Women's Soccer Military Championship

That's right, I was denouncing all military spending on sport, denying wellness to people serving their nation, and suggesting they turn over the funds to the CSA. This is like the story that keeps getting better as it gets passed on. Amazing what a few simple questions can lead to. Can't wait to hear what comes next. I'm guessing 'suggests we cut all military defense spending and mandates no athleticism whatsoever for all enlisted men and women.'

For those who care, in the last World Gay Games, the Men's finals saw Cream Team Cologne of Germany beat the USA's San Francisco Spikes, while on the Women's side the Australians 'Look at me Kimmy... Look at Me' placed above the UK South London Studs and USA's Texas Neked Armadillos. And I know you'll find it a travesty they got no taxpayer funding to serve their nation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, colour me slow. I usually can recognize sarcasm when I see it but your original posting did look a little bit like some of your other postings and I guess I took you at your word.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Vic

It would be interesting to see the budget of Canada's military women's team (full cost including indirect overhead: military flights, equipment, lost salaries of the women while they're training/travelling/playing, coaching fees, physio, meals, etc).

How many women of playing age (18-42) are there in the military? Five thousand? Maybe ten? How many of them play soccer? 250? 350?

How truly strange that we have taxpayer funding for them but we have none for our women's U20 this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of us might need sarcasm written in red or are you back tracking now?

It's not just a lack of funding, I don't think the Women's U20 program has any funding. The US U20's went to Mexico in February, Texas in March, England in May, Maryland in June, and the Pan Am games in Brazil in July. How can we close the gap without money? If anything it's getting wider.

We threw money at the Men's U20 for two years, and it will be interesting to see if the all-or-nothing funding trend reverses with a successful 2011 WWC bid.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

It's not just a lack of funding, I don't think the Women's U20 program has any funding. The US U20's went to Mexico in February, Texas in March, England in May, Maryland in June, and the Pan Am games in Brazil in July. How can we close the gap without money? If anything it's getting wider.

We threw money at the Men's U20 for two years, and it will be interesting to see if the all-or-nothing funding trend reverses with a successful 2011 WWC bid.

Our U-19 played 11 games prior to the tournament in Canada in 2002. It seems like the CSA will put more money into the WWC team if we win the bid for 2011.

Today's Results USA 3 - Canada 0

US team is made up of all officers most of who played Div 1 Soccer with their Military Acadamies. They are selected after an annual Competition of Army, Navy, Marine and Air Force teams. Canada's team is made up of 50 % enlisted and 50 % reg force of which half are reservists. Still it would have been nice to score a goal, but the goals against are much lower than several years ago when teams like Netherlands and Germany would score 7 - 10 goals against us. A small talent pool and a large country probably are the two largest factor that affect our performance. Players can only get together as a team twice a year for training. Teams like the Netherlands can actually play in a league because of the small size of their country.

Other results for the Women Korea 4 Netherlands 0, Germany 3 France 2. Korea will play Germany in the final and since in an earlier match Korea defeated Germany 4 - 0 they look to be the class of the tournament. (Perhaps Canada should draft National Team members for their military. This would provide compensation and improve our performance. -- This is a JOKE Vic.)

On the men's side Egypt will play Cameroon for the title. Egypt won the championship last year.

Actually you raise an interesting point. I would much rather see Canadian teams in residency in donated empty military barracks than put up by professional team owners in secret agreements. The Forces also have great medical personal. Nothing could make me happier than picking up the paper one morning and reading they were adopting teams.

The idea of how well the military girls are doing and making out emphasizes the point of thinking outside the box. I was thinking more like the Tim Horton's in Kandahar, but I guess it's hard to bring that many people on a base without clearance. Still, if they had any closed properties they weren't using...

Most of the closed bases are up for sale. Winnipeg is waiting to hear what will happen to Kapyong Barricks which lies adjacent to an upscale neighbourhood.

I wonder if the National Team would consider a female who has finished her college and was in the military for their program if she otherwise qualified. I suppose if she was good enough they would take her. The military might even assign her as a parttime player/coach of their team.

Last year when my daughters played France, Holland and Germany they said they were told that those teams had national team players on their military squads. I doubt if Germany took any National Players this year as it happened just after the WC. As I mentioned 6 of the Korean military players have the same names as National team players.

I also seem to remember the Germans using military players on their full national women's team a while back.

If Ivy League schools recruit kids for soccer, why not the military? Find a way to have them offer some kind of scholarship program for a few girls a year with reduced commitment. They already have the facilities, physio and coaching budget. I believe Royal Military College has the only full-time dedicated women's soccer coach in the CIS. All those resources and their all-time record is 3 wins in 15 games. A little creativity could sure build a hive for excellence. They aren't limited like the rest of Canadian universities in how far they can take things.

RMC's prinary objective is the training of career officers. A five year service committment is required upon graduation. I don't think there are too many young Canadian Women who would make that committment.

Some of the RMC players have played on the Military Women's team at past World Championships but were unable to do so at the CISM World Games in India because they would have missed too much school. My daughter took a semester off from University so that they could go. Unfortunately one of them tore her ACL in training and couldn't go. The one who went said it was a wonderful opportunity to meet young people from all over the world and she hopes she will be selected for the next world games in Brazil in 2011.

As I said in an earlier posting at least 6 members of the Korean team had the same first initial and last name as members of the team that competed in China that reached the second round. I would bet that considering how things are in N. Korea many of their players would be in the military.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

As I said in an earlier posting at least 6 members of the Korean team had the same first initial and last name as members of the team that competed in China that reached the second round. I would bet that considering how things are in N. Korea many of their players would be in the military.

Hmmm, that would explain it. Thanks for the piece of info.

Archived