Thomas Kargbo

Obinna

Guest Soccrman
quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Very harsh soccrman.

Sorry - not trying to destroy the kid - but, come on, the OP finally admits he hasn't seen him play since 2005 - the Youttube is about HS soccer -which is rubbish here and the MUN league is way too low - don't understand why we push players like this when there are much better - even in Calgary!!

when I watched the utube video there was a few about Cody Cook - a much better player than Thomas in my opinion - and I don't see anybody pushing him for the natl team

Just as an example Obinna, Joe Chiccinni, last years top scorer in NL Challenge Cup played a little Div 3 in Calgary this summer and did not light it up. A few years ago a player named Mike Wall was the best player Marystown had and they won the Pronvincial Championship. I watched him play Div 5 in Calgary so I'm not sure how you rank your league but I have had the benefit of seeing many leagues in a few Provinces and I stick by my Div 5 level comment. I also watched some of your league this past summer. St, John's U-16s play in that league and hold their own. That would not happen anywhere else in the Country.

quote:Originally posted by Soccrman

Sorry - not trying to destroy the kid - but, come on, the OP finally admits he hasn't seen him play since 2005 - the Youttube is about HS soccer -which is rubbish here and the MUN league is way too low - don't understand why we push players like this when there are much better - even in Calgary!!

when I watched the utube video there was a few about Cody Cook - a much better player than Thomas in my opinion - and I don't see anybody pushing him for the natl team

Cody Cook is that guy in Germany right? Mabye he's MORE deserving of a national team call up, who knows? I am not saying Thomas deserves an automatic place with the U-20's or anything. Actually, if he wasn't at Manchester United I wouldn't even post about him. But, considering he has been over there and done okay, MABYE he should be looked at (if he has enough quality, which is possible...because its Man U). I know it seems unbelievable that Thomas was at Man U, but look past that. The fact is--he IS involved with them, so I just wanted to make V's aware, so we can keep an eye on his progress.

quote:Originally posted by Bates

Just as an example Obinna, Joe Chiccinni, last years top scorer in NL Challenge Cup played a little Div 3 in Calgary this summer and did not light it up. A few years ago a player named Mike Wall was the best player Marystown had and they won the Pronvincial Championship. I watched him play Div 5 in Calgary so I'm not sure how you rank your league but I have had the benefit of seeing many leagues in a few Provinces and I stick by my Div 5 level comment. I also watched some of your league this past summer. St, John's U-16s play in that league and hold their own. That would not happen anywhere else in the Country.

Mike Wall was the best player on Marystown? I played against them with Cross the year they won and I don't even know who that guy is. I would say Jonny Pickett was their most dangerous player that year.

Oh, and St. John's U16's apparently tied Fieldians Challenge Cup team(who are playing in nationals in a few weeks) 1-1 the other day, and they have a player being scouted by Leister City in England(don't know the name).

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Mike Wall was the best player on Marystown? I played against them with Cross the year they won and I don't even know who that guy is. I would say Jonny Pickett was their most dangerous player that year.

Oh, and St. John's U16's apparently tied Fieldians Challenge Cup team(who are playing in nationals in a few weeks) 1-1 the other day, and they have a player being scouted by Leister City in England(don't know the name).

If you look at the overall record of NL teams at the National Men's Tournament you'll see they been quite competitive with the rest of the country. There are many, many players in the NL league that can step into the top level of amateur play in any province (and have done so eg Mike Howlett with Calgary Caledonians).

I don't think Mike Wall is a great example of the standard of play in the NL Challenge Cup... and he was nowhere near Marystown's best player in 2004. I remember their top players being Brian Francis, Johnny Pickett and Darrell Stewart.

Wall was Corner Brook's top scorer in the 2003 Challenge Cup when they made it to the Labour Day tournament. Marystown must have picked him up for the 2004 season at some point, but he didn't score a goal that year until extra-time in the Labour Day final against St. Lawrence (which is great timing!). So he either came back from wherever for that one game or was injured most of the year. http://www.laurentianshomepage.com/Archives.html

Prior to this he only ever played at the Intermediate level and 5 of his 6 goals in 2003 came at the beginning of the season. http://www.laurentianshomepage.com/Who's%20Hot.html

However, to be fair to players like Wall, it can be tough to crack the inner circle of those top teams in any Premier Division. That's why most end up just playing where they can get a game. Perhaps your performance suffers because the motivation isn't the same or your teammates don't provide the same number of chances to score. Certainly my experience has been that the way teams approach the game can be very different from province to province, which can take some time to get used to.

At the same time this whole Thomas Kargbo thing doesn't make a lot of sense. I remember him being in the NLSA Provincial program (I think in the U16s?)... did he then move to Calgary? How did he then find his way to Manchester? Being at Man U is no small deal... if he was (or is) with them at his age he would have had a contract... and he would have been prohibited from playing soccer anywhere else, especially a recreational league. Also, if he was at Man U under contract and released he would have lots of offers from other lower league clubs - so, why has he returned to NL? Either there is much more to this story or it is a very, very odd situation.

Guest Jeffery S.

This web site is so entertaining sometimes - the pithy little arguments are great reads for Sunday mornings. ;)

But you have to admit that the prospect of there being real untapped talent in Nu-fn-lAAn is quite interesting. Imagine if we had a real cohesive national scouting system, and more interprovicial competition, we'd probably see it flourish even more.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Well, if he's a fraud then he fooled Global Calgary too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8XzfGm4u8

How old is that report? The announcers lead off with the comment: " Last week Owen Hargreaves was Traded to Manchester U.." . His transfer from Man U occurred in the summer of 2007. The problem here is media and their reliability when it comes to this topic. When I hear word like traded to Man U and the Manchester United franchise, I quickly begin to suspect that they don't know the difference between a trial and joining the Man U youth team.

What could have happened is that he went there on a trial. I googled his name plus Manchester United and came up with nothing really credible linking the two, I suspect that it was nothing more that a trial that he went to. Someone mentioned earlier that his name did not appear on the Man U site in the academy section. I would think that in that age group, you would spot the names.

Therefore what probably happened is that he went for a trial.

If you read the link in the first thread it says he was at ManU for a trial, and he will be headed back and from there he might be offered a three-year contract. That's why he isn't on the acadamy roster on the website. He is only back in Newfoundland to visit Moses and the rest of his family.

Now, if he isn't successful in landing a contract, which is always possible, I would hope that being a ManU trialist will open up other options for him. Also, he has been offered scholarships from NCAA Div. 1 schools (the article mentions Illionis in pirticular)

[Edited]

From the article...

"Going pro?

Kargbo isn't finished with Manchester United Academy, not by far.

On Boxing Day, he'll return to compete in a Christmas tournament. While there, he'll explore the possibility of signing a three-year contract with the club.

But with several scholarship offers on the table from U.S. colleges - including one from the University of Illinois - Kargbo has yet to decide his fate."

well that basically clears that up - why not all support him in his venture. even if he is on the MUFC youth squad for 2 years it is likely he won't make the first team, but rather muchmore likely he'll transfer to a league 1 or 2 side and continue his pro career. in which, the canadian squad continues to grow.

well that basically clears that up - why not all support him in his venture. even if he is on the MUFC youth squad for 2 years it is likely he won't make the first team, but rather muchmore likely he'll transfer to a league 1 or 2 side and continue his pro career. in which, the canadian squad continues to grow.

I would love this kid to make it at Man U and make Canada proud... but does anyone know how old the boy is? I thought he was 15 in 2003 when he was on the NLSA Provincial U16s. If that was right he'd be 20 now. Even if he was 13 (so playing in the NLSA U14s) he would be 18 now. Academy football in England ends at U18. So he might be too old for the MUFC youth side. Or was he much younger than I thought in 2003?

^When he was on the Canada Games team in 2005 I think he was only 14, which would make him 17 now.

[Edited]

Actually, the article says he is 18 years old already, so I guess if he signs on with them he will either be with the reserves, or probably loaned out.

^If his birthday is after August 31st he would still be in the U18 age group then. If not he's up against an even tougher group of 19 to 21 year olds (or so) in the Reserves. Good luck to him. I hope he does well. Although playing for Intermediate teams is not the best way to prepare. :)

Has he said what he's going to be doing between now and his second trial in December?

^ I agree, the MUN team trains often and St. Lawerence and Fieldians are deffinatly busy preparing for next weeks nationals--those are much safer options, intermediate can get dirty lol. I wonder if either of those teams would be willing to let him take part in their training if he approached them?

If he has not signed with any amateur club already (or pro for that matter) in Canada or England I wonder if one of those teams could pick him up for Nationals? Fieldians especially might be tempted if he is really that good. Or does the player have to have played at least one game for that club during their season?

• 3 months later...
quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

is he linked to Willem II player Ibrahim Kargbo ?

Ibrahim Kargbo is his uncle. for a talented young man to have overcome such adversity at such a young age, he deserves a chance to fulfil his potential. This summer Thomas kargbo is going back home for Sierra Leone nationals team camp that he was invited to. our country is a very save country. We are very proud to have such a young Talented player like him

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/4748802.stm

my job is to go around Europe and look for young Sierra Leonean like Thomas and follow them and get there story and send it to the Sierra Leonean Football Association i was in England last month watching this young men his a very Talented young footballer at the age of 18 i think he have a promises future in the football world as for him and United His agent couldn't work out a deal with them but as far for the young player they are few clubs in England have intersted in him . i talk to his Dad Moses kargbo he said he would love to see his son play for his home country. Most of you guys are wondering how come his name is not on the team websit he was never on the team yet Thomas was down there for a trail. keep your eye out for this young men the next few years or so. Thomas leave for Africa jun 30th

quote:Originally posted by Martyr

I would love this kid to make it at Man U and make Canada proud... but does anyone know how old the boy is? I thought he was 15 in 2003 when he was on the NLSA Provincial U16s. If that was right he'd be 20 now. Even if he was 13 (so playing in the NLSA U14s) he would be 18 now. Academy football in England ends at U18. So he might be too old for the MUFC youth side. Or was he much younger than I thought in 2003?

• 6 years later...

Archived