanted this kid to make sure he did well in life and got a good education.

"As soon as he stepped on Newfoundland soil, the Newfoundland hospitality came out every which way he turned."

During his residency in St. John's, Kargbo attended MacDonald Drive junior high, where principal Keith Coombs says the quiet student thrived under the tutelage of "some very loving and caring teachers who put their heart and soul" into helping him adjust to a new life.

(Sounds like a pretty positive influence on his life don't ya think?)

I'm adding him to the Canucks Abroad list on BigSoccer...

Well, it looks like we've not only helped him with Soccer, but also life in general:

When Kargbo, along with his brother and sister, landed in the province in the Spring of 2002 - a full two years after his parents, Moses and Fudia, had fled wartorn Sierra Leone - everything was new to him.

(Sierre Leone was ranked the worst place to live on Earth by the UN during their civil war.)

<snip>

When we see someone who probably struggled, we support that and we go out of our way to make sure a kid like this can take it to another level," said Stanford. "That didn't necessarily have to be soccer, we wanted this kid to make sure he did well in life and got a good education.

"As soon as he stepped on Newfoundland soil, the Newfoundland hospitality came out every which way he turned."

During his residency in St. John's, Kargbo attended MacDonald Drive junior high, where principal Keith Coombs says the quiet student thrived under the tutelage of "some very loving and caring teachers who put their heart and soul" into helping him adjust to a new life.

(Sounds like a pretty positive influence on his life don't ya think?)

I'm adding him to the Canucks Abroad list on BigSoccer...

The guy came to Canada in 2002, 5 years in Canada max so I am not sure that Canada played that a major role. He's essentially from Sierra Leone but Canada has the potential to benefit from his talent.

Anyway my point is that we're going to win some and we're going to lose some. Rather than continually dredging up the those who make decisions to play for others,lets focus on who we have. That does not mean being complacent and not trying to improve the system here.

quote:Originally posted by NPE

Now if he materilized for us wouldn't we have to put all the those "others" behind us

and move on...

The irony is that, if he turned out to be a legit talent and was capped for Canada, everyone here would probably welcome the decision... while continuing to loathe JDG2, who left his native country to go to his soccer country at exactly the same age as Kargbo did.

(Yes, yes, I realize that fleeing a war-torn country for good is different than choosing not to play for a native country that you regularly visit and features your older brother in midfield, calm down.)

Quite the parellel's in the refugee cases of Jonathan and Thomas. Thomas was exiled due to squabbling factions within his countries government, difficulties in fulfilling his schooling due to gunfire whizzing by and handgrenades falling at his feet. Jono was exiled to Holland due to squabbling between his father and the OSA, unable to fulfill his soccer education without the mortar shells of bureaucracy landing at his feet.

Thomas Kargbo came here for a better life, had he stayed in Sierre Leone is there any guarantee he would have graduated high school? Would he and all of his family members still be alive?

If he considers himself Canadian, I'll accept him as such.

What difference do parallels or detailed comparison between individuals make?

He is arguably more Sierra Leonean than Canadian but may end up playing for Canada

OH/DeGuzman are more CDN but play for the English/Dutch. In the case of the former

we'll accept this with little fanfare but in the case of the latter, we'll go on for

ever about the injustice of the world... I would have liked these guys to play for Canada

but for what ever reason they didn't.

Well, obviously I'm not daft enough to make a direct comparison between the two. Yes, the circumstances surrounding the two are very, very different. Kargbo's family came here for a better life, JDG2 chose Holland for a better soccer career.

But while we all think JDG2 should be playing for us because he was born here and lived here until he was 12, I'm sure there are soccer fans in Sierra Leone who - if Kargbo ends up having success and playing for Canada - will feel the exact same way ("why isn't he playing for us?") Okay, many people in Sierra Leone have more pressing issues to worry about than success in soccer... but that doesn't make their desire to see their native sons perform for the national team any less genuine than ours, does it?

Believe me, I would have loved if Jono had chosen to play for us. But I also will accept Kargbo with open arms if he has the talent and desire to suit up for Canada. All I'm trying to say is that we can't pretend that we're always the victim when it comes to the nebulous nature of national sporting allegiances... we do sometimes benefit from it as well.

(Please, no one make any mention of JDG2 again in this thread. I was foolish to bring it up. But now I'm nipping it in the bud. Please.)

Guest Soccrman

Without wishing to pour water on anything you really need to check this out properly before you annoint Thomas!! He's not a bad player, quick, skillful but VERY small - but only played local league in Cgy - not even AMSL. His record is below. In Cgy there are some of his age group who even doubt he went to play for MUFC and he's not listed as an academy player on the MUFC website. If he managed to play all 18 games for his club how did he have time to go to Manchester for trials, never mid play in the Milk Cup? He's certainly not at national team level.

http://www.cusa.ab.ca/league.php?scriptName=TEAMROSTER&teamID=2845&sportID=1&leagueID=1000&divisionID=55554&seasonID=7397

Thomas Kargbo 18 app 7 goals

quote:Originally posted by gator

^ Ed, you are involved with Calgary youth soccer, what do you know of Thomas Kargbo?

SFA. But I am coaching younger kids.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I don't think so really. I mean its not like he goes back to Sierra Leone to live every summer like Fernandes, De Guzman and Hargreaves go back to Canada every break etc. Big difference. He came here at 12 as a refugee and doesn't go back like these other "Canadians". Canada obviously played a more major role for him than Sierra Leone.

As far as I know, he doesn't go back to Africa to visit. I know Moses personally, he was on my U18 club team, and I don't ever recall Moses going back to Sierre Leon to visit.

Actually, Thomas is in town right now.

quote:Originally posted by Soccrman

Without wishing to pour water on anything you really need to check this out properly before you annoint Thomas!! He's not a bad player, quick, skillful but VERY small - but only played local league in Cgy - not even AMSL. His record is below. In Cgy there are some of his age group who even doubt he went to play for MUFC and he's not listed as an academy player on the MUFC website. If he managed to play all 18 games for his club how did he have time to go to Manchester for trials, never mid play in the Milk Cup? He's certainly not at national team level.

http://www.cusa.ab.ca/league.php?scriptName=TEAMROSTER&teamID=2845&sportID=1&leagueID=1000&divisionID=55554&seasonID=7397

Thomas Kargbo 18 app 7 goals

I've played against thomas before, during MUN winter league and what not, but I haven't seen him play since he was with the Canada Games team in 2005. Now, back then I would say he was definatly NTC level, but not big, or even fast enough, to warrent an automatic spot on a youth national team. That is just my opinon. [Edited]I was also surprised to find out he was at Manchester United.

However, he was playing in our intermediate teir 1 league the other day, and he was absoultly "tearing it shreads", to quote some guys on my team that saw the game. I get the impression he's improved vastly since going to Manchester, so I'll try and get it out and see him the weekend to fill you guys in. I suspect he's definatly way way better than when he left.

I wouldn't compare him to JDG2 right now, but his situation has potential to add to our program if capped.

Let's not forget Obinna that the Inter League in Nl that he is tearing up is about Div 5 or lower in any onther City in Canada. Not exactly a direct route to ManU. Not to mention How can he play in this league if he played for Pars in Alberta this season???

quote:Originally posted by Bates

Let's not forget Obinna that the Inter League in Nl that he is tearing up is about Div 5 or lower in any onther City in Canada. Not exactly a direct route to ManU. Not to mention How can he play in this league if he played for Pars in Alberta this season???

C'mon now Bates. We both know that tier 2 intermediate teams are disgusting, but there is no way tier 1 teams are "Div 5". My team, which is rather average for tier 1, has a MUN player and a former UPEI player, and a few more players who have played Challenge Cup at some point(myself included)--hardly Div 5.

Before he left, I know he wouldn't be able to "tear it up" like he did (ive seen him play enough to know that). So i'm guessing he has improved drasticlly, which isn't no surprise considering whom he's been playing with in England.

Archived