CSA considers Commonwealth for Mexican Visit

fishman

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

We always talk about the opposing fans. For most Canadian fans out East (the majority), getting out to Edmonton to support the team is a costly and complicated proposition.

The only</u> factor that should be considered is enhancement to qualifying chances. If that means Newfoundland in front of 4000 fans, then that is where is what should occur. Profit or fan accessibility should be considerations for friendlies only.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The only</u> factor that should be considered is enhancement to qualifying chances. If that means Newfoundland in front of 4000 fans, then that is where is what should occur. Profit or fan accessibility should be considerations for friendlies only.

I can live with that.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Way to undersell newfoundland.

[B)]

Why does everyone **** on St. John's? granted, it isn't as cutting edge and pioneering as Toronto but many people do love the game there. Canada has a history there.

And they recently had about 4k people for a men's senior league final with I believe St. John's United vs Torbay Celtic.

I think they'ld get at least 4k for a National Match.

[8D]

really the CSA has to be very specific how they market these games. it doesn't matter which city they push they game to...i am sure toronto in october is pretty chilly as well. what i think matters most is the strategy around ticket sales and availability. they need to make it very clear that only a limited number of mexican supporters are allowed, and they should designate a section. then do everything possible to market the game to hardcore soccer fans. soccer crowds in edmonton are amazing, but if its full of kids just to fill seats i think we will be lacking that key home crowd.

we need to use really specific strategies to gain that home field advantage. how to market. who to market toward. raise awareness of games. CSA putting little adverts in local papers is not enough. they need a strong tv campaign, or something. street marketing. more ideas, and very strong limits on ticket sales for foreign supporters.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Way to undersell newfoundland.

[B)]

Why does everyone **** on St. John's? granted, it isn't as cutting edge and pioneering as Toronto but many people do love the game there. Canada has a history there.

And they recently had about 4k people for a men's senior league final with I believe St. John's United vs Torbay Celtic.

[8D]

I think it might have something to do with it being 685$ return from Toronto for a weekend in October, and the fact that there are very few posters from NF.

Edit: then again, it's 835$ to Edmonton...

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think it might have something to do with it being 685$ return from Toronto for a weekend in October, and the fact that there are very few posters from NF.

Edit: then again, it's 835$ to Edmonton...

A quick check on Westjet shows Toronto Edmonton for a weekend in october is only $704 actually... and $560 for TO-St. John's.

edit: I would give anything to go to newfoundland for a WCQ, including the $1000 dollar fare (ouch!). Got lots of newfie blood in me.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Edmonton has to come out to support the game. Don't care what the city did 10+ years ago for this tourny or that one, the fact of the matter is it's record of the last few years does not justify another chance at hosting anything.

So consistently outdrawing every host city for National Team games is something that means they do not deserve another chance? Give us one example of Edmonton letting the country down in terms of suporting National teams. Please.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

[8D]

Jesus...the comment was a reference to size of stadium only. Next time, I'll do an exhaustive search of stadium capacity and say 6000.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

So consistently outdrawing every host city for National Team games is something that means they do not deserve another chance? Give us one example of Edmonton letting the country down in terms of suporting National teams. Please.

I don't think it's really fair to say any city has let down the National Teams in support. It's pretty hard to criticize the faithful that make it out to the matches.

I've done my fair share of defending Edmonton in the past. I really like the city, the people, and we have some wonderful Voyageurs and National Team supporters in the city.

The last Senior men's game in Edmonton only drew 8500. World Cup Qualifier, beautiful Weather, Saturday game, good kick-off time. After 25,000 seeing Trinidad and Tobago for the 2002 Qualifying, this was a major let down.

The U-20 tournament as well was a real let down to some. Justified or not.

The 30K figure being thrown around for a potential Mexico game is really unjustifiably optimistic in my opinion. Please tell me the last time there was 30K at a World Cup Qualifying match for the Senior Men's National team in Canada?

30K would be an amazing attendance figure. It would be positively stunning. 20K would be a good turn-out. 15 K is realistic. Under 10K is unfortunately possible. There were many people including myself that predicted a 30K turn-out for the Honduras match in 2004. That didn't happen.

At the end of the day I'll be attending this match no matter where in the country it will be played. If it's in Edmonton great! We get to meet up again with our great Edmonton supporters, watch a great Canada win (Hopefully will be playing for more than pride come October), and drink lots of pints again at the Sherlock Holmes until the wee hours of the morning. Will I have a blast? Absolutely. Do I think it's the best venue for this match? No. This will be a big game and I want to see a section of 500+ supporters combining RPB, USector, The Voyageurs from Coast to Coast, and the Montreal Ultras. On the other side of the scale in Edmonton there will be less than 100 of us. Less than 50 is probably more realistic.

If the game is in Toronto, you can pretty much bet again that the south end of BMO will be filled with Canadian supporters.

The rest of the stadium will probably be filled with Mexican supporters though sadly, but atleast we'd have someplace to organize ourselves, unlike the U-20 game. Either way, we'd have our work cut out for us if were going to outchant/outcheer the Mexicans.

We should use the St.V & G game as a warm up.

Guest speedmonk42

If we knew it was going to be in Toronto, you would have a lot more than the south end filled with Canadian supporters.

But we can't organize anything if we don't know what is happening.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

If the game is in Toronto, you can pretty much bet again that the south end of BMO will be filled with Canadian supporters.

The rest of the stadium will probably be filled with Mexican supporters though sadly, but atleast we'd have someplace to organize ourselves, unlike the U-20 game. Either way, we'd have our work cut out for us if were going to outchant/outcheer the Mexicans.

We should use the St.V & G game as a warm up.

That's one aspect. There will probably be Mexican supporters everywhere (even Edmonton), but the best bet is to counter with a large number of (vocal) Canadian supporters, which will only happen in the East, unfortunately.

Archived