Cyprus Cup

jonny63

Scotland National Women’s Coach Anna Signeul has announced the squad who will be travelling to Cypus on Monday 3rd of March to play in The Cyprus Cup. This in a new tournament organised by The Scottish FA, led by Anna Signeul in co-operation with the Netherlands Football Association, Tord Grip Sport and Event and Erinor Tours Company. The tournament is approved by the Cyrus FA and sponsored by the Cyprus Tourist Organisation

There are 6 countries involved, Canada, Russia and Japan who are in Group 1, Scotland is in Group 2 with the Netherlands and USA U20. Matches will take place between the 5th and 10th of March with the Final taking place on Wednesday 12th of March.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland_squad_news.cfm?squadid=2&curpageid=862

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Yes that was good result I thought Japan would have put up a stronger fight. Not sure how different the Japan team was from the WWC China 2007 team. All in all bring on Mexico and USA

I was thinking the same thing about Japan. Judging from the photo in the CSA report the stadium looks empty. Why not have this tournament where it would draw better attendance and hence revenues.

Japan results from Sept 07 to March 08 not including todays match

Won 6

Draw 1

Lost 1

Japan 2:1 Brazil 02/09/2007 CHIBA Friendly Women

Japan 2:2 (0:0) England 11/09/2007 SHANGHAI FIFA Women's World Cup Final

Argentina 0:1 (0:0) Japan 14/09/2007 SHANGHAI FIFA Women's World Cup Final

Germany 2:0 (1:0) Japan 17/09/2007 HANGZHOU FIFA Women's World Cup Final

Japan 3:2 (1:1) Korea DPR 18/02/2008 CHONGQING Friendly Women

Japan 2:0 (1:0) Korea Republic 21/02/2008 CHONGQING Friendly Women

China PR 0:3 (0:2) Japan 24/02/2008 CHONGQING Friendly Women

Netherlands 1:3 Japan 05/03/2008 LARNACA Friendly Women

Some good results in the last few matches. If I am right 10/12 of the Japanese players used in against Canada today were in the Japan WWC 2007 squad.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I was thinking the same thing about Japan. Judging from the photo in the CSA report the stadium looks empty. Why not have this tournament where it would draw better attendance and hence revenues.

The piece of the stadium that was visible in the background was empty yes, but that's not enough evidence to declare the stadium empty. We have no idea really just how many people were there, could have been 10,000 all outside the angle of view of that camera's lens. Not unusual for only half a big stadium to be occupied for women's friendly games, heck even BMO field drew less than capacity for the last MNT home game there!

I am alittle bored this AM and I have been trying to find results, venues and any info on this tournament for the last few weeks. Not much joy though.

GSZ Stadium is the home of AEK Larnaca, Alki Larnaca which holds 14,000

GSP Stadium is the home of APOEL Nicosia, AC Omonia, Olympiakod Nicosia, National Team 23,000

Dasaki Stadium is the home of Ethnikos Achna and holds 4,500

Group 1

Canada

Japan

Russia

Group 2

Netherlands

USA U-20

Scotland

Cyprus Women’s Cup 2008 Schedule

March 5

USA U-20 vs. Scotland GSZ/Larnaca

Canada vs. Russia GSZ/Larnaca

Japan vs. Netherlands* Alpha Sports Center

March 7

Japan vs. Canada GSZ/Larnaca

Netherlands vs. Scotland GSZ/Larnaca

USA U-20 vs. Russia* Alpha Sports Center

March 10

USA U-20 vs. Netherlands GSZ/Larnaca

Russia vs. Japan Dasaki/Achna

Canada vs. Scotland* Alpha Sports Center

Placement Matches

March 12

5th Place Match GSP/Nicosia

3rd Place Match GSP/Nicosia

Championship GSP/Nicosia

*Non-tournament match

This is from the US Soccer site

USA U20 v Scotland

Attendance: 20

http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_5406761.html

I believe you. My comment was simply that making a judgement from one photo is a mistake and your post implied that's what you were doing. You made no reference to being told by one of the players.

Who is organising/sponsoring this tournament, is it the Cypriot FA or what?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I believe you. My comment was simply that making a judgement from one photo is a mistake and your post implied that's what you were doing. You made no reference to being told by one of the players.

Who is organising/sponsoring this tournament, is it the Cypriot FA or what?

It could be a mistake but in this case it was not. However to make sure I then contacted a player who was at the game. That's all. I believe this tournament was organized by Scotland. As to why in Cyprus of all places, I don't know.

Archived