Rogers becomes a major sponsor of the MLSE

john tv

This is good news for us soccer fans,since this sponsorship aggreemment also calls for the sponsorship of Toronto FC.as well.

This is a biggie and I feel very confident that we now have the right players in place to see soccer become a major sport if not the major sport in Toronto within 5 years.

Tried to get the e-mail address but I had to sign in first and am waiting for the password verification. I guess you will have to read the newspaper report as wel as other media.

As I said it is big. There is also a media conference planned for Wednesday, I will be there and will keep you posted.

It is at the ACC at 11 am.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

This is a biggie and I feel very confident that we now have the right players in place to see soccer become a major sport if not the major sport in Toronto within 5 years.

A major sport? Possibly.

The major sport? Absolutely not.

Still, interesting news about Rogers considering that MLSE is partially owned by rival Bell Globemedia.

A sponsor, or did Rogers buy MLSE? It doesn't make sense for this to be such *big* news for just a sponsorship. MLSE has dozens of sponsors, they don't call press conferences, or talk about them on the radio.

It has been rumoured for a while that Rogers would buy out Teachers, TD and Bell as all three have wanted to sell for a while.

If Rogers is buying MLSE, it probably means a lot more MLS on Sportsnet, both live games and news coverage, just like they have done with Blue Jays and MLB.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

A sponsor, or did Rogers buy MLSE? It doesn't make sense for this to be such *big* news for just a sponsorship. MLSE has dozens of sponsors, they don't call press conferences, or talk about them on the radio.

It has been rumoured for a while that Rogers would buy out Teachers, TD and Bell as all three have wanted to sell for a while.

If Rogers is buying MLSE, it probably means a lot more MLS on Sportsnet, both live games and news coverage, just like they have done with Blue Jays and MLB.

It's not big news. The Press Conference was just one big commercial telling sports fans they can now get Raptors highlights on their Rogers cellphones.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Nothing interesting here. Ok,sorry I brought it up.

PS. Maybe you are dead wrong!

Maybe he meant nothing interesting to him? Don't take it too personally.

Anyway, here is how I see the partnership moving along......

eventually they will exchange some equity so that they are each part owners of each others teams/venues

then they will find an NFL team (either new or used) and move it to a Rogers Centre that needs to be renovated to bring it to the minimum 60,000 seats. This will involve a narrowing and shortening of the available playing area creating more seating and making the baseball dimensions very homer/hitter friendly and the football dimensions only suitable for the narrower/shorter NFL field.

The argos will need to find a new stadium to play in.....the new owner partnership will say "hey, we will make you a lead tenant in our stadium at the ex and will add some more bleacher type seating in the open end and around the top so you can seat 30,000 people."

The argos will move and become the principal tenants in the government funded, but MLSE run, stadium pushing MLS to second tenant status and the CSA to 3rd string.

Within a year of that, MLSE will tell the various governments who actually funded the stadium that it is too expensive to erase those nagging little lines that we use for football so why don't the soccer players and fans just get used to ignoring those big white lines and play within the skinny yellow ones that we will put down for soccer!

Voila, a government funded CFL stadium right on the lake!

Don't yell at me, it is just a theory that Oliver Stone and I cooked up!

Hey it seems to me life is all about money and these guys have it and we need that dough to get that TFC team or the Tower going.I am concerned when it comes to promotions when the B.Jays are playing at the same time as our beloved soccer team. Who is going to get the attention and who is not.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Ypou forgot the part about MLS not allowing MLSE to turn an SSS into a CFL stadium. MLS will not stand for CFL lines on the field. Thats why they are pressuring all teams to move out of NFL stadiums.

What do you think MLS would do? Force the team to move? Force MLSE to sell the team? I doubt it. Truth is, I believe, MLS needs owners like MLSE more than those owners need MLS.

I can't see the NFL ever coming to Toronto either. The NFL has nothing to gain, makes more sense to go to Mexico, which would give them an entry into Latin America, but also give them a boost among Mexican-Americans as I'm sure many of them still follow what happens in Mexico. The first and so far only regular season game was in Mexico, not Canada.

Plus, the stadium issue, the $1-billion price tag, and if it means the end of the CFL, that's not good for the NFL and anti-trust laws in the US.

As for Rogers-MLSE, it's nothing interesting, especially for TFC. Just two huge corporations flexing their communist monopolies to make more money. Like was said, it was nothing more than a commerical.

I think people incl. a lot of media people are reading too much into this. If Rogers wants to buy the team, the sponsorship has absolutely no connection to that. Actually, if they want to buy it, it's kinda dumb they sponsor the teams because it raises the value of the company.

Although, since Bell owns a slice of MLSE, and their main competitor becomes the major sponsor, maybe there is more to this deal.

Anyway, our friend Perkins is at it again. It's basically about the "evil robber barons of MLSE" but in the 5th paragraph, he says "and the soccer team until it folds".

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Yet they allow US college football lines in Houston and NFL lines in New England! MLS will allow the teams to play anywhere the teams think makes sense in their local markets.

You are wrong because the MLS teams in question are renting the stadiums from University of Houston and the New England Patriots respectively. Since these teams don't have their own SSS, MLS has no choice but to put up with gridiron lines on the rented fields. MLS will NOT allow a team that has built an SSS to turn it back into a football stadium because it ruins the presentation of MLS'product to the public. You should be aware that MLS efforts over the last few years from building SSS to changing team names to more European ones are intended to help MLS present itself better to the public. They know soccer fans hate gridiron lines plus they have $$$ from a new TV deal so they will do without the CFL.

You are wrong because the MLS teams in question are renting the stadiums from University of Houston and the New England Patriots respectively. Since these teams don't have their own SSS, MLS has no choice but to put up with gridiron lines on the rented fields. MLS will NOT allow a team that has built an SSS to turn it back into a football stadium because it ruins the presentation of MLS'product to the public. You should be aware that MLS efforts over the last few years from building SSS to changing team names to more European ones are intended to help MLS present itself better to the public. They know soccer fans hate gridiron lines plus they have $$$ from a new TV deal so they will do without the CFL.

The Revs are owned by the Kraft family, which also owns the Patriots. They have never needed an SSS since they own their own stadium.

The Revs are owned by the Kraft family, which also owns the Patriots. They have never needed an SSS since they own their own stadium.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

The part about the ownership structure is true, but the part about not needing a stadium is not. Maybe Robert Kraft thinks the arrangement is fine to have both his teams playing at Gilette Stadium, but to MLS and the rest of the soccer world, watching the Revs play there is awful. In fact, MLS recently informed the Revs that they need an SSS going forward, and a search for a site has duly begun

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/07/25/soccer_officials_want_communities_to_kick_in/

• 2 months later...

Not sure why but I was thinking of this post as I watched some of the Women's Gold Cup final last night.

Are we still certain that MLS would not allow (or be able to stop) football lines from being painted on the field at a SSS? Sure looked like someone has been throwing the pigskin at the Home Depot Centre!

Archived