York Yeomen

loyola

Really strong team for Carmine Isacco at York this season. A lot of former and current U-20's in that squad.

Here's some of the known players:

Former 2003 U-20's starting keeper Alim Karim (good to see him back playing after breaking his leg in Hungary).

Carmelo Rago (former U-17 players and also played for Edmonton Aviators)

Jarek Whiteman (current member of the U-20's pool and was part of the 2007 U-17 NT)

Francesco Bruno (former 2003 U-20 midfielder, also played for the U-17's in 2001)

Jamaal Smith (former TFC)

Nana Attakora-Gyan (current TFC and U-20's)

Andrea Lombardo (former TFC and U-20's)

Adrian Pena (I think he's the kid who was with TFC U-18's earlier this year but got boot out because of some problems with his parents).

York has played 2 games so far and won 5-0 over Guelph and 3-0 over Waterloo (lombardo and Whiteman have 2 goals each so far). It will be worth following this team, surely a candidate for the CIS National Championship.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Are any of them actually going to school?

What's your point? This isn't an NCAA men's basketball program...I would imagine all of them are going to school, the only think that may cause a problem is a trial or a pro contract offer.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Really strong team for Carmine Isacco at York this season. A lot of former and current U-20's in that squad.

Here's some of the known players:

Former 2003 U-20's starting keeper Alim Karim (good to see him back playing after breaking his leg in Hungary).

Carmelo Rago (former U-17 players and also played for Edmonton Aviators)

Jarek Whiteman (current member of the U-20's pool and was part of the 2007 U-17 NT)

Francesco Bruno (former 2003 U-20 midfielder, also played for the U-17's in 2001)

Jamaal Smith (former TFC)

Nana Attakora-Gyan (current TFC and U-20's)

Andrea Lombardo (former TFC and U-20's)

Adrian Pena (I think he's the kid who was with TFC U-18's earlier this year but got boot out because of some problems with his parents).

York has played 2 games so far and won 5-0 over Guelph and 3-0 over Waterloo (lombardo and Whiteman have 2 goals each so far). It will be worth following this team, surely a candidate for the CIS National Championship.

Whoa....that team would probably give teams like UCSB, University of Maryland, and University of Kentucky a run for their money.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Is Nana Attakora-Gyan on a devolopmental player contract at TFC? Because full professionals aren't allowed to play University ball. At least I think that's how the rules go.

yes...Nana is on a DEV contract.

I'd like to see York, but I checked the schedule and they never play RMC or Queens. I saw they have two conferences in the OUA, but how does it work when they get to the playoffs, I mean is there still a chance of getting to see York play in Kingston?

quote:Originally posted by Back to Basics

How in the name does he get these players carmen appears to be the godfather of soccer in ontario... Richard Asante at shooters, Lombardo at york,Smith at york,Karim at york...... He just summons players like a dark lord or something its amazing. Adrain Pena is also capped at u-17 for canada. Its really something

He coached most of these players since they were 12 or 13 years old.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I'd like to see York, but I checked the schedule and they never play RMC or Queens. I saw they have two conferences in the OUA, but how does it work when they get to the playoffs, I mean is there still a chance of getting to see York play in Kingston?

You won't see York play in Kingston this season. The OUA playoffs will be held in the West this year (Carleton/East hosted them last season). Queen's may play York if they both make the playoffs as there is a crossover between East and West (1stW v 2ndE, 1stE v 2ndW).

Best chance to see the Lions might be to buy tickets for the CIS Nationals held at Carleton in early November. Sounds like York are a shoo-in to be there.

gws

Archived