O'Brien to San Jose

Mobiiiiiiiilio

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Now who will be the first to report what we got in return, the score or goltv? Let the competition commence.........

I would have thought that they would have accorded this the same level of importantce and urgency as the NHL trade deadline coverage :D

Which means going on air at 8AM

Guest speedmonk42

Mo better pull something really good out of his a$$ for this.

ROB was, well... crap I was really looking forward to seeing him play fit this year.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

"O’Brien was not a fan of field turf and probably thinks his career is better suited on grass"

doesnt he know that plastic is the way of the future and all the major clubs in europe use it?

bush league stadium...

LOL. If he doesn't want to play on plastic pitches he should leave the league.

I guess the Russian league is bush league as well.....

Looks like O'Brien is definitely gone, and never really liked the City of Toronto that much:

http://thestar.blogs.com/starsportsblog/toronto_fc/index.html

which is an opinion that he's entitled to, since he's not from here. But again it stresses why it is in TFC's (and Mo Johnston's) best interest to develop & obtain local talent for the club, because generally people who live here tend to want to play here.

^ The big city isn't for everyone, I guess. I've driven through Frisco, TX. It basically reminds me of every other suburb of a US big city. Basically, a cookie cutter town with better mexican food than the typical American suburb.

Not my cup of tea but, hey, to each their own.

Its hard to miss a guy who hardly played for TFC. I hope he's happier in Silicone Valley.

I'm not too worried about finding players who will love Toronto. That should be easy enough. Focus on players who grew up in large cities or who played in large cities or people from small towns who like the lifestyle of a large city... basically, that's a huge number of potential candidates. The average soccer player will take to Toronto like a dog on a bone. The guys who like a quieter, less hectic lifestyle will prefer to play for teams in the burbs.

Long term, finding local guys is a good solution too but we are a LONG way off from the day when we can have a team with a predominant number of Canadians on it (sadly).

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ The big city isn't for everyone, I guess. I've driven through Frisco, TX. It basically reminds me of every other suburb of a US big city. Basically, a cookie cutter town with better mexican food than the typical American suburb.

Not my cup of tea but, hey, to each their own.

Its hard to miss a guy who hardly played for TFC. I hope he's happier in Silicone Valley.

I'm not too worried about finding players who will love Toronto. That should be easy enough. Focus on players who grew up in large cities or who played in large cities or people from small towns who like the lifestyle of a large city... basically, that's a huge number of potential candidates. The average soccer player will take to Toronto like a dog on a bone. The guys who like a quieter, less hectic lifestyle will prefer to play for teams in the burbs.

Long term, finding local guys is a good solution too but we are a LONG way off from the day when we can have a team with a predominant number of Canadians on it (sadly).

Bottom line is that TFC needs to do more to attract quality players to their club. I was hoping that O'Brien would stick around but this is not good news at all. If I were you guys, I would be worried. Who wants to be known as the "Vancouver Grizzlies" of the MLS?

I wouldn't overreact. It's just one guy, who sounds like a bit of dummy and has a bum knee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dichio has moved his family over and wants to stay, while I've heard that Edu and Wynne are very happy in the city.

I will say though, that there are some parallels between Mo and Stu Jackson. Mostly that they get a ton of cred from the management even though they have nothing on their resume to warrant their apparent security.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I wouldn't overreact. It's just one guy, who sounds like a bit of dummy and has a bum knee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dichio has moved his family over and wants to stay, while I've heard that Edu and Wynne are very happy in the city.

I will say though, that there are some parallels between Mo and Stu Jackson. Mostly that they get a ton of cred from the management even though they have nothing on their resume to warrant their apparent security.

It's not only about Toronto as a desirable place to live and to bring your family. It's also about being a desirable place to play. The great fan support is a HUGE bonus, but look at how many players are complaining about the field turf. Not only TFC players, but other players in MLS, as well as our overseas Canadian players.

At least Mo is one for one on draft picks (We haven't seen the equivalent of Big Country Reeves or Steve Francis). Dichio too i'm a huge fan, but really how many seasons does he have left and can he stay injury free playing on Field Turf? There are some bright spots, but reality is that the new season starts one month tomorrow, and no significant acquisitions have been made.

I am not worried that we won't be able to attract talent to Toronto, my point moreso was that we don't need to do so as much when you can effectively grow the talent here.

TFC's problem in the long run should be the difficulty of hanging on to Canadian talent given the European interest in their services after performiing so well in the MLS (which is the same problem US teams have with US players) but one gets the impression with Mo around this won't be an issue. And I don't mean that as a compliment or a good thing.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

LOL. If he doesn't want to play on plastic pitches he should leave the league.

I guess the Russian league is bush league as well.....

if every player who hates plastic left MLS there wouldnt be anyone left to field a team...how many players have to say it before people listen...accommodating local toronto beer leagues under the bubble in january have made our federally funded national stadium a sub-standard venue that professional players dont want to play on.

i know....taxpayers blah blah...its still bush.

MLS themselves are on record over and over against plastic...its not like the league is so attractive that it can be so arrogant to say if you dont like it go away...if MLS doesnt offer the same calibre venues as other comparable leagues then it will forever languish with lower quality players...TFC has already had players balk at the turf both in efforts to attract new signings and with visiting players not wanting to play in toronto.

99% of the fields in russia, a counrty of 1/10th the wealth of canada use grass....and even that 1% causes controvercy.

Guest speedmonk42

With an additional 2000 season tickets sold, and a waiting list.

We deserve a little somethin 1 month before the season starts.

We deserve a couple of decent exciting signings.

Guest speedmonk42

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I think we deserve a better result in the standings than last year.

I don't want signings for the sake of signings.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by jimmynow

I think we deserve a better result in the standings than last year.

I don't want signings for the sake of signings.

Well no, of course not.

But give us something to be excited about. A couple injuries and we are back scraping the depth chart

Archived