Good Signs from Toronto FC

BrennanFan

An ethnically diverse team would be ideal I'd think. I'm not from Toronto so I'm wondering if having some Spanish/Portugese speakers in the squad could help bring fans in? Are there local TV stations for these languages they could get on?

Jim Brennan going around to pubs to promote the team is awesome. Take soccer back to its working class roots, get real sports fans out, good move. Something University aged rowdies might appreciate as well.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

enough with the spellnazis alread in this thread and others...I suspect many are posting in their second or third language...which is of course impossible for most whitebread canadians...encourage a bit of proofreading but don't discourage the posters altogether..the more the merrier

quote:Originally posted by nolando

enough with the spellnazis alread in this thread and others...I suspect many are posting in their second or third language...which is of course impossible for most whitebread canadians...encourage a bit of proofreading but don't discourage the posters altogether..the more the merrier

Couldn't agree more. First generation immigrants should not be marginalized on here and discouraged from posting just because their idiom is influenced by their mother tongue and there are a few quirky spellings in their messages.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Beginning October 26th and every Thursday in November from 8 - 9 PM, head coach Mo Johnston and player Jim Brennan will be hitting up local pubs to get to know our fans. This is your chance to get a photo, talk footie and grab a beer with the boys as they make their way around the city hitting the best soccer watering holes Toronto has to offer.

First thing they'll have to do is explain what "footie" is.

quote:Beginning October 26th and every Thursday in November from 8 - 9 PM, head coach Mo Johnston and player Jim Brennan will be hitting up local pubs to get to know our fans. This is your chance to get a photo, talk footie and grab a beer with the boys as they make their way around the city hitting the best soccer watering holes Toronto has to offer.

First thing they'll have to do is explain what "footie" is.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I'm guessing that was aimed at me. So...

nolando-I believe it's time to have your sarcasmometer checked at the garage.

/lighten up, Francis.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Couldn't agree more. First generation immigrants should not be marginalized on here and discouraged from posting just because their idiom is influenced by their mother tongue and there are a few quirky spellings in their messages.

Agreed 100%. At least these folks are striving to speak English in the mainstream and not insisting on a separate board in the language of their old country and thus ghetto-ising themselves. We should be encouraging them, not putting them down. Besides, I'm a landed immigrant too :-)

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Not in Toronto they won't. We know what they're talking about. Maybe in your town.

My point is...

There going to have to cater to some people who aren't very big soccer fans if they want to keep filling the stadium, won't they? Therefore, they should accept the fact that the game is called soccer here, not football.

90% of people who aren't big followers of the sport aren't going to know what "footie" is.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

I'm guessing that was aimed at me. So...

nolando-I believe it's time to have your sarcasmometer checked at the garage.

/lighten up, Francis.

Huh?? Turn down your whitetrashometer!! Oh, and I'll be as sarcastic as I damn well please, thank you very much, especially when it's responding to bonehead comments...

Archived