North American SuperLiga Created

Richard

quote:Article

"Imagine Mexican powerhouse Cruz Azul playing in Kansas City next year."

I thought it was supposed to be played in Mexico next year?

Then again, I don't understand why the entire tournament has to be in one country or the other. Even if there isn't time to play a 2-legged home-and-home tie, then why not have the home team selected at random like in the FA Cup?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's MLS press release about their "Game First" bs says the top 4 teams in 2007 will qualify for the 2008 SuperLiga. It would be really stupid if 8 of the 13 teams qualify for this.

This whole tournament is aimed at Mexicans living in the US. So it's funny people blaming MLS for doing this instead of supporting the CONCACAF Champions Cup, the reality is that all the power is in the hands of the Mexican clubs. They decide the future of CONCACAF. If they say no to this, then this doesn't exist.

If this tournament grows and brings in money from US and Mexican tv and sponsors (there are no other revenues in CONCACAF) then it could expand and give money to the smaller countries so they can afford to send their teams. A true CONCACAF Champions League won't happen any other way.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Today's MLS press release about their "Game First" bs says the top 4 teams in 2007 will qualify for the 2008 SuperLiga. It would be really stupid if 8 of the 13 teams qualify for this.

What would really be stupid is if the 4 semifinalists qualify and that's it. But yes, top 4 regular season teams qualifying (as is proposed based from that article) would be a lot better than top 8.

quote:

This whole tournament is aimed at Mexicans living in the US. So it's funny people blaming MLS for doing this instead of supporting the CONCACAF Champions Cup, the reality is that all the power is in the hands of the Mexican clubs. They decide the future of CONCACAF. If they say no to this, then this doesn't exist.

hmm... an analogy would be UEFA deciding to trash the World Cup and replace it with an all Europe tournament plus Brasil and Argentina.

Would you not blame UEFA if they did such a thing?

Just beacuse UEFA has all the power to do that (just like Mexican clubs have the power to do this), doesn't mean people shouldn't lay in-to them IF they actually carry-out their greedy scheme.

(yeah, I know they didn't trash the CONCACAF CL but it seems a bit mickey-mouse to have it co-exist with the superLiga)

at least the American are trying things

and if they make money then more goes to soccer development.

What is Canada doing to promote their elite clubs?

nothing in terms of a Canada cup club tournament and in my book anything is better than nothing.

quote:Originally posted by sj

at least the American are trying things

and if they make money then more goes to soccer development.

What is Canada doing to promote their elite clubs?

nothing in terms of a Canada cup club tournament and in my book anything is better than nothing.

I wouldn't say anything is better than nothing. It's this kind of thinking that led to stupid ideas such as the shootout after every regular season game that was tied, the clock counting downwards from 45 minutes, etc.

However, this idea shouldn't hurt as long as they revamp it in the near future to give it less of a mickey-mouse aroma.

Guest speedmonk42

I wouldn't say anything is better than nothing. It's this kind of thinking that led to stupid ideas such as the shootout after every regular season game that was tied, the clock counting downwards from 45 minutes, etc.

-------------------

Not sure, but my understanding was that those changes were made with FIFA, as FIFA used the US leagues to try out new rules as a testing ground.

It isn't all based on 'American' stupidity as it is so commonly considered.

Just finished watching the Concacaf Champions Cup semi final between DC United and Chivas (Mex). Fox Sports World has been showing these matches lately and I have a chance to sample a few of them. Judging by the quality of play and overall entertainment value, I would say that this Super league really has potential. I was quite impressed by the quality of play and, from what I saw, the MLS sides can realy give the a top side like Chivas a game even in their home grounds. The difference in this game was a badly mishandled wet ball by DC keepre Perkins. Otherwise DC united might have been off to the finals.

Also, from what in saw of these games, the fans seem to have really taken a liking to these type of competitions.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Also, from what in saw of these games, the fans seem to have really taken a liking to these type of competitions.

Of course, there's 2 big differences between interliga and the concacaf CL:

- Integrity - the CL features the best teams from each league.

- Meaning - there is a spot in the world club cup at stake.

The first difference could easily be nullified. The second one ... a little tougher. If a copa libertadores spot was at stake for the interliga, it would generate more interest. But not sure if Mexico would agree to put up for grabs one of their 3 copa lib. spots that they currently possess.

I've seen some Mexican league preseason matches on TV where there are literally not more than a few hundred people in attendance. On the other hand, the Mexican interliga (the 8-team tournament held every January where the top 2 clubs qualify for the copa libertadores), is very popular.

Until integrity and meaning is added to this new tournament, Mexican clubs and fans might look at it as little more than a preseason warm-up (especially since it begins when Mexican clubs are in their preseason).

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

What about the million dollar prize to your point #2? I don't know, is a million dollars peanuts to one of these big Mexican teams?

It's pretty close to peanuts, though they'll certainly take it. However, more importantly, the $1 million prize provides very little, if any, incentive for the fans to watch.

Archived