Julian Uccello Interview

jpg75

i was disappointed when he was left off that u20 team, really thought he was as good as will johnson at the time, but in hindsight it seems that mitchell made a justifiable decision. at least he's not bitter and seems committed to canada. hopefully he will take his game to the next level soon.

maybe it would be good for him to leave italy. seems that our italian-canadian players all seem to hit a wall there pretty quick. and this goes back to sandro grande in 2000 or whenever he went to brescia. talented players but not one has had any kind of success.

Kind of sad nobody called him since 2005. Can the CSA not cover Dale Mitchell's phone bills? It'd be nice if our association would let our players know they existed.

Time will tell if he is doing the right thing by staying down at a lower level. As the leagues get higher, there are basically no gifts, you will always have to fight for a spot. Sure the coach might pencil you in as third or fourth, but an injury and a bit of luck later you might find yourself in a better position. Different approaches would work for different people.

I think Jamie Peters would have been much better off pushing himself to fight for a spot on a higher level club in the past as opposed to staying with a lower division side. At the very least he could put "big english club" on his resume, then rejects like Mo Johnston would always want him on his team, regardless of how many times he failed.

Uccello may well be a better suited to work his way up than Peters. Can't really speculate as i haven't seen him play.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

i was disappointed when he was left off that u20 team, really thought he was as good as will johnson at the time, but in hindsight it seems that mitchell made a justifiable decision.

Justifiable decision? He ended up taking an underage Lombardo in Uccello's place and what good was that?

quote:Originally posted by masster

Justifiable decision? He ended up taking an underage Lombardo in Uccello's place and what good was that?

Age difference between Lombardo and Uccello.....6 months. I'm not sure we can talk about an underrage Lombardo in this instance when he's only 6 months younger than Uccello and both guys were playing at the same level at that time.

At that time, people who were complaining about Uccello getting cut where arguing that Will Johnson should've been cut.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Kind of sad nobody called him since 2005. Can the CSA not cover Dale Mitchell's phone bills? It'd be nice if our association would let our players know they existed.

Time will tell if he is doing the right thing by staying down at a lower level. As the leagues get higher, there are basically no gifts, you will always have to fight for a spot. Sure the coach might pencil you in as third or fourth, but an injury and a bit of luck later you might find yourself in a better position. Different approaches would work for different people.

I think Jamie Peters would have been much better off pushing himself to fight for a spot on a higher level club in the past as opposed to staying with a lower division side. At the very least he could put "big english club" on his resume, then rejects like Mo Johnston would always want him on his team, regardless of how many times he failed.

Uccello may well be a better suited to work his way up than Peters. Can't really speculate as i haven't seen him play.

That's something I thought about too. Problem for Julian is he got burnt doing that a few years back, he was with a team in C2 and didn't see much PT. Also, Mr. Uccello mentioned in the past that a number of teams in Italy employ only one forward, so that kind of limits options too.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

That's something I thought about too. Problem for Julian is he got burnt doing that a few years back, he was with a team in C2 and didn't see much PT. Also, Mr. Uccello mentioned in the past that a number of teams in Italy employ only one forward, so that kind of limits options too.

I hear ya, it's definately no easy task. The opporunity window is generally very small.

Couldn't argue with his decision to continue on with his current team and build his CV. Hopefully that will create a solid opporunity for him to continue working his way up through the ranks.

^ I'm not going to compare Julian to Luca Toni but Toni did "languish" in the lower levels of Italian soccer for many years before making his way through the ranks and ultimately becomming a global star.

It's better for Julian to play, ALOT, and score lots of goals. Staying healthy is key too because teams get spooked by guys with injury issues.

Julian is wise to follow the advice he's being given because moving up only to ride the pine is a recipe for a stalled career. If he continues to impress, he'll be signed to a bigger club that has plans to use rather than bring him to be cover for their existing starters.

Archived