Jorge Maradona

jpg75

Thanks to PaulNL from BigSoccer for finding this:

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/01/23/01591617.html

The nephew of Diego Maradona is now a youth player with Argentino Jrs. He is a '92 and the family (Diegos' bros.) lived in Canada from 1995 until 2003/4 so it's possible he might have Canadian citizenship. I say might because Argentina will only allow a person to have 1 passport. However, there are ways around it...CSA might do well to look into this kid.

edit: is it me or has the html code been disabled on the site?

I don't see f-all through my browser, but it might be me. We're running W2000 and IE 6.0 in this craphole...did those words italicize and go bold for you? Cuz all i see is and...surprised the link isn't showing up with

BTW, the link didn't copy correctly, so if you tried to view the article before it would have given an error. It is good to go now...

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Argentina does allow people to have more than one passposrt, unlike Canada in most cases.

It does? What was the whole kerfuffle for Gonzalo Higuain about then? I thought he was going to have to relinquish his French passport to become an Argentine citizen?

He says the family become estranged from his grandma while living in Canada, but that he took to Argentina the moment he arrived (that doesn't sound good for us).

He was mostly a sub last year with the juniores, but now he has a bigger role and is taking corners and free kicks. His strengths are dribbling and first touch. He wants to win the Juniores title in Argentina. He thinks of playing for the 1st team everyday.

He had some sort of accident and broke his leg years ago and is glad he made a recovery.

He wants to play for Boca and Argentina some day. They ask him, "what about River" and says something about the fans would bitch? or the fans are bitches?

Oh well...he's a longshot to play for us i think.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

He wants to play for Boca and Argentina some day. They ask him, "what about River" and says something about the fans would bitch? or the fans are bitches?

Oh well...he's a longshot to play for us i think.

He says the River fans would bitch.

You are right, he is a longshot to play for us. He'll probably team up with Joey Torchia.

Could be like Brazil where if you are a born Brazilian and become a citizen of another country too, you can keep you Brazilian citizenship. However, if you are a Canadian (or a citizen of another country) and wanted to get Brazilian citizenship, you would have to give up your Canadian citizenship.

It does? What was the whole kerfuffle for Gonzalo Higuain about then? I thought he was going to have to relinquish his French passport to become an Argentine citizen?

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Could be like Brazil where if you are a born Brazilian and become a citizen of another country too, you can keep you Brazilian citizenship. However, if you are a Canadian (or a citizen of another country) and wanted to get Brazilian citizenship, you would have to give up your Canadian citizenship.

That makes sense.

Do not know that case, but that would be a requirement for France (I do not know if it is ) not for Argentina. Argentina actually promotes their citizens to get multiple passports offered by countries such as the US, Italy and Spain, as it increases the country´s and their citizen´s position in the global economy. Canada does not, npot for reasons of nationalism or securioty, but rather that it makes it easier to keep the taxmans greedy hands on Canadians working abroad or in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by rick10

i m not sure how good he is but at least we can have a MARADONA playing for canada at some point.

His father is LALO maradona right??

Ah memories. I was the press conference when they introduced Lalo as the newest member of Italia but he was no Chubby Scott or Sante Cesario as I recall. ;)

Actually, he did have his moments and didn't he win the scoring title in his first year? I saw Lalo score a brilliant goal for the Shooting Stars but only about 200 people saw it!

db

Archived