CRTC approves new CBC sports channel

red card

limits placed on pro soccer coverage - my calculations say max is 2 matches per week - but I assume it excludes women's and youth team + CIS coverage which should fall under amateur.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080820.wsptcrtc_cbc20/GSStory/GlobeSports/home

The regulators also said no more than 30 per cent of weekly broadcasts could involve pro sports and only 10 per cent of that could be hockey, baseball, football, basketball, golf, soccer or tennis.

I expect from a soccer perspective we will see couple of things right away: occassional TFC games and English versions of Impact games (from the R-C production). I'd also think that there will be a lot of track and field competitions from around the world, maybe some CIS sports, and regular NLL lacrosse games. This is a good thing for Canadian sports fans.

Also, I don't think international matches count as pro, but I could be wrong.

Jason

CBC says they'd like to launch 1st quarter, 2009. The more, the merrier I say. CBC holds the rights to a ton of events they can't do justice to on Saturdays, so there's lots of content they can go with. The odd hockey game, soccer match, or major event should be the incentive to drop down an extra $2 a month. It should also be the end of sports on CBC Bold.

TSN2 will hopefully be the answer to the constant Champions League conflicts with curling and tennis.

One other application worth watching is the Canadian Olympic Committee's bid for an amateur sports channel. It's a bit of a long shot, as they've applied to be a "must carry" license...something the CRTC frowns on.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

since we're talking about sports channels, tsn is coming out with TSN2 at the end of the month, with the intention of increasing the number of live sporting events they can show. Who knows what impact this will have on soccer.

None I suspect. Except for one or two extra Champions league games

Since when is soccer considered a high profile sport in this country? How stupid is that! If they lump all of those sports (hockey, football, baseball, basketball and soccer) together under that category, what sport do you think the CBC will choose to show? Hockey of course. CBC SportPlus should have no limit on the amount of soccer (espcially Canadian soccer) that they are allowed to show because all of the other Sport networks virtually ignore the sport.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Since when is soccer considered a high profile sport in this country? How stupid is that! If they lump all of those sports (hockey, football, baseball, basketball and soccer) together under that category, what sport do you think the CBC will choose to show? Hockey of course. CBC SportPlus should have no limit on the amount of soccer (espcially Canadian soccer) that they are allowed to show because all of the other Sport networks virtually ignore the sport.

Yet the CRTC has already allowed three channels that cater specifically to a soccer audience, GOLTV, FOX, and Setanta ... Don't forget there has been Canadian content on all three of these channels. I assume this new CBC channel will not be a must carry, so there is a limit on how much you can dilute the market. It costs a fortune already to have all those channels, plus TSN and Sportsnet too. We do get to watch a lot of soccer on TV here, especially other leagues, we just have to pony up the cash for it.

Archived