North American SuperLiga Created

Richard

LOS ANGELES - Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber together with the Commissioner of the Federación Mexicana de Fútbol Primera Division (Mexican Soccer Federation's First Division), Decio de Maria, today announced the creation of SuperLiga™, the preeminent club tournament in North America that will not only decide the best in the region but will also award the heftiest winner's purse in North American soccer history.

Eight clubs - four each from the top flight leagues of the United States and Mexico - will vie to determine a singular champion of North America. The format, modeled after the UEFA Champions League, will include a group phase and a knockout phase with all games held in U.S. venues. SuperLiga will be played between July 24 and August 29, 2007. In addition to the prestige of capturing this continental honor, the club that emerges as SuperLiga champion will take home $1 million dollars in prize money, an unprecedented prize purse in North American soccer history.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070113&content_id=81815&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Posted here because presumably TFC will be eligible to compete for one of the spots.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, TFC better have a chance to compete...unless the powers that be keep "inviting" the teams...and choosing the venues for the matches based on drawing potential rather than keeping it to the home venues of the participating teams...it's a good start but why does everything in CONCACAF (look at how the Gold Cup has invited and qualified teams in the past and doesnt change hosts) and the MLS have to look slightly fishy/mickey mouse compared to football in most other parts of the world...couldnt they have just let the top four teams from last year's MLS compete, or maybe the playoff semi-finalists...would that have been such an odd idea??

quote:Originally posted by nolando

yes, TFC better have a chance to compete...unless the powers that be keep "inviting" the teams...and choosing the venues for the matches based on drawing potential rather than keeping it to the home venues of the participating teams...it's a good start but why does everything in CONCACAF (look at how the Gold Cup has invited and qualified teams in the past and doesnt change hosts) and the MLS have to look slightly fishy/mickey mouse compared to football in most other parts of the world...couldnt they have just let the top four teams from last year's MLS compete, or maybe the playoff semi-finalists...would that have been such an odd idea??

One reason that the first year was based on invitations was because the Galaxy would not have been part of the tournament if only Top 4 MLS teams were selected. Do you think its a coincidence that this was announced mere days after Beckham signed with MLS. I'd be willing to bet that Addidas and Beckham's other sponsors are also on board as title or presenting sponsors for this tournament.

Guys...this is pro sports...it's always about making money and that's a good thing because we would not have pro soccer if it profit making potential didn't exist.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Why was expanding the CONCACAF Champions League not done? This seems like a rogue competition that is counter-productive to football in the region.

the CONCACAF club championship is only relevant in US/Canadian soccer circles because the winner gets to participate in the world club championship. There is little to no real fan interest in the CONCACAF champions league because most of the teams are "invisible" (never seen on TV). At least the Mexican league is available on TV in the US and sometimes on GOLTV in Canada so there is familiarity with those teams. Again...this is about making money and showcasing the MLS teams, especially those that will have high profile players (for instance, FC Dallas is likely among the 4 invited teams because it is inevitable that Edgar Davids will be playing for them this spring/summer).

Based on the scheduling of the tournament, MLS is trying to take advantage of that lull in the summer sports schedule in North America where little but Major league baseball is happening so that means they are using their heads and I applaud that. Heck, even in the soccer world there is very little going on because it's the offseason in Europe and the EPL doesn't start until end of August. They are trying to grab some headlines at a time of year when there is little to write about in pro sports.

More soccer is never bad so let's applaud rather than put down this tournament. I for one am exicited and just wish TFC were playing in it (hopefully in 2008 they will be).

no applause from this end...I remain completely unconvinced...and so will most of the outside football world, the very people and organizations that MLS and US soccer are trying to convince that American soccer IS capable of hosting a very respectable and comparatively high-level league

quit blurring the issue...we are talking about specific complaints about specific issues like handpicking teams for what is masquerading as a regional championship, which should be at least questioned and debated...jeez, this sounds like bush's self-defense team - the minute we start with the constructive criticism we get this whole "but don't you want the whole north american football model to succeed" kind of argument...kind of a watered-down "trust our heavy-handed ways or we will lump you in with the doomsdayers and brand you a petulant fool" approach...personally i think you can be in favour of things like the MLS and the CONCACAF Cup and the Gold Cup, in favour of them succeeding and in favour of them gaining in respectablity and credibility, without necessarily buying in to the corporate model...we dare to criticise exactly because WE DO care and DO want this whole thing to succeed...watch TFC earn a spot in this latest competition next year by making the final four in the MLS but have it taken away becuase Dallas has signed Raul or Figo or some other washed up import - entirely possible, if you ask me...and then sit back listen to likes of MLS and Richard tell us to shut up and be happy that such inferior markets like Toronto and such laughable countries like Canada even were charitably given a team in the first place.

What's also irritating is that each match is in the US. Mexico has plenty of stadiums where they'd sell-out for this tournament - I'm certain.

What about the Costa Rican teams?????

Handpicking teams is indeed bunk - but who are you kidding, of course the Beckham Galaxy are invited! They have Donovan too don't forget who is a "marquee" player. I expect Yallop to right that ship next season after all, he did quite well with what he had last year after the horrendous start.

Well acording to what I just read here is who will play in the SuperLiga:

USA:

Los Angeles Galaxy

DC United

FC Dallas

Houston Dynamo

MEXICO:

Club America

CF Pachuca

Monarcas Morelia

CD Guadalajara

http://sport.gazeta.pl/sport/1,65025,3848521.html written in POLISH

According to the article Galaxy will only play thanks to Beckham since last year they didn't qualify even for MLS PlayOff's. The SuperLiga winner gets 1million USD, the only thing is we don't know if they play in groups or round robin since there are only 8 teams. So it looks like This years Toronto won't be playing in the SuperLiga......

Oops they will play apparently in group stages

The eight-team tournament, that MLS commissioner Don Garber said would attempt to replicate the European Champions league in scope, will kick off July 24th and end August 29th. Like the Champions League, Superliga will begin with a group stage and then progress to a knockout tournament to crown one champion, with the winners taking home $1million in prize money.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6358138

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

<mod>Originally posted by way2goeh</mod>

Like all North AMerican tournies, notice how no canadian team can participate? Conacaf tourny has no canadian teams. This is an outrage. Vancouver Whitecaps wins the championship and noone give a chit. Ok, they are not in the MLS, but Montreal and Vancouver, year after year, put a product on the field and win. When will someone actually notice this? I hope that this SuperLiga fails UNTIL its fair for everybody. Oh, then I notice it will be played at US Venues. Again, pathetic. Only the Americans CARE about the americans participating. God, this makes me soooooooooooooooo f-in mad.

The whole point of this tournament - never mind the corporate propaganda - is to boost soccer and the MLS in the USA. That's why initially teams are nominated by MLS (so they can be sure their high priced imports are on the field for the cameras) and why the tournie is being played in the USA. Soccer is already big in Mexico. Mexicans will watch their teams no matter where they play. Not so for Americans.

some of you guys really need to get a grip on reality. This Superliga concept is fantastic. For year 1, it's an invitational. that's usually how it works when sponsors put up big money. if it was forking out the money, I'd want the teams most likely to generate an audience to be participating too.

I for one will pay attention to this tournament and those you of you who are "offended" by the corporatization of the game can sit at home and watch re-runs of Everyone Loves Raymond.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

People who believe the great game in Europe is not 'corporatised, need to open their eyes.

In case anyone needs it spelt out I'll add to that: Champions' League and G14.

and before someone says "but the champions' league has proper qualification process, etc." some purists will still point out that the old European Cup was strictly for League champions ONLY (and when applicable the past European champion)

quote:Originally posted by morrison

and before someone says "but the champions' league has proper qualification process, etc." some purists will still point out that the old European Cup was strictly for League champions ONLY (and when applicable the past European champion)

And as recently as 2 years ago, they fudged the qualifying process to allow Liverpool (as champion) into the next year's tournament, despite not having earned a place.

Guest Jeffery S.

It is a private tournament in form. That makes it all the more odd, since the MLS is sponsoring it. One thing is to organize privately, another is to sanction such a model officially. It is a total scandal.

Especially since if the MLS wants to improve its image, what it has to do is win in the Concacaf club championship, for a start. Show it has the level to compete with the other clubs in the region.

This is incredibly unfair, one more error of the MLS after the whole Beckham foolishness.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It is a private tournament in form. That makes it all the more odd, since the MLS is sponsoring it. One thing is to organize privately, another is to sanction such a model officially. It is a total scandal.

Especially since if the MLS wants to improve its image, what it has to do is win in the Concacaf club championship, for a start. Show it has the level to compete with the other clubs in the region.

This is incredibly unfair, one more error of the MLS after the whole Beckham foolishness.

I could not disagree with you more and to call it a scandal is paramount to charging someone with 1st degree murder for stepping on a bug. Please, have some perspective. It's a bloody soccer tournament intended to make money, attract viewership in 2 countries, showcase the premier/marquis teams of both leagues and make sponsors happy.

When has fairness ever been a part of pro-sports??????

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I could not disagree with you more and to call it a scandal is paramount to charging someone with 1st degree murder for stepping on a bug. Please, have some perspective. It's a bloody soccer tournament intended to make money, attract viewership in 2 countries, showcase the premier/marquis teams of both leagues and make sponsors happy.

When has fairness ever been a part of pro-sports??????

Three countries eventually .... hopefully.

Yes, "scandal" is a bit strong although it is a bit odd but I'll forgive them as it is the first year. After that, they'd better

be doing it by league finish.

I'm looking forward to seeing TFC versus Guadalara or one of the other top Mexican clubs at our new home.

It would be like Canada vs. Mexico in qualifying for 1986. What a day that was even though it was disappointing in the end.

db

This is MLS wanting to be in control. Correct me if I'm wrong, but MLS also runs the Gold Cup, right?

This tournament is bunk because the teams are hand picked, and because all the matches are in the US. Is Mexico not in the same time zone? They could easily host half the games, but this will give the MLS teams the home field advantage that they want. This way, they can have that edge, maybe win the tournament, and claim CONCACAF supremacy.

There is nothing wrong with the CONCACAF Champions League. MLS needs to get themselves behind that tournament. Why no expand it, and put some of that sponsorship money into it, and then all of a sudden, there is a meaningful, FIFA sanctioned competition that has gotten much better.

I'd be very surprised if next season teams qualify for the competition. Imagine if Salt Lake, TFC, Colorado, and KC are top four in MLS? All of a sudden, some of those clubs will choose not to compete, and in will swoop LA, and Dallas, etc.

Bunk.

Archived