sneaky soccer strategy

nolando

You can't do that. It is considered that the keeper still has control of the ball, even if he puts it down and even if he backs up a few step of pushes the ball forward in order to get a good kick. What the player in yellow did in this video earns him a caution for unsporting behavior.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I've seen Chevanton do something similar when he was still with Lecce.

I'll see if I can hunt it down.

And here you go:

I can see how this would be illegal, but the other poach looks fine to me. If it is illegal, it's a stupid rule. When the goalie puts the ball on the ground he can't pick it back up so that seems like putting it into play to me.

Guest Jeffery S.

Of course it is legal. Here is a great one, by Tamudo, final of the King's Cup, Espanyol-At. Madrid, a great moment for a great goal.

Toni the Atletico keeper came throught he Espanyol system. Came in the first minutes of the game and broke it open for Espanyol who won it.

Murri, murri, murri says the Catalan commentator, which means tricky intelligence, heads up legal trickery.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Surpised we havent seen this pulled on us in CONCACAF:

In all three cases it looks like the keeper released the ball and therefore it was in free play, given that it goes directly to the opposing player ( by his actions sneaky or muri or what ever ) the player is onside and can score.

In the English case the first one .. I tend to agree with The Ref that it is a yellow card for unsportmanslike conduct he hid.. stayed purposely out of view ... as the others mmm the keeper has six seconds to release the ball, it seems reasonable at the point of holding oppostion players have six seconds to vacate the area behind the goalie, I know its not a rule but I would love to see the International Board Interpretation....

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

In all three cases it looks like the keeper released the ball and therefore it was in free play, given that it goes directly to the opposing player ( by his actions sneaky or muri or what ever ) the player is onside and can score.

In the English case the first one .. I tend to agree with The Ref that it is a yellow card for unsportmanslike conduct he hid.. stayed purposely out of view ... as the others mmm the keeper has six seconds to release the ball, it seems reasonable at the point of holding oppostion players have six seconds to vacate the area behind the goalie, I know its not a rule but I would love to see the International Board Interpretation....

Yes but all pro keepers secure the ball, step out quickly towards the edge of the box and look behind to see who is there. Instinctively, and always. And then make the play, unless they have already seen it clearly and they either ignore the guy behind them or know there isn't anyone.

I don't think the international board has to dictate against "hiding", after all the playing field is level. It is enough to say you can't interfere with the goalkick motion one moving forwards from hand to foot.

Thierry Henry pulled off a trick where he tapped the ball out of mid air upon the keeper releasing it before the kick. It was called off then, but I do recall the announcers stating there was nothing illegal about it according to the rules, and I think the Referees Association later said it should have stood because it was legal.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I can see how this would be illegal, but the other poach looks fine to me. If it is illegal, it's a stupid rule. When the goalie puts the ball on the ground he can't pick it back up so that seems like putting it into play to me.

The interpretation made was precisely to avoid this type of nonsense. The key is not whether the ball is in play, it is ruled that the keeper has control of it. Once he releases control as being kicked or thrown, then it can be intercepted. The fact that if the keeper puts the ball down and hence cannot pick it up with his hands, he still has control of it with his feet. I believe this ruling came out in 2006.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

The interpretation made was precisely to avoid this type of nonsense. The key is not whether the ball is in play, it is ruled that the keeper has control of it. Once he releases control as being kicked or thrown, then it can be intercepted. The fact that if the keeper puts the ball down and hence cannot pick it up with his hands, he still has control of it with his feet. I believe this ruling came out in 2006.

I don't have my rule book handy but if someone out there could find the actual wording for this scenario, I would greatly appreciate it. I never realized that was the case.

This is all news to me I thought the 6 second rule only applied to ball in hand and that when the keeper put it down he was fair game to be tackled. Now he has this invisible shield around him until he decides to boot it? hmmm...I don't like this development to be honest it seems unnecessary.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html

Post July 1, 2008 edition, page 111

quote:

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands

for more than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control

of the ball:

• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any

surface (e.g. ground, own body)

• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand

• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands,

he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

Offences committed against goalkeepers:

• It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing

the ball from his hands

• A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if

he kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the

process of releasing it

In other words, if the keeper drops the ball to play it with his feet, you're free to go nuts.

Archived