USector.ca: Toronto Fc Going Dutch?

SeanKeay

Toronto Fc Going Dutch?, TFC Linked To Johan Cruyff

When Mo Johnston suggested that the Toronto soccer community would be blown away by the announcement of his assistant, many felt this was a case of hype run amok. Rumours of Bob Gansler being named as Johnston’s right hand man seemed to agree with this. While Gansler has an exceptional resume for an assistant coach, and would be a fine choice for Toronto FC, only those who follow MLS would know his name. Sources have indicated that Gansler, however, may not have been the coach who Johnston was referring to......

Read more @ http://s15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=583

Johan and I go back a long time.He was the one who made me get involved in soccer big time.I interviewed him several times and attended his pracices while coach at Ajax. One of the kind of funny stories was that at the time we did an Ajax show,he played for Feyenoord. While we interviewed his son Jordie who was 12 at the time,johan was standing watching it develop. We were there to promote the game between the Blizzard and Ajax.

I than became very aware that Johan loves Canada and the US as well. He asked that I speak to the Ajax management and suggest that he would be invited as a guest player on the Ajax team,Well I did and while it was being debated the following day Feyenoord annouced that they were traveling to Indonesia. That killed the idea.Johan and i have stayed in contact and I am sure that if this story is correct,well i will be in my glory and soccer will be the much better of. I kind of doubt it,he demands a lot of money unless the Canadian attraction pays a lot of the bills.

yap very,just a nice thought.Johan is extremely opiniated,very independent and very difficult as well.He will be a hand full if he comes.I know he has that amazing ability to change everything and he has some great ideas.

It'just the same feeling as buying lottery ticket.14 million to one change,so there it is 14m to 1 for him to come.

Guest Jeffery S.

I could see Cruyff working as a consultant of some sort. We could even imagine Barça wanting to get involved with a MLS team and using him as their embassador. Ajax could also do the same. But it could not go beyond something like this.

But there is no way Johan is going to sacrifice his almost yearround golf near Barcelona nor his privileged role as unofficial advisor to FCBarcelona, nor his newpaper writing and press work. He is officially retired from football and there is no way that is going to change now.

By the way Jordi is now playing in the Ukraine for Metallurg.

Bob Gansler (born July 1, 1941 in Mucsi, Hungary) is an American soccer player and coach. He coached the US National Team at the 1990 World Cup, the team's first appearance at the tournament since 1950.

Gansler last coached the Kansas City Wizards, winning the club's first MLS Cup in 2000 and the US Open Cup in 2004. He also coached the Milwaukee Rampage to the A-League title in 1997. As a player, Gansler made 25 appearances for the United States between 1963 and 1969, captaining the 1964 and 1968 Olympic and 1967 Pan American Teams. He stepped down from his coaching position with the Wizards on July 19, 2006.

Gansler played for the Chicago Spurs of the National Professional Soccer League in 1967. When the NPSL merged with the United Soccer Association to form the North American Soccer League, the Spurs likewise merged with the Chicago Mustangs, and Gansler played with the Mustangs of the NASL in 1968.

Gansler's tenure during the 1990 FIFA World Cup was somewhat controversial. He took a team made up primarily of college and amateur players, leaving professionals such as Rick Davis and Hugo Perez off the roster. At the time, the United States did not have a top division outdoor soccer league, the North American Soccer League having folded in 1985. Most domestic professionals at the time played in indoor leagues, and Gansler felt that the skills required for indoor soccer conflicted with the outdoor game. In addition, the United States had been awarded the 1994 World Cup, and Gansler may have wanted to expose the core of the 1994 team to the World Cup experience. Not unexpectedly, the U.S. showed poorly, although the team won a moral victory of sorts by losing to host Italy 1-0, the Italians prevented the embarrassment of a tie thanks to goalkeeper Walter Zenga.

quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

Not unexpectedly, the U.S. showed poorly, although the team won a moral victory of sorts by losing to host Italy 1-0, the Italians prevented the embarrassment of a tie thanks to goalkeeper Walter Zenga.

Who I think made one save in the whole match........

It was (as was the match against the US in 2006) Italy's worst match of that particular World Cup, but whoever thinks it ended up 1-0 largely because of Zenga is attempting re-write history.

Back to the thread topic, Bob Gansler's not exactly a name that would "blow us away" the way that Mo Johnston was saying.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Wasn't there a rumour flying around last year about Barca wanting to buy in to an MLS team? I remember something along those lines.

Think it would be the one Red Bull ended up with. Barça had very good relationships with MLS owners (someone wiser than I will know who at MLS is an NFL owner, and where, and whatever) when they had the NFL Europe team associated with them the beginning of the end as they pretty well helped to kill it. I miss it.

In any case they had even set up a deal of mutual marketing of Barça-NFL in respective stores.

I used to see Johan occasionally, as with the odd Barça player, but it has been a while now I haven't seen anyone, not even a veteran, on the street.

Rudi Johan is not a dead beat.Totally to the contrary and even more a man who changed the face of soccer in the world. You all of a sudden feel entitled to call this phenomena a deadbeat. I sometimes wonder about your reactions observations and motive. very strange indeed. Just for the record Johan is not a dead beat and this debt business is the first I heard.So be more carefull in your responses, it looks really bad.Maybe I should say grow up!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by john tv

Rudi Johan is not a dead beat.Totally to the contrary and even more a man who changed the face of soccer in the world. You all of a sudden feel entitled to call this phenomena a deadbeat. I sometimes wonder about your reactions observations and motive. very strange indeed. Just for the record Johan is not a dead beat and this debt business is the first I heard.So be more carefull in your responses, it looks really bad.Maybe I should say grow up!

Think it was humour John, though you are right that Johan is very relevant still, his vision of the game is sharp and his standards are high. Too bad he does not coach anymore, but I think ever since his heart attack he has changed his life philosophy, and since he has nothing more to prove and no financial problems at all better to live the good life and not get into unnecessary stress situations.

Anything TFC can do to raise profile and standards is good for the team, no reason to come out with your tail between your legs (though folks should remember that precedents suggest a winning season in your first year is tough and probably unlikely).

\i laughed at the tread. Choosing Mo as a coach is sad enough. Then thinking that the best dutch player of all time would be his assistant-- well someone is smoking crack.

Look for someone like Stephen Hart to be Mo's flunkie.

John, do you miss the point of everyone's posts on purpose?

I did not call Johan Cruyff a deadbeat, nor anyone else for that matter (did you see a name in my post?) As Jeffrey said, it was humour, something that - based on your 'war' with Loud Mouth Soup - you're obviously not very familiar with.

Seriously, you don't need to go off the deep end at everyone based on your misreadings. This goes for our meetings in person, too (I still remember you giving the finger to some very friendly people on this board at that one meeting early this year). I respect you as a well-informed member of this board, and I'll chaulk this up to misunderstanding.

I read the word dead beat and I figured that a reference was made to Johan.I get a little sensitive when this kind of reference is made that may be a shot at Johan. If I misread that line well I am very sorry.I am so involved in that game and I am again very sensitive to the kingd of critisim that are disrespectfull of our game. There is this constructive and the other one.I really don't believe that Johan is not coming here, but I also know how much he likes North America and Canada.I believe he is way to old to start a new career and he will also be one big difficult dude. He sees things differently and he has that vision that is very powerfull and may make people sometimes uncomfortable. He knows and sees so much and his record prooves that.This guy was voted as the European football player of the last century.

I am very fond of our relationship and talking about that lottery thing again one in 14 million that he comes. hey what is wrong with hoping afterall.

If he does come I can assure you he will be at any bar you pick out and i will make sure he will be there.I also promise not to give anyone the finger,with the exception of loud mouth,would he come?

Guest Jeffery S.

I read the word dead beat and I figured that a reference was made to Johan.I get a little sensitive when this kind of reference is made that may be a shot at Johan. If I misread that line well I am very sorry.I am so involved in that game and I am again very sensitive to the kingd of critisim that are disrespectfull of our game. There is this constructive and the other one.I really don't believe that Johan is not coming here, but I also know how much he likes North America and Canada.I believe he is way to old to start a new career and he will also be one big difficult dude. He sees things differently and he has that vision that is very powerfull and may make people sometimes uncomfortable. He knows and sees so much and his record prooves that.This guy was voted as the European football player of the last century.

I am very fond of our relationship and talking about that lottery thing again one in 14 million that he comes. hey what is wrong with hoping afterall.

If he does come I can assure you he will be at any bar you pick out and i will make sure he will be there.I also promise not to give anyone the finger,with the exception of loud mouth,would he come?

So you are saying that you "promise" to give Loud Mouth the finger? Sounds ritualistic to me. Can anyone have their digital video ready for that?

John, I like you, maybe because I too get on crusades, but Loud Mouth would probably appreciate you buying him a drink instead of using sign language.

Archived