Sportsnet

RSN East (ET) - 11:00 am ET

RSN Ontario (ET) - 11:00 am ET

RSN West (MT) - TD-1:00 pm MT

RSN Pacific (PT) - TD-12:00 pm PT

FIFA preview: http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,120136,00.html

Other FIFA article: http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,120144,00.html

CP article: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2006/08/03/1717598-cp.html

Canada-China FIFA matchtracker: http://scorecard.fifa.com/u20/flash/Livescore_en.html?id=19&Lang=en

Nigeria-Finland FIFA matchtracker: http://scorecard.fifa.com/u20/flash/Livescore_en.html?id=20&Lang=en

STANDINGS P W-T-L F A

China 6 2-0-0 5 1 +4

Canada 3 1-0-1 4 3 +1

Nigeria 3 1-0-1 3 5 -2

Finland 0 0-0-2 1 4 -3

Everything is still up for grabs. I think even Finland could qualify if they win by 3 goals and Canada loses.

Canada could win and get eliminated. Canada could lose and qualify.

Nigeria will probably win. So Canada needs to win. If Canada wins, Nigeria will have to score 4 goals to eliminate Canada. I think.

If Canada wins by 2, and Nigeria score holds, China will be the one eliminated. If Canada wins by 1, Canada is out. I'm sure the Chinese are aware of it. I don't want to say it will be impossible, but...

This might be good in the long run, might wake up some people that our female program is not as good as it seems people think it is.

Is anybody watching the game? Does it look like Canada might score 2?

Canada was played the whole half with only one forward and it was not Robinson eiither she was playing midfield and was tired by the time she was moved forward thus was rendered inffective at that position too.

go figure Jamani one of the regular starters at the senoir level on the bench for the entire half while we need goals to win the game

knowing that there was a high probability tha NOgerai was going for broke against Finland

looks like Bridge is clueless when it come to preparations and tactics.

Bring in Craig forest as he has seen enough of that kick and run junk at least he has a clue of the way Canada should not play.

this tournament did not serve the purpose of developing players properly or winning games at the highest level for those girl

hope we dont see that crap again it devalue the players that are force to play a system leave any imagination and any other skills except kicking the ball far away forward is required .

feels sad for the girls at the end of the game

a better coach would have made the difference in training,preparation and that crucial first game.

an African coach for the u-17 and u-20 or even Hart would be a much better choice for the program than Bridge.

may be someone recommend Bridge for the TFC position.

I respect Ian Bridge greatly, but this was a disasterous tournament for Canada. The squad was not fully prepared in that first game.

But I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you about Stephen Hart. He's clueless and has no idea about the game. He was very fortunate to be Frank's right hand man, but should not be coaching any team on his own, and should have the "intem" taken away from his job, and punted in favour of Dale Mitchell.

Perhaps it is time for a change at the Women's U20 level, but Stephen Hart is ABSOLUTELY not the answer, in fact it would be a setback. I also doubt Craig Forrest would want the job, and just because he was a good player, doesn't mean he'd be a good coach.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

But I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you about Stephen Hart. He's clueless and has no idea about the game. He was very fortunate to be Frank's right hand man, but should not be coaching any team on his own, and should have the "intem" taken away from his job, and punted in favour of Dale Mitchell.

Perhaps it is time for a change at the Women's U20 level, but Stephen Hart is ABSOLUTELY not the answer, in fact it would be a setback. I also doubt Craig Forrest would want the job, and just because he was a good player, doesn't mean he'd be a good coach.

Could you please elaborate about this? What make you think that he knows nothing about the game, do you know him or saw him coaching?

I continue to hold my position that our U-20 women play a pathetic game. I certainly appreciate and applaud their effort. In order to win they need to play properly under some good leadership. If one of the other teams, say for instance

China were to play the way we played today, I would be laughing at how a country like China would have such a ridiculous team and way of playing wasting possession away.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Sad because the players have all demonstrated that they CAN do better.

I'm not sure about all of them, a few, (not many) showed athleticism but limited skill. Some highly skilled players did not get picked for the team because they play the wrong style for Bridge and they are not big pysical players.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Sad because the players have all demonstrated that they CAN do better.

I'm not sure about all of them, a few, (not many) showed athleticism but limited skill. Some highly skilled players did not get picked for the team because they play the wrong style for Bridge and they are not big pysical players.

quote:Originally posted by sj

Canada was played the whole half with only one forward and it was not Robinson eiither she was playing midfield and was tired by the time she was moved forward thus was rendered inffective at that position too.

go figure Jamani one of the regular starters at the senoir level on the bench for the entire half while we need goals to win the game

knowing that there was a high probability tha NOgerai was going for broke against Finland

Umm, who WAS the striker, then? For a 'midfielder', Robinson was sure getting caught offside a lot. Jamani was ineffective in the first two games. Aside from her speed, Jamani doesn't have much to offer. And speed is more useful late in the game when the other team's defense starts getting tired. Robinson is a much more skilled player. I think it's her, not Jamani, who we'll see starting regularly for the senior side in the future.

quote:Bring in Craig forest as he has seen enough of that kick and run junk at least he has a clue of the way Canada should not play.

this tournament did not serve the purpose of developing players properly or winning games at the highest level for those girl

hope we dont see that crap again it devalue the players that are force to play a system leave any imagination and any other skills except kicking the ball far away forward is required .

Were you watching the same game I was? Canada played some decent football, for a change. I was quite pleased with the way they passed the ball around, even putting together four or five one-touch passes in tight quarters. Some of the long passes were clumsy, but the Chinese were no better. Canada only resorted to hoofing the ball upfield when they were under pressure. Frankly, I prefer the style Bridge's teams play to the style Pellerud uses.

I though this was Canada's best game of the tournament. The teams looked pretty evenly matched to me. Possession was close to even. Canada outshot China more than two-to-one. The big difference was the Chinese defense's clinical execution the offside trap and their keeper who was very poised and decisive and did a great job of nabbing most of Canada's crosses.

Getting knocked out at the group stage is a huge disappointment. But realistically, this was probably the least-talented Canadian U-20/U-19 team of the last three. I know most of the players were returning from the last tournament, but when you take away Maranda, Timko and Lang from the previous squad, you end up with a much weaker team. The sad thing is that, aside from Robinson, none of the returning players appear to have improved much.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Who are these players? And what league do they play in? Can you give some examples?

A raw Jamani showed more skills when she first entered the national program now she she is playing a more kick and run style

Amanda and Sophie was turned into kickers Riverso did display some great touches against Finland and I guest that is why she was benched for most of the against China.

basically if you want to watch those girl play a skillful game stick with w-league games

soccer skills and flair is more of a liability at the national level under Bridge or Pellerud.

skills are meant to stay in the locker room

once you get on the field only think punt or kick and run.

Chemistry, Creativity,cohesion.flair,Poise is prohibited by those two highly sophisticated coaches of the modern game.

they are plain talents and dreams destroyers.

Archived