RONA to Sponsor TFC

Vancouver Fan

It was announced in an Inter Company memo released today that Canadian Home Improvement retailer RONA will be added as a sponsor for TFC. They will have ads during televised games(as witnessed during the first telecast).RONAs logo was also seen on top right of tv screen in first match. Not sure if a logo will be added to the kit as is the case on all CFL uniforms. Besides CFL and TFC RONA also sponsors our Olympic teams.

quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

Having ads during live matches is great? i think not, im all for any sponsors help but not while the matches are on please, save them for the half time,full time and pre game shows!!!

We ain't in Sheffield or Lyon. If there's sponsors out there take 'em.

We're used to TV time-outs. If you don't like 'em either move back to Europe or only watch Euro soccer.

We have to develop what works for us......or soccer will always be be a foriegn game run by Euro snobs, that young players will never identify with.

Having ads during live matches is great? i think not, im all for any sponsors help but not while the matches are on please, save them for the half time,full time and pre game shows!!!

Do you specialize in jumping to conclusions?

The ads could be the kind that sit within the scoreline graphic at the top of the screen. Considering there were no interruptions in play for commercial breaks in the past two telecasts, there is no reason to believe there will be in future telecasts.

I don't think you'll see the ads during the match. Just a logo on the tv screen. In the first match it was on the top right.

I don't think you'll see the ads during the match. Just a logo on the tv screen. In the first match it was on the top right.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

We ain't in Sheffield or Lyon. If there's sponsors out there take 'em.

We're used to TV time-outs. If you don't like 'em either move back to Europe or only watch Euro soccer.

We have to develop what works for us......or soccer will always be be a foriegn game run by Euro snobs, that young players will never identify with.

Argh ouch! really,why this ,it seems deep hatred.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Do you specialize in jumping to conclusions?

The ads could be the kind that sit within the scoreline graphic at the top of the screen. Considering there were no interruptions in play for commercial breaks in the past two telecasts, there is no reason to believe there will be in future telecasts.

If this is how they plan on doing it ok, thats great, but what happens just before a scoring play they slip in a comerical and

it's missed?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

NO WAY!!!!!. I hear ya about the euro-snobbery bit. Sometimes , I too roll my eyes But not when it comes to compromising the basic integrity of the game.

The game of soccer is played over 90 minutes without timeouts or stoppages in play. Thats the way it is! If you are going to tinker with that notion, what else are you going to tinker with? the size of pitch, the size of the nets, the size of balls, the number of players on each side, playing surface, outdoors/indoors, etc. If you go down that path, then your bound to end up with some other kind of sport; like indoor soccer..

Last I checked, there is no World cup every four years for indoor soccer.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Free and Auch what the heck do you have against Europeans,please explain.

Sorry, nothing personel. Lord knows many an ex-pat volunteer have and still do great work with soccer in Canada.

It's the everything has to be exactly like it is across the pond attitude that keeps this wonderfull game from being held up as our game. Alot has to do with our culture. To find the main stream loyalty and excitement for this wonderfull game as part of our culture is the challenge.. We've been importing the "Euro" way for decades and decades and yet soccer is still not seen as a main stream game. We can complain all we want about the lack of media attention but untill we somehow find away to make soccer "our" game, it'll will always be considered a foriegn game played by foriegners.

Back to the subject, if Rona is a sponsor and pays for ads, let them have them. There are ways that commericials can be put in with-out changing the game. Sportsnet did this for while untill purists raised as stink.

There are times during play where little happens. Throw ins, when the ball is dropped and we wait for another player to run up to take the throw in. Goal kicks when the 'tender waves players up field and bouces the ball incessantly before he kicks the ball.

What would we miss if a 30 second ad is put in whilst a split screen shows the goalie bouncing the ball or a ball lying along the sideline waiting for a player to pick it up. Only the broadcaster would develop a new revenue stream. Which would benifit us all

So, no I have nothing against Euro's. What I have a problem with is the approach that all soccer in it's presentation and youth delelopment has to be just like it is in that side of the pond. There are subtle cultural differences and they have to be identified to make this great game part of John Q Public's make-up. Purists insisting that everything be exactly like it is in the old country and turning their back if it's not are just as big a hindrence as someone ignorant of the game speaking badly of the game at every chance.

Archived