USector.ca: On The Eve Of Our Great Adventure

Ryan Keay

USector.ca - On The Even Of Our Great Adventure

quote:

By Jason Karp

In John Keats’s Romantic classic Ode to a Grecian Urn, the narrator reflects upon an engraving he finds etched on an old Greek vase. In the engraving, two lovers are frozen in time, captured in an innocent dalliance of youthful passion, one playfully chasing the other, their outstretched arms on the cusp of contact, separated by the tiniest of margins.

Anticipation, unspoiled.

In a slightly less Romantic context, it’s a rollercoaster ride nearing the edge of the first big drop, or a concert, just as the lights go out, moments before the band hits the stage.

For the purposes of soccer fans across this city, the engraving could just as well be of a different kind: two footballers – one in goal, one in attack; the keeper, set in his stance, prepared to spoil whatever ambitions his counterpart may have in mind; the attacker, bearing in on goal, leaning over the ball, his weight shifted towards the object in front of him, ready for the kill, moments from contact.

Tonight, some twenty-four hours before Toronto FC takes to the pitch for its inaugural match, this is the state in which Toronto’s long-suffering soccer community finds itself: Agonizing, magnificent anticipation.

I just really hope that our fans here in Toronto will refrain from bringing drums and or horns. I really hope they just stick to singing,it is so much motivating for our players. Singing is extremely creative as well and it seems that as a player you thrive on this,drums and horns won't do at all.

Drums are necessary. I was at the Saprissa-Alajuelense match on March 17th in San Jose and i can tell you that the drums get everyone riled up and the building starts to shake...they work.

We'll also need flares, fireworks and smoke machines. That sh!it's cool :D

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Drums are necessary. I was at the Saprissa-Alajuelense match on March 17th in San Jose and i can tell you that the drums get everyone riled up and the building starts to shake...they work.

We'll also need flares, fireworks and smoke machines. That sh!it's cool :D

Drums, flares and smoke will drive me to stay at home. It's not cool it's just plain disruptive and unpleasant, I doubt the players appreciate it much either. Singing and chanting on the other hand is not a problem and definitely adds to the atmosphere.

Guest speedmonk42

If the dumming is purely for noise, then yeah, the drums are annoying.

However, if we can come up with our own samba .... canba.... that would be cool.

The drums are ok if they have a beat, rythem and are musical.

But if its just some drunk tard banging on it and yelling......

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

If the dumming is purely for noise, then yeah, the drums are annoying.

However, if we can come up with our own samba .... canba.... that would be cool.

The drums are ok if they have a beat, rythem and are musical.

But if its just some drunk tard banging on it and yelling......

That's exactly what it was and it was awesome. Saprissa has their Ultra section on the south end of the stadium behind one of the nets just like TFC does. The tunnel to enter the field is under that stand, you should see the thing shake before the game! Also, they seem to have free reign from the club to use smoke, flares and fireworks prior to the match and after any Saprissa goals. If you don't want to have smoke etc. interfering with watching the match or having drums, chanting and stomping all game long then you have the choice to not sit/stand in that section.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Drums, flares and smoke will drive me to stay at home. It's not cool it's just plain disruptive and unpleasant, I doubt the players appreciate it much either. Singing and chanting on the other hand is not a problem and definitely adds to the atmosphere.

Man oh man someone sounds like he is more suited to playing checkers at a seniors home than attending a game with real soccer atmosphere.

Guest Jeffery S.

I like drumming too, though what is really great are brass bands, they have them a lot along the Mediterranean from Tarragona down to Valencia, and into Murcia, and they are great and lively.

What I can't stand are airhorns, and even less, megaphones. Was at the Bernabeu in February and it was horrible, all this morons blowing air horns all game, really irritating, no talent, quite kitchy in fact. But the worst are megaphones, when some guy has to shout into one to get folks to applaud or chant, and in the end the megaphone voice still overrides those of the dozens or so who follow along.

I have given my opinion on flares, I can accept the colour looks nice, but they have been proven to be dangerous (yes, deaths) and are a cheap, no talent way of supporting a team. Apart from the fact that they are banned in the more serious leagues of the world.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I like drumming too, though what is really great are brass bands, they have them a lot along the Mediterranean from Tarragona down to Valencia, and into Murcia, and they are great and lively.

What I can't stand are airhorns, and even less, megaphones. Was at the Bernabeu in February and it was horrible, all this morons blowing air horns all game, really irritating, no talent, quite kitchy in fact. But the worst are megaphones, when some guy has to shout into one to get folks to applaud or chant, and in the end the megaphone voice still overrides those of the dozens or so who follow along.

I have to say I agree on both counts. One or two airhorns used in conjunctions with chants never bothered me but when there was an entire stadium full of people blowing airhorms ad infinitum regardless of what was going on during the game or in the stands it used to drive me bonkers.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

I dislike pointless noise. Drums would need to be used with great care.

Exactly. What bugs me most is when idiots beat their drums endlessly throughout the game. Reminds me of those morons who have aftermarket sound systems in their cars and have their rap music thumping so loud they set off all the car alarms as the drive along the street.

It's a cultural thing. Many countries have singing fans, but

many fans don't know the words. In fact in many Canadian venues

most just sit with their hands on their knees. And the odd

"Go Canada" pitiful cheer.

Yet the drums are prevelent in Brazil, Latino countries, Africa, and in

many other sports. Sure adds to excitement of the games in many cases.

I dunno, just show up, join in the fun with your voices, with or

without drums and all. And as the saying goes, "if it's too loud,

you're too old."

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I have to say I agree on both counts. One or two airhorns used in conjunctions with chants never bothered me but when there was an entire stadium full of people blowing airhorms ad infinitum regardless of what was going on during the game or in the stands it used to drive me bonkers.

I'm wearing ear plugs. Seriously. Sit too close to a constant drum or a bloody air horn and you're damaging your hearing and while you may not notice it now, wait 20 years and you'll be kicking yourself.

db

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Players thrive on a singing supportive crowd,it is so motivating and one heck of a weapon to have.

The well known secret of the home team,their suppoters.

I agree with John. Chanting and singing is the way to go. It also sounds so much better on TV and anybody who is watching on the tube is going to compare it with Europe.

Anybody watching Portsmith v Man Utd. right now? No drums, no horns just loud fans chanting "Who are they?", singing and cheering.

No gimmicks. Just out and out enthusiasm.

One of the things that was said to Paul Beirne at the Duke of York was we don't want to sound like the crowd was taken out of a can.

db

Archived