Julian DeGuzman - Player Of the Year

AJ

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/news.php DEPORTIVO-LA-CORUNA.COM PLAYER OF THE YEAR: JULIAN DE GUZMAN 24 May 2008 -- RCDLC.com peña members elect each season the best player, the best newcomer and the best young player (U-23) at Depor's squad. This season, Julian De Guzmán has won the award of player of the year, while the best young award and best newcomer award is for Andrés Guardado. De Guzmán was a crucial piece in Lotina's midfield and Guardado was one the best players in the squad at the beginning of the liga tournament. The procedure used is very simple: Each deportivo-la-coruna.com peña member awarded the three best Depor's players in every official match (liga & copa) with the options of 5, 3 or 1 point according to their performance. The totals of each match were added and the best three players on each game were awarded with 5, 3 or 1 point. The totals were accumulated and the winner resulted to be the player with the higher number of points according to the three categories And the best player for the season 2007/2008 is Julian de Guzmán. The Canadian midfielder fulfilled his third season at Depor and once again demonstrated to be a vital piece in Depor’s strategy. The ex-Hannover 96 was one of the four pivotes at the squad and was the one with more minutes on the liga season (2,923). He should be considered as the lung in midfield, the player responsible for the defensive tasks and the first line of defence against the rival's attacks. One of his main characteristics is his consistency. De Guzmán only missed four matches in the whole liga campaign and in fact, he only missed 90 minutes on the pitch during the second round. And this absence was caused by a suspension for the visit game against RCD Mallorca. Encounter that Depor lost (0-1) and in which his absence was noticed. RCDLC.com peña members always valued his heart and sacrifice in the games, that's why he was rewarded with 59 points in his 34 matches played on the liga campaign (he didn't play in copa del rey). As example the game against Villarreal at the Riazor, the last one of the season. Depor lost the encounter, but the work of the Canadian international was applauded by the peña members as all the voters for the game awarded him with the 5 points, the higher possible number in the voting system. In this way, De Guzmán becomes the third player distinguished with the award within the last four seasons: The final table of points for the season 2007/2008:

Guest Jeffery S.

Good link and good site, Julian beat out the outside back Manuel Pablo.

Also see there that Depor has signed Omar Bravo the Mexican striker and is looking at Sergio Garcia, with Zaragoza, who may unload him as they relegated. With more striking and if they hold on to the defensive players they will be very strong next year.

I'm surprised this news has received so few comments. I know its a busy week BUT when was the last time a Canadian was named the top player for their club team in a top 3 league. I know Deportivo isn't Barca or ManU or anything like that but, personally, I think this is huge news and Julian deserves huge Kudos from all V's.

I'm quite disappointed the media has not picked up on this in any significant way.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I'm surprised this news has received so few comments. I know its a busy week BUT when was the last time a Canadian was named the top player for their club team in a top 3 league. I know Deportivo isn't Barca or ManU or anything like that but, personally, I think this is huge news and Julian deserves huge Kudos from all V's.

I'm quite disappointed the media has not picked up on this in any significant way.

I'll tell you why I didn't comment...the news didn't surprise me. From everything that we had been hearing/reading he had a fantastic year. We know Julian is good. Its as simple as that.

I think we're all waiting for the announcement which says The Guz made La Liga's 1st Eleven.

quote:

I'll tell you why I didn't comment...the news didn't surprise me. From everything that we had been hearing/reading he had a fantastic year. We know Julian is good. Its as simple as that.

Same here. In fact, I wouldn't expect anything less from him, he's a great player. With Deportivo picking up Omar Bravo, hopefully they can push for a UEFA cup spot next season (mabye even a CL spot).

If you count the congratulations on all THREE threads that are on the same subject, there are a few 'Kudos' out there.

As to the media. Well, the media, you know, largely doesn't have a clue. David Beckham from 70 yards is quite sufficient thanks.

Guest Jeffery S.

Do you think he has a chance? That really would be huge.

He did well and the team was the best in the league 2nd half, or close to it. But I think there are four or five superior defensive mids in the league, including Poulsen, Senna, Toure. But he is not that far off from Poulsen and is a bit more dynamic than Toure.

He still needs to improve his passing game and show a few more signs of playmaking ability, like he does for Canada, catalyzing a match by moving the ball and revolutionizing a team having problems. And he needs to lead more, take on responsibility. I know that is tough for a foreigner, but he's been here long enough.

Archived