McKenna transfers to FC Koln

Grizzly

Very strange but numerous strong rumours from good sources out of Germany that McKenna may transfer to 2nd Bundesliga team, FC Koln. Koln are throwing around a lot of money with their prominent trainer Christoph Daum and are determined to return to the 1BL next year. Koln is a much bigger club than Cottbus despite the lower division and could pay McKenna a far higher salary. Nevertheless if this comes to pass I don't think it would look very good for McKenna. He is Cottbus' captain and made a public pledge of allegiance to the team a month ago. To transfer down a division for money would not look very good especially right after they managed to stay above a relegation spot. McKenna apparently has a buy out clause in his contract for a reasonable sum that Koln is willing to pay. McKenna stated in an interview that Koln has expressed interest but he would not give any details. Cottbus' manager states that he would be very disappointed in McKenna if this is true. Cottbus was my favourite 1st Bundesliga team even before McKenna arrived so I would also be disappointed by this (not to mention that I despise FC Koln and Christoph Daum). If it occurs it is not really behaviour fitting of a captain.

FC Koln has also been interested in Bernier.

http://www.kicker.de/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/artikel/365955/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't follow German football but, in addition to the reasons you just mention, it seems very rare to me -say in England- that a large club can simply buy their way back to the top flight. Something always seems to go wrong. Again, I don't know Germany, but to me the path to redemption is usually to unload your overpriced veterans and invest in the academy. I'd be very cautious about this move if I were McKenna.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I don't follow German football but, in addition to the reasons you just mention, it seems very rare to me -say in England- that a large club can simply buy their way back to the top flight. Something always seems to go wrong. Again, I don't know Germany, but to me the path to redemption is usually to unload your overpriced veterans and invest in the academy. I'd be very cautious about this move if I were McKenna.

Ditto.

I couldn't see such a move benefiting McKenna. Though, having said that, Football is booming in Germany by all accounts. Maybe the 2006 had the same effect in Germany Euro 96 had in England.

Tough call. It's not like Big Kev would be going from making 5 million to making 6 million euros. He won't. He isn't making the sort of money where it becomes a question of how selfish (financial) a player is.

If he got a guarneteed 3 year contract at a 50% wage increase how do you say no? He's at the age where he has to start thinking about his future and since he's into his peak earning years now</u>, not two or four or six years from now, he has to start weighing that reality into his decision making. He's done pretty good for himself so far but I doubt that he's in a position where he's set for life after football.

I'd like it if he were to stay at Cottbus too, but his quality may exceed their ability to pay.

Football Realities 101. Big-fish eat little-fish.

Isn't that exactly what Fulham did, and what Gretna are now doing in Scotland (I believe it's Gretna). I think this happens quite often actually and I think it will start to happen more, as billion dollar investors seem to be buying up teams in every country now more than ever.

Fulham doesn't have the stones to sign top flight players whilst in the top flight themselves, much less raid Premiership clubs whilst in division 2. I was thinking more of Forest, Leeds, Wednesday, Leicester, Palace, and Coventry as examples. There are always exceptions and, of course, other circumstances at play in the finances of these bigger clubs. The Fulham case is more analagous to what Brum has done this past season: raid the lower table and lower division clubs -they, however per my advice to Cologne, were big enough to have the big palyers to unload: Upson and Hesky for a tidy sum.

Fulham doesn't have the stones to sign top flight players whilst in the top flight themselves, much less raid Premiership clubs whilst in division 2. I was thinking more of Forest, Leeds, Wednesday, Leicester, Palace, and Coventry as examples. There are always exceptions and, of course, other circumstances at play in the finances of these bigger clubs. The Fulham case is more analagous to what Brum has done this past season: raid the lower table and lower division clubs -they, however per my advice to Cologne, were big enough to have the big palyers to unload: Upson and Hesky for a tidy sum.

So when Fulham signed Keegan as manager while they were in the 3rd tier of English football, and signed Coleman (who had just been playing in the Premiership for Blackburn and is most expensive player ever outside the top two divisions i believe).

Then while in teh English 2nd tier they hired Jean Tigana (yes, same coach that was coaching Champions League French side Monaco), and signing of Luis Saha (now Man UTD).

Also, signings of Steven Marlet (who cost 11-12 million pounds) and Van der Sar (for 7 million if i recall correctly from juventus) before having played a game in the Premiership.

Now if that isn't buying ur way back into top flight i dunno what is.

Managers and players of that caliber do not simply go to a side like Fulham without lots and lots of cash being thrown their way.

The fact aht Fulham presently cannot afford players of that calibre is of no relevance to the fact that they certainly did buy their way back into Englands top flight.

News reports in Germany continue to come out about this. The latest is that McKenna has admitted he is in negotiations with Koln but that a final decision has not been made and will come in the next 2 to 3 days. Some reports say that the deal has been signed and will be announced shortly probably Thursday. Whatever ends up happening this is definitely more than a rumour. McKenna is facing harsh but in my opinion completely deserved criticism on Energie fan forums. If he decides not to transfer or is using this to get more money from Cottbus it may be hard for him to have any authority as captain if he decides to stay.

I understand what YNWA is trying to say as there have been numerous failed cases of clubs trying to buy promotion/championships. Yet in general success in sports takes money and when done right, ie. wise player/coach selection, a club can buy its way into a higher league or a Championship. Fulham did indeed buy its way into the Premiership. The fact that it was unable to buy its way into the ManU/Arsenal class (unlike Chelsea) does not diminish that it bought its way into the EPL.

That Cologne is trying to sign McKenna does imply that they are doing things right in the sense I think he would really be a good addition for them. As much as I dislike Daum he has had a very successful coaching career by anyone's standard. So far the expensive player additions signed since Daum returned to Cologne in mid season haven't really improved their standard of play but it is different to have a new season to plan as opposed to taking over a team mid-season. For Cologne there is no doubt that McKenna would be a good signing.

From the sight of McKenna it seems a risky transfer. There is only one reason behind this transfer and it is money and obviously a large amount. While I don't deny McKenna the right to make as much money as he can I am not sure this is really a positive career move from his side. Will he continue to improve his skills and thus future earning potential playing in the 2nd BL? From media reports it doesn't appear he even approached Cottbus about a raise nor was in negotiations with other 1st Bundesliga clubs. The timing right after the end of the season is also strange, at least one could wait to see if some more attractive offers were available. Despite the size of Koln's fanbase they have been an elevator club between the 1st and 2nd Bundesliga in the last decade. There is no guarantee this will change with Daum as coach and even if they manage to promote next year may not be able to stay up. I don't know where their new money is coming from or how solid it is but they have usually been less well funded and less successful than nearby Bayer Leverkusen which is funded by Bayer and located in what is essentially a Cologne suburb. In fact, over the last decade Cottbus has been a stronger team than Koln despite have far less money and being in a small city with less money. This leads one to believe that Cottbus is much better managed than Koln.

From a character, personal point of view I find the transfer very weak. McKenna is the captain of Cottbus and recently made numerous public statements about his loyalty to the team. Additionally, he owes Cottbus a fair bit since they signed him at a time when his worth was pretty low after a less than successful career at Hearts and gave him a chance to resurrect his career. Cottbus coach Sander in particular stood by McKenna when he was criticized or played poorly and he was eventually made team captain. Plus his wife is from Cottbus and returning to live in her hometown was one of the reasons he wanted to play for Cottbus. If this transfer goes through I don't think it will be a particularly pleasant place for them to live in the future. I think if he had been honest with the Cottbus fans they could have accepted this but to leave in this manner to a lower division club would really be reason for feeling betrayed. It reminds me of typical Hargreaves behaviour (who is the friend and idol of McKenna so maybe there is something to that) but was not what I expected from Big Kev.

I have never been totally convinced by McKenna as the starting CB for Canada based on his international play. He has been more convincing with Cottbus in this role though perhaps based on a more suitable partner/tactical formation. I always hoped that playing in the 1st BL would improve his national team play but even though I haven't seen that much improvement part of the reason is that we haven't played much recently and many of those games were not televised. In the first game against Jamaica this year he was terrible in my opinion. For this reason I have never been a big supporter of having him as captain because in my mind he has not yet won automatic starter status by his play. From a character standpoint though I always thought he was an excellent captain and a real stand up guy. Even if he ends up not transferring, I am very disappointed in his actions so far. We are not strong at CB and beggars can't be choosers but I think if he transfers in this manner to a lower division club it does not strengthen his position either as captain or as starting CB for our national team. I can't recall a previous example of a Canadian player willingly transferring to a lower division team while still having a valid contract and being a starting player with a higher division club.

I know these may be difficult or unanswerable questions (as some clubs do business very privately) but how much do you suppose he makes now and how much is he being offered? Not to say I in any way think this is a good move (I tend to agree with alot of grizzly's statements although I think I have a much higher opinion of him as a CB but at the same time, in the back of my mind It was a good idea for Luca Toni to go down a division a few years ago so it's not necessarily disastrous, but it is a very risky move)

Guest Jeffery S.

I would imagine his agent requested a contract review-renewal and they said no. So they are pressuring the club this way. Not so strange really, and since the season is over it is not like he is distracting them from results or anything. He is trying to get things worked out before going on holiday, before next preseason.

I would also imagine that if you are team captain and the club thinks you are an important player, you should be paid accordingly. And not just paid that low salary you signed for because the club can get away with doing so. Great, we love you, you are the captain, but we are not going to look at your contract and you will continue to be paid less than quite a few other players on the squad. Not a consistent position from the club.

Rather embarrassing for Cottbuss to have to admit they are too cheap to review his deal and that even a Bundesliga 2 club thinks more of him than they do.

All this other stuff about him having to be loyal to them as their captain is pure crap. I am surprised the fans don't see things clearly, don't see how tight-fisted and hypocritical their club directors are being.

Edit: all of the above is just another way of reading things, but if the club tries to get fans against him for being "disloyal" that is just a way to avoid them having to be loyal to the player themselves. Typical manipulations that I am sure the player, his agent and his family see clearly. And the fans will too in the end, when they are relegated next year and only have the club board to blame.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

So when Fulham signed Keegan as manager while they were in the 3rd tier of English football, and signed Coleman (who had just been playing in the Premiership for Blackburn and is most expensive player ever outside the top two divisions i believe).

Then while in teh English 2nd tier they hired Jean Tigana (yes, same coach that was coaching Champions League French side Monaco), and signing of Luis Saha (now Man UTD).

Also, signings of Steven Marlet (who cost 11-12 million pounds) and Van der Sar (for 7 million if i recall correctly from juventus) before having played a game in the Premiership.

Now if that isn't buying ur way back into top flight i dunno what is.

Managers and players of that caliber do not simply go to a side like Fulham without lots and lots of cash being thrown their way.

The fact aht Fulham presently cannot afford players of that calibre is of no relevance to the fact that they certainly did buy their way back into Englands top flight.

Don't mean to quibble about history, but I just wanted to point out the following:

1) Saha was an unproven striker and many second tier clubs in England had made larger transfers by that time (larger than 2.1m, I mean)

2) Marlet and Van der Sar were post promotion acquisitions (spending money to stay up is a separate issue)

You are correct about Coleman, I believe 2 million pounds for division 2. However, to be fair, he was not a premiership quality player. He did sfa for Rovers the previous season.

In any event, I conceed that Al Fayed did buy his way to the Premiership -as he clearly never developed a decent academy. But there are countless examples of such efforts failing miserably. I'm not saying Cologne will fail. I just feel McKenna should be cautious. He's still young for a centre back and if the move down a division fails, I don't think he'll get another chance to play top flight football.

I would think he would be at least in the 500 000 Euro range. If he is thinking of relegating himself down a league I would think that he must have an offer in the 750 000 to 1 000 000 Euro range. The buyout option on his contract is estimated at 500 000 Euro. Given that he negotiated a buyout option and the club agreed to it from a pure business standpoint he has every right to switch. Yet to use a hockey analogy I pegged McKenna as more of a loyal player like Wade Redden willing to take less money to play for the team he wants to than the Alexei Yashin/Zdano Chara (or Hargreaves for that matter) type for whom money is the only priority. It is starting to look like this assessment was incorrect. McKenna recently made statements such as saying he would definitely remain with Cottbus and that "I am a Cottbuser and will remain a Cottbuser no matter what happens".

I don't think there is much comparison to the Toni situation. Since goal scoring is very related to confidence a striker can sometimes benefit from going down a league where he can score goals. There have been other star players who have relegated and stayed with a team out of loyalty but this also obviously not the case here. McKenna in my opinion really needs to be playing against the faster and more technical 1st BL strikers to improve his play (in particular positional play to make up for his lack of speed) and not the slower more physical strikers of the 2nd BL. From a national team perspective we will be playing mostly teams with speedy technical strikers in WCQ not slow physical strikers. As a combination Canada/Cottbus fan I value him somewhat differently for both teams. For whatever reason (probably better partner, better tactics, better coach) he has been quite effective with Cottbus and significantly less so with Canada (except as striker). As a Cottbus fan I would be pissed to see him leave the team in this manner. I want Canada to suceed in WCQ so I would still want him to do well in WCQ but it would be pretty hard to join in with the big Kev chants if he transfers.

On a personal note I actually attended a 4th division Cottbus reserve game in Leipzig many years ago during his first spell at Cottbus in the pouring rain to see him play. They were playing against the Leipzig team I hate, Lokomotiv Leipzig, and I even stood with the hated LOK fans/hools because I thought it was safer than being with the small amount of Cottbus fans who would travel with the reserve team but who would nevertheless face some provocation from the LOK hools as representatives of a traditional rival club. In the end he didn't even play (I don't think he even came with the team) because unbeknown to me he was a shortly before his transfer to Hearts and was probably in Scotland at the time.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I would imagine his agent requested a contract review-renewal and they said no. So they are pressuring the club this way. Not so strange really, and since the season is over it is not like he is distracting them from results or anything. He is trying to get things worked out before going on holiday, before next preseason.

I would also imagine that if you are team captain and the club thinks you are an important player, you should be paid accordingly. And not just paid that low salary you signed for because the club can get away with doing so. Great, we love you, you are the captain, but we are not going to look at your contract and you will continue to be paid less than quite a few other players on the squad. Not a consistent position from the club.

Rather embarrassing for Cottbuss to have to admit they are too cheap to review his deal and that even a Bundesliga 2 club thinks more of him than they do.

All this other stuff about him having to be loyal to them as their captain is pure crap. I am surprised the fans don't see things clearly, don't see how tight-fisted and hypocritical their club directors are being.

Edit: all of the above is just another way of reading things, but if the club tries to get fans against him for being "disloyal" that is just a way to avoid them having to be loyal to the player themselves. Typical manipulations that I am sure the player, his agent and his family see clearly. And the fans will too in the end, when they are relegated next year and only have the club board to blame.

The club is not trying to manipulate the fans at all, these are legitimate feelings coming from the hearts of the fans. The only manipulation has been from McKenna with his constant declarations of how loyal he is to the club. If he hadn't been saying this stuff and also was transferring to a better club I think while the fans might not be happy about it wouldn't piss them off as much. At least it would be typical footballer behaviour, not loyal but understandable. As far as budget goes you obviously have never compared the size and economic situations of the two cities. Cologne is 10 times bigger than Cottbus and in an economically strong part of Germany as opposed to the economically weak East Germany. Cologne's budget is probably at least twice that of Cottbus even though they have been less successful in sporting terms. Even if he is just trying to get more money from Cottbus this is not the way to do it. Don't forget Cottbus is the team that signed him as a youth player and gave him a large share of his training as a soccer player and then resigned him when his career was on a downward slide after Hearts. Plus his wife is from Cottbus and his two children were born there. Even if he is given more money and stays I don't think he will ever win back the respect he had one week ago in Cottbus.

The German tabloid Bild (not always the most reliable source) under the headline: What is a vow of fidelity worth today? claims that the transfer is almost sure to go through. Says that Energie fans are now left to realize that McKenna is a mercenary just like all the others. It asks was the vow of fidelity a perjury? In another article the team management claims that McKenna did not personally inform the manager or club president of any negotiations with Koln and only Saturday after the final game told the coach. Since McKenna was publicly denying any transfer rumours and pledging loyalty to Cottbus two weeks ago I tend to believe this version of events. McKenna is telling the media he is convinced of Daum's plan to promote Koln which I find hard to understand (ie, BS) since McKenna is already playing for a 1st Bundesliga club that despite all odds has proved very capable of avoiding relegation in the past. One shouldn't ignore the fact that a big budget team like Monchengladbach got relegated this year while relegation favourite Cottbus managed to avoid relegation several weeks before the end of the season. In my estimation there is probably at least a 50% chance that this time next year finds Cottbus still in the 1st BL and Koln failing in its attempt to promote. This is solely about money. According to Kicker, Koln is offering McKenna 60 000 Euro a month or 720 000 a year. It is interesting that in the Koln forums while everyone is happy about the transfer a few posters have noted that they hope Koln negotiates a much higher buyout clause in the new contract for the "cunning" McKenna. I never would have thought McKenna would become a Yashin figure in German.

The other downside to this (sorry if it's been mentioned) is that the bigger contract will likely lead to a decrease in his availability for the national team.

In some ways I think this is a good thing because we could perhaps use a new captain, and the sooner David Edgar becomes a regular on our backline the closer we will be to qualifying for a World Cup, IMHO.

The latest on this is, that Kevin gave his verbal commitment to Köln and will be presented as new signing end of this week.

I can not understand this either. My opinion was that Kev in deed knows/knew what environment he has in Cottbus, a solid club a fantastic standing at fans and club responsibilities, his family. But finally money was stronger then all this.

Probably the insight, that Cottbus would never play another season like this was also a point to consider. Next season the second league in Germany will be the most interesting, with teams like Mönchengladbach, Aachen, St. Pauli returning, Cologne, Kaiserslautern, Mainz and Freiburg all teams with the outlook promotion.

Although I´m also humanly disapointed from Big Kev, we shouldn´t critisize him that much, as this is the business in soccer. Money rules the world.

quote:Originally posted by frank

Although I´m also humanly disapointed from Big Kev, we shouldn´t critisize him that much, as this is the business in soccer. Money rules the world.

Sorry to disagree but he should be harshly criticized because he deserves it. This guy owes his whole career to Energie Cottbus. He trained in their academy and then they took him back when he was on the down and eventually made him captain. Then he was celebrated as a hero and was probably the team's most popular player in Cottbus and his picture was on the front page of the team's website. In fact, he was the image of the Energie Cottbus team and how they played. He basked in the glory with numerous statements about how committed he was to the team as recently as two weeks ago. He stated that he would fulfill his contract by playing with Energie until 2010 and denied all tranfer rumours. Then he not only breaks all his promises by transfering at the earliest possible opportunity but doesn't even transfer to a better team but one a division lower than Cottbus without even giving Cottbus the chance to renegotiate his deal. Sports may be a business but this is the absolute lowest style of business up there with Hargreaves and Alexei Yashin (even Yashin was more honest than McKenna in at least he always stated that he was only concerned with money). And yes the term whore does come to mind.

The 2nd BL will be very tough next year as you mention and there is a good possibility Koln will not promote. I for one hope they do not promote for the length of McKenna's contract there. Getting stuck playing in the 2nd BL is certainly what he deserves. I have never been convinced that he is good enough to be the starting CB that we need but we also do not have a lot of alternatives. Nevertheless I always thought he was a player with good character and who had the leadership abilities to be captain. I certainly do not think this anymore. In a few short days he has become my least favourite player for us. There may be some callups who I don't think have the skill to be national team players but at least they seem to be players of good character as far as I can tell.

From a Canadian national team point of view this may not matter to many here but as a Cottbus fan this is really disgraceful behaviour. I am sure Mitchell can not be thrilled with any player willingly relegating himself and especially the captain. This will not improve his playing level nor his place within the team hierarchy. We don't have enough depth to ignore players willing to play for us because of such issues but I would hope even on playing level grounds one of Edgar, Nsaliwa, Ledgerwood or Hainault might replace him as starting CB. Doubt this will happen before WCQ though. One of the best comments on the Cottbus fanforum was that McKenna should learn that money doesn't make one happy and if he needs an example of that there is no better one than his new nutcase coach Christoph Daum.

I can understand your disappointment, I did not say that I aid his line of action.

His biggest mistake was, that he has confessed a view weeks before to Cottbus the fans and the club.

It´s a comparable situation with Owen Hargreaves. Bayern Munich gave him the possibility to develop after he came from Calgary, now he became an english international and he only wants to leave the club.

Proffesional sport is only a business and has nothing to do with humanity and oath of allegiance.

All of them the biggest pain in the ass are the agents of the players. They earn on every deal and they are only after money. The best contract has to signed.

I agree in all points with you and I think you as a canadian feel a little bit strange as Kev always was one of the paragons for canadian soccer fans.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Sorry to disagree but he should be harshly criticized because he deserves it. This guy owes his whole career to Energie Cottbus. He trained in their academy and then they took him back when he was on the down and eventually made him captain.

A role in which he led Cottbus to the Bundesliga and kept them there. Cottbus made an investment in him and, to me, it seems like it payed off for both the team and Big Kev. I only watched him a couple of times on GolTV, but it seemed like they played a defense-first counter-attack style so, it would seem that Big Kev played a big role in keeping Cottbus where they are. I don't think this whole "who owes who" judgement that you are making is quite as cut and dried as you make it seem. It's not like Cottbus made some charitable donation to Mckenna's career. They saw an opportunity for a great signing and they took it.

As a Cottbus fan, you're entitled to your opinion, but as a fan of the Canadian National Team, this in no way diminishes his standing to me.

Also, your Redden analogy from yesterday was completely off base but this isn't the forum for that.

Frank brought up a point I've been chewing on regarding Cottbus' chances next year. They may have cheated the hangman this year but what about next? Is there any indication at Cottbus that improvements have or will be made? Do they have a better chance of staying up next season?

And even if they do (which I doubt, A LOT of promoted teams don't beat the sophmore jinx) when compared to the direction Koln is seemingly heading how do they compare?

If he has to take a step backwards to go three steps forward then he should know how to, he's a footballer.

Griz, I think your estimates of McKenna's wages may be a little bit high. If he's drawing a half mil euros that would pretty much match his wages at Hearts. Given the circumstances he was pushed out under I'd be surprised if he did that well.

The low buy-out clause may have been one of the principle reasons they were able to afford to sign Big Kev, and why he agreed to sign. If Cottbus wanted to plug that hole they had two years to do it. But they didn't. So they gambled and lost.

Say what you want, but players aren't mercenary because they're mercenary. They're a product of their environment and they'll get eaten alive if they aren't.

Sorry. I don't think anybody with the skills and talents to attract the eye of the bigger clubs should just stay in the smaller, less ambitious markets playing for half the money they could be earning elsewhere while that smaller club waits for the transfer fees to climb. The players need to watch out for themselves because sure as **** management isn't.

P.S. Not much to comment on what Big Kev said or didn't say publicly or as "quoted" by the press. Fact is we don't know what was going on between Koln, Cottbus and his agent. Everything he said may have been absolutely true when he said, but circumstances change instantly. Like, oh just for speculation, after Cottbus said they couldn't afford to match Koln's financial offer.

P.S.S. I don't think Bayern are too shook up at loosing Hargreaves. And they shouldn't be. They developed a player, got more than a couple of good years of service for that investment and then just raped ManU on the transfer fee. $25M euros buys a lot of tissue for those tears. That's football.

Kev handled it poorly. He was loved at this club and they gave him a great chance not once but twice. I cannot blame him for signing a big contract and solidifying his future as he needs to do what is best for himself and his family and he may never get another chance to sign this type of contract.

Basically he should have been more open, or at least not lied and said there was no transfer etc. So he handled the whole situation in a poor manner, but at the same time it is very difficult to openly say you are turning your back on the club that has given you so much. Hopefully he learns from his mistake, and has a good run at Koln

Guest Jeffery S.

Cottbus would have had the chance to make a counter-offer and either they did and it was not high enough, or they decided not to. Maybe they want the transfer fee, will take it and run. But I think that if someone buys him out, offers him more, and the club does not try to counter with a reasonalble offer to make him stay, then he should be free to move on.

The most clear sign that this is going to happen is that his picture is no longer on the start page of the Energie Cottbus website. To respond to some of the comments, McKenna signed a new contract last season and is on his second contract since Hearts. I based my salary estimate on the salary of an average Bundesliga player. Cottbus may be one of the lowest budget teams in the Bundesliga but I assume as one of their most prominent players he is getting paid around the average Bundesliga salary. Both my estimate and Bild's estimate of the Koln offer are just that estimates. I would think that if he is willing to relegate himself and is not trying to sign with another 1st Bundesliga team that the reason probably is that Koln is paying him well above his market worth.

For sure Cottbus has also benefitted from McKenna's services and 500 000 Euro from Koln may be below his market worth but is not something to be scoffed at either. On the other hand Cottbus has always treated McKenna more than fairly and he has not returned the favour. There is an honest way of doing business and a dishonest way of doing business and Kevin has chosen the later. I do not think he did give Cottbus the chance to make a counter offer, their management has said this did not happen and given the amount of lying McKenna has been doing in the last month I tend to believe the Cottbus management. In fact, this is one of the few issues where what McKenna has said corresponds to the truth as his statements don't indicate any negotiation with Cottbus. Two weeks ago he said he was a Cottbuser and would stay one no matter what happens while at the same time he was negotiating with Koln secretly. Real class. He has a buy out clause so he has every right to use it but to go about things in this manner is a disgrace. He was accepted as a Cottbuser by the fans to a greater extent than even the German players on the club and is now giving them the finger.

This is not a case of taking a step backward to make two forward it is a case of taking money as your only priority, putting money ahead of becoming better in your craft and being a man of integrity who keeps his word. Koln is a bigger club than Cottbus but there are bigger clubs than Cottbus currently playing in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th divisions in Germany. Looking at the size of the club and budget one could say Koln has more potential than Cottbus but so do many other lower division clubs in Germany. The fact is that Cottbus has been a more successful club than Koln over the last decade and there is no reason to believe this won't continue. Daum came in at mid-season to Koln and spent a lot of money on new players yet the team did not even improve its position in the table let alone come close to promoting. If I were a betting man I would think the odds are still better that Cottbus is in the 1st BL and Koln in the 2nd next year than vice versa. With the amount of money Daum is spending if Koln isn't top of table in what will be a very competitive 2nd BL next year he could be gone by mid-season and the team may be broke for years to come. This is a very risky move, moreover because even if things go according to plan and Koln promotes and exceeds Cottbus' potential by becoming an upper table 1st BL team, there is a very good chance that they will decide they need an upgrade at McKenna's position so he will be back where he started. I actually think McKenna is a borderline 1st BL player based on skill and makes up for his deficiencies in hard work. This is probably why he didn't receive attractive offers from other 1st BL teams and is going to the 2nd BL. I just don't understand a player who has played in tier 2 leagues all of his career going back to that level after only one year at a top league. I also think Cottbus won't have that hard of a time replacing McKenna but that is not the point.

If I am Dale Mitchell I don't think I would be very happy with this development. As much as I can understand that Canada supporters who are not Cottbus fans will judge him more on his Canada play (which has been poor recently) I don't think it is a very good sign when our captain has been lying to fans publicly and is the subject of articles with titles like, "What is a vow of fidelity worth today?". Makes one wonder whether he is really captain material.

Archived