Nats give BMO Field Turf a Yellow Card

Gian-Luca

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I should hope so. Show us you're not England supporters in disguise. (But hey, whatever you do with your full size Owen Hargreaves cut-out in the privacy of your own home is your business).

I hope you're not grouping the U-Sector in here as well.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I hope you're not grouping the U-Sector in here as well.

Not at all, Rudi. I think all the Toronto supporters groups have been great in general, and I know in particular the U-Sector have been supporting Canada as I think most of you guys -if not all- would call yourselves Voyageurs. I heard a rumour that the Red Patch Boys were built out of the ashes of a Man United supporters group. But, now, given their name and their success as a group, I think they should come out and support Canada as well -as I'm sure many have/will. I've been defending BMO in this thread, not cause I love FieldTurf, but because I think the supporters have shown the potential to give Canada the best crowd.

Not at all, Rudi. I think all the Toronto supporters groups have been great in general, and I know in particular the U-Sector have been supporting Canada as I think most of you guys -if not all- would call yourselves Voyageurs. I heard a rumour that the Red Patch Boys were built out of the ashes of a Man United supporters group. But, now, given their name and their success as a group, I think they should come out and support Canada as well -as I'm sure many have/will. I've been defending BMO in this thread, not cause I love FieldTurf, but because I think the supporters have shown the potential to give Canada the best crowd.

I can't speak for them as a group, but from what I've seen they've been very enthusiastic on jumping aboard in supporting Canada.

There are quite a few on their board who have said that they "couldn't give a toss" about the Canadian team, but for the most part it's great to have them on board.

When I was helping to drum up support for the black t-shirts last year, I found RPB to be quite enthusiastic about it. Although, I would suspect that the majority of RPB either don't care about Canada or only cheer for them in a dispassionate kind of way, I would suggest that there is a good third that would be strong Canadian supporters (I'd suggest it's about +75% at U-Sector that are strong Canada supporters).

RPB skews a little younger than U-Sector and a lot more suburban. I don't discount their passion for TFC at all, or their love of the game. For various reasons, I just don't think that they ever found the Vs prior to TFC.

For what it's worth, during the U-23 qualifications tournament I was impress by the large thread on the RPB forum for Canada games. They did have more posts in their thread then we have here. My feeling is the RPB have an interest for Canada NT and I hope to see them in numbers for the June 20th game in MTL.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

For what it's worth, during the U-23 qualifications tournament I was impress by the large thread on the RPB forum for Canada games. They did have more posts in their thread then we have here. My feeling is the RPB have an interest for Canada NT and I hope to see them in numbers for the June 20th game in MTL.

I know what you are saying, but...

RPB could have a 50 page thread debating the colour of the sky!

• 2 weeks later...

And look what happened in '81. Must be you Ukrainians in Edmonton. The Jamaicans of Ice Hockey.

Blame Montreal for that. Place is cursed for Canadian national teams.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkaloneYou're correct. And hey, I was 7 at the time, cut me a break. But none of the deciding games were held there according to wikipedia. I suspect because Edmonton fans sit on their hands. A much better reason than turf why Commonwealth shouldn't get a WCQ match.

Can't cut you a break. Team performed fine while they were out here. Shown when they decided to move the games out to the prairies for '84, which Canada clinched the title in Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

This could be the most bizarre opinion ever written on this board. You must be just trying to wind us up, because no sane person could possibly make this argument. Comparing Stalteri to Gretzky is akin to comparing Stalteri to Ronaldinho (or Gretzky to Peter Zezel).

Stalteri came out to support Canada, even at the risk to his own club carrier. Gretzky never did that, only playing for Canada when it served his own interests.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

And yet you're telling me that you never considered such a result.

Admit it. You thought the same but didn't have the balls to say so.

Err no, sometimes I try the revolutionary concept of thinking before I post. Hence...

It is difficult enough for a world class team to get three goals against another, why should we be able to do it. We lost 2-1 to Spain (in Spain). Even "minnows" have professional players with pride and skill.

It's not balls you lack dude, it's brains.

Another of your favourites is (and I'm paraphrasing) "Don't cloud this discussion with experts and facts have your own opinion."

Classic DoyleG. Luvs ya :)

Archived