Toronto FC Camp

Informer

Tonight on the local news(AChannel London) they did an piece on Toronto FC(including interviews with Mo, Jimmy B and Ronnie O'Brien). Nothing really interesting was said BUT their will be a piece tomorrow on London's own Tyler Hemming who even in their words was a "long-shot" to make the roster after being picked in the MLS supplemental draft.

didn't see this posted anywhere so....

MLS expansion club Toronto FC takes to indoor pitch on frigid day

Mon Feb 5, 6:15 PM

By Shi Davidi

VAUGHAN, Ont. (CP) - Toronto FC midfielder Ronnie O'Brien was happy to be practising Monday and even happier that there was a roof over his head.

On a day when the weather said bundle up and stay home, the expansion Major League Soccer club had its first full squad workouts at the indoor Ontario Soccer Centre in suburban Vaughan.

For the 28-year-old from Bray, Ireland, who spent the past five seasons playing for FC Dallas, the -15 C temperature, wind-chill factor of -25 C and snow flurries en route to the facility were a rude shock to the system.

"Don't even start me about the weather," O'Brien said rolling his eyes. "I miss Dallas a lot right now. I arrived last Wednesday and have barely been out of the hotel because of the weather.

"It's a lot to take, this cold. But we'll get used to it."

The weather is just one of several concerns for the fledgling club as it begins the process of developing a cohesive unit.

Head coach Mo Johnston split his 25 healthy players (three players sat out with minor injuries) into four squads and had them scrimmage on the two artificial grass fields. The aim was to get their heart rates going and to breed some familiarity on the roster.

"Obviously it's always tough getting to know each other in the beginning, strengths, weaknesses and tendencies," said goalkeeper Greg Sutton, a Canadian international from Hamilton. "It's going to take us a period of time but we have the pre-season to do that."

Smoothly incorporating two or three new players into a lineup can be a major challenge for some teams, let alone creating flow among 11 players who are taking the field together for the first time.

Only hours and hours of practice can help that.

"It's all about fitness, all about getting to know each other, basically covering every sort of angle that makes the team better," said Johnston. "Most of them don't know each other, it's a brand new team, everything is new."

Still, it was a happy day for the former Scottish international. He was clearly in his element barking out orders on the pitch, alternately coaxing, coddling and criticizing players as needed.

"This is the easy part, this is the part I like," Johnston said. "I don't like the parts when you're at a desk organizing things. Certainly you have to be organized but this is where the day-to-day stuff is and it's the best, the banter between guys and being party to all that."

Toronto FC opened its camp Thursday by welcoming players and conducting physicals over the weekend. A small handful of players also had visa problems and the full club wasn't able to get together until Monday when practice was open to the media for the first time.

"It's a big deal for a squad to get to know each other and to gel off the field," said O'Brien. "This week is more about that than accomplishing anything.

"The Canadian boys have been great, bringing people out and talking to people. That's been a big help."

The team will remain in Toronto through Friday before heading out for two training camps in Florida (Feb. 12-24 in Sunrise and March 5-17 in Bradenton) and an exhibition tournament in Charleston, S.C. (March 21-April 1).

The season opener is April 7 in Carson, Calif., against Chivas USA.

"The real work starts when we get to Florida," said Johnston.

The first scrimmages had no shortness of intensity.

Sutton and his counterparts lunged to stop booming shots from reaching the back of the net while players jostled on the pitch as they dribbled the ball.

There was no talk of systems, or positioning or attack formations - just freestyle soccer.

"The thing is you're all professionals and you all play the same game," said midfielder Jim Brennan, a Canadian international from Newmarket, Ont. "Everybody brings something a little different to the field and it doesn't take you long to adjust and get used to each other."

Johnston looked on and wasn't overly impressed. He's already assessing what he has and thinking of ways to improve.

"This is nothing, trust me," he said. "When we add another striker and another couple of players, we're going to do OK."

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

is the kid from New Zealand in camp yet? what about Ibrahim?

Andrew Boyens - the kid from New Zealand - was at the Carl Robinson press conference last week, so it's a safe assumption that he's at the camp.

Abbe Ibrahim is still having his visa issues worked out, and will join the team in Florida next week.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Andrew Boyens - the kid from New Zealand - was at the Carl Robinson press conference last week, so it's a safe assumption that he's at the camp.

Abbe Ibrahim is still having his visa issues worked out, and will join the team in Florida next week.

thanks for the update Rudi

I see on the Torontomls.blogspot site that there is some mystery player from China who is tearing up the early scrimmages. I wonder who he is...is he our mystery international striker?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

thanks for the update Rudi

I see on the Torontomls.blogspot site that there is some mystery player from China who is tearing up the early scrimmages. I wonder who he is...is he our mystery international striker?

Just a note, the camp is closed to the public, so those 'daily reviews' on that blog are totally fabricated.

That being said, there have been quite a few mentions of this Chinese player on a few sites. No idea who he is though :)

The chinese player is

Name: Xu Qing

DOB: 1987.3.11.

height:1.80m.

weight: 70kg.

The player from Wuhan is well-known for his pace. He has no national team experience. His trial with Toronto FC has made headline news in China, such as "Xu Qing will play against Beckham". He previously had trial with Dutch club Vitesse Arhem

http://whfootball.cnhubei.com/web/player/20050511657.htm

http://torontomls.blogspot.com/2007/02/chinese-player-for-toronto-fc.html

1. Sign him.

2. Get him a good immigration lawyer to fast track Canadian landed immigrant status.

3. Cap him for Canada.

4. Jonothan who? (ok, so I'm getting a bit carried away here. need something to feel optimistic about)

quote:Originally posted by Dave

1. Sign him.

2. Get him a good immigration lawyer to fast track Canadian landed immigrant status.

3. Cap him for Canada.

4. Jonothan who? (ok, so I'm getting a bit carried away here. need something to feel optimistic about)

5. Profit. :D

Archived