"Bring the World to Ottawa"

Luis_Rancagua

Did anyone ever consider this? Melnyk is a billionaire! And smarter than anyone on this board obviously, do you think a billionaire would throw down this sort of money and risk if he didn't think it would work?

I am sure the MLS/Garber realize this also and also realize that they would LOVE to have a team close to MLS's biggest market TORONTO.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Did anyone ever consider this? Melnyk is a billionaire! And smarter than anyone on this board obviously, do you think a billionaire would throw down this sort of money and risk if he didn't think it would work?

I am sure the MLS/Garber realize this also and also realize that they would LOVE to have a team close to MLS's biggest market TORONTO.

Bigger than Los Angeles?

Point taken, though.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I would if I think that he's going by misleading market research (which I do). If he thinks that he'll get 20K fans to show up to MLS just because that many came out to see Argentina and Mexico in a one-off tournament last year, then he's got rocks in his head.

For some reason Ottawa got the street cred that it supports soccer after the showing at the U20s, which I think was an aberration and not the norm. If Melnyk is banking on this, then the franchise is in trouble. That's my biggest worry.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Bigger than Los Angeles?

Point taken, though.

After seeing the crowd for TFC @ the Galaxy this year I would definitely say yes. TFC consistently sells out no matter who we are playing. Galaxy has a mega star in Beckham and still has some troubles. I think their average attendance is exaggerated like 90% of MLS. Trying to pump into consumers that MLS is some popular league and there is good attendance around the league when if you look at it there isn't except for 2-3 teams.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I would if I think that he's going by misleading market research (which I do). If he thinks that he'll get 20K fans to show up to MLS just because that many came out to see Argentina and Mexico in a one-off tournament last year, then he's got rocks in his head.

For some reason Ottawa got the street cred that it supports soccer after the showing at the U20s, which I think was an aberration and not the norm. If Melnyk is banking on this, then the franchise is in trouble. That's my biggest worry.

You need to look deeper at the numbers and further and longer back, and in anycase Melynk and Senators Sports is putting up a bid to get a "Entertainment" property, they will market and get the casuals in the seats and hope they convert to consistent fans, the 18 to 30 year old market hear in Ottawa is huge, if they can tap into that at reasonable price points they will have Toronto atmosphere and more...

I can really see Thursday night home games being filled up with a young crowd with over 40% females if they do the marketing right. With huge ballons being launched floating lazily over the stadia .. its going to be marketers dream ... this thing will fly.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

You need to look deeper at the numbers and further and longer back, and in anycase Melynk and Senators Sports is putting up a bid to get a "Entertainment" property, they will market and get the casuals in the seats and hope they convert to consistent fans, the 18 to 30 year old market hear in Ottawa is huge, if they can tap into that at reasonable price points they will have Toronto atmosphere and more...

That's a scary business plan.

One of the ways I see that happening is to create an exciting atmosphere that makes people want to come back for more (a la TFC like you say). From everything I've heard though, they're going the other way atmosphere-wise (very family friendly/soccer mom and dad audience).

Don't get me wrong, I want this to succeed. However, so far everything I've seen has made me skeptical.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

That's a scary business plan.

One of the ways I see that happening is to create an exciting atmosphere that makes people want to come back for more (a la TFC like you say). From everything I've heard though, they're going the other way atmosphere-wise (very family friendly/soccer mom and dad audience).

Don't get me wrong, I want this to succeed. However, so far everything I've seen has made me skeptical.

I agree with that a little bit as well. As much as I would want an MLS team in Ottawa, what I really do not want is an Canadian MLS team folding. We already have enough difficulty with euro-soccer-snobs as it is, no reason to make it easier for them to discredit the game.

The marketSSSS are there in Ottawa but you cannot isolate one (the young hip wannabe hooligans) over the other (the mom and dad and kids looking for reasonably priced sporting entertainment - which the NHL is not) or even the (euro centric) but you have to find a way for them to co-exist.

Just the handling of the announcement IMO shows that Melnyk has a pretty good grasp of how this will work and that he needs to get everyone on board. Unless Montreal has already been given the key to the executive washroom (which is one explanation for their lack of effort) I think the 2011 franchise for the Eastern Conference could very well come down to either Montreal, Ottawa or New York if they get their act together quickly.

Right now though most will disagree I think Ottawa is ahead of Montreal even without a stadium. The Impact are just not doing enough (off the field) from an outsiders POV to still be leading the race. I think six months Montreal was clearly a front runner over almost all but they are slipping quickly. Of course if the Mets come on board with a solid proposal for a stadium and a second team in NYC they go to the top of the list.

The economic sands are shifting quickly under the feet of some of the players in this game - especially in the US - so he who is willing to write the cheque for $40 million (and more likely $50m as the original owners would like to recover some of their old losses and to strike now when the iron is hot makes sense and a bidding war is likely)is going to win the race. I wouldn't count Melnyk and Leeder out they may be further ahead in this race than anyone realizes...

Listening to team 990 out of Montreal last night ..commenters were saying Joey Saputo may not be putting out much effort because he does not think the franchise fee of forty million makes sense.

He is still trying to find the right formula in Montreal to get a hip younger crowd and is hampered as of this time.. the ethnic crowd has not embraced the the Impact and the reality is the ethnic crowd will only be there if the team is ethnic.

The Impact run in the Champions League for Concacaf will tell them a lot in terms of can they build a crowd week over week without having most tickets sold through the Quebec Soccer Association to soccer teams.

The crowd obviously was hurt on Wednesday by the rain, but next week Atlante will be good test ... of what can be or wont in Montreal.

Although I am sure MLS in Ottawa will market to moms and dads it will miss its real oppourtunity if it does not get the eighteen to thirty demographic hooked. That means marketing and building around what such a young group wants... player recognition, fun in the stands, social connection.

Put that together and the town will embrace the team and the game.

I hope the marketers once the franchise is granted will do a lot of traveling to other soccer venues in Canada and out and see what works and what wont be transferable.

I would love to see those people go to see Gremio or Atletica Paraense and the stadia etc.. to get a solid understanding of what it is like in the midst of the crowd, hopefully the person tasked with managing security will go and visit stadia and be in the crowd to understand how to run security.

Joey Sap is trying to lure a "younger, hip crowd"? He must be blind and deaf as well as stupid. From what I have read, mostly on this forum, is that young hipsters in Montréal are very much discouraged from attending matches at Stade Sap in favour of soccer mums and families.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Listening to team 990 out of Montreal last night ..commenters were saying Joey Saputo may not be putting out much effort because he does not think the franchise fee of forty million makes sense.

He is still trying to find the right formula in Montreal to get a hip younger crowd and is hampered as of this time.. the ethnic crowd has not embraced the the Impact and the reality is the ethnic crowd will only be there if the team is ethnic.

This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I truly think that Saputo and Gillet are definitely in for the big one. I doubt it very much that they are backing down...

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Joey Sap is trying to lure a "younger, hip crowd"? He must be blind and deaf as well as stupid. From what I have read, mostly on this forum, is that young hipsters in Montréal are very much discouraged from attending matches at Stade Sap in favour of soccer mums and families.

That is certainly the case. By giving away hundreds of tickets a game to kids' teams, actively discouraging banners and standing sections, and filling the 20 minute intermission with circus-atmosphere sponsored clowning, they are clearly NOT targeting young and hip (nor ethnic). Puzzling to say the least.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I truly think that Saputo and Gillet are definitely in for the big one. I doubt it very much that they are backing down...

Luis - The problem is no formal announcement has been made that Gillet has joined forces with Saputo... does not mean it has not happened but at this point despite playing footsies in the spring no formal agreement is place (at least publicly) and I don't think the Saputo's would go alone on this one.

The exact quote in March from Saputo was:

"I can confirm that we are in discussions with Gillett Entertainment Group as well as with Major League Soccer to bring an MLS franchise to Montreal," Saputo said in a statement.

"However, I am currently in no position to share any more details, since doing so would jeopardize the process."

Nothing has - literally - been heard since. Like I said previously maybe they already got the keys to the executive washroom but the lack of any kind of noise from Montreal is a bit disquieting.

Soccer is HUGE for young people in Canada now. In 10-15 years we are going to see Soccer dominating TVs in Canada.

At school I was working in the computer lab Real Madrid kits, Celtic shirts, Man Utd hats, TORONTO FC is everywhere seriously, hats, shirts and tons of kits around campus. Glanced at someone's computer for a quick second and they are on the UEFA site or goal.com.

TV channels in Canada are missing out, put soccer on TV you won't be dissapointed.

Archived