Women's Soccer Military Championship

Is anyone aware that the Canadian Military has a women's soccer team that competes internationaly? Check out this website http://www.universitysport.ca/e/story_detail.cfm?id=7318

Canada Soccer seems to be completely unaware of this competition. I've have heard (but can't confirm) that the German and Dutch team have national team members on their military team. Does anyone know anything about this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Results from Women's Military Football(Soccer) Championship in Zoutkamp, Netherlands.

France 3 Canada 2 -- Canada scored in first 4 minutes. Had leads of 1 - 0 and 2 - 1 and lost in the last minutes of the game. France has two National Team members on this team.

Netherlands 5 Canada 0 Never a chance for Canada. Holland is big, strong and experienced team. Last years champion. They play (train) together all year. The country is small enough to get together often. Canadian players get 2 - 3 weeks to train together.

Canada to play South Africa for 5th place.

More later.

To Sigma

Why wouldn't the UK have a women's military football team? Your military is much larger than Canada's and I know you have the female football players? It would seem to be a natural with teams in France, Holland and Germany. Canada is a large country with a small military and the women can only get together to practice for a total of about 18 days a year. Maybe Sigma you can make some enquires and find out and let me know. Thanks if you can. (If anyone else has heard anything about this level of competition, please post your information.)

Canada 2 South Africa 1 for 5th place. Don't have scores for the medal games but think it was Holland over USA for first (2nd championship in a row) and Germany over France for third place. Germany won the first Championship 3 years ago (Last year's championship was cancelled because several teams had scheduling problems. It was going to be in Canada. ) Next year I heard the tourney will be in India sometime in October as part of the World Military Games. Here is a website with information.

http://www.cism-milsport.org/eng/welcome.html

Still no notice from Canada Soccer. Go figure.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

To Sigma

Why wouldn't the UK have a women's military football team? Your military is much larger than Canada's and I know you have the female football players? It would seem to be a natural with teams in France, Holland and Germany. Canada is a large country with a small military and the women can only get together to practice for a total of about 18 days a year. Maybe Sigma you can make some enquires and find out and let me know. Thanks if you can. (If anyone else has heard anything about this level of competition, please post your information.)

Just a guess but I assume it might have something to do with the England/Scotland/Wales/NI vs. UK thing?

To Sigma

Might be right except at the olympics teams represent the UK not each of the "sub"countries which have representation in soccer only because of history. They were the "founding" nations of the sport.

To Richard

The Canadian Military provides the financial support for the team, allow the players to be temporarily assigned and does recognize sport internally. Their mandate is not to promote the sport of football "soccer". The last time I checked, that is the CSA's responsibility. The German's Dutch and French allow their players to participate in this competition. While I don't think too many (read none) of the National team members are in the military CSA did make note of the fact that Christine Sinclair sort of dominated US Women's College Soccer for the past few years. Who is responsible for her development -- CSA or the American College System? But that is another issue.

To Sigma

Might be right except at the olympics teams represent the UK not each of the "sub"countries which have representation in soccer only because of history. They were the "founding" nations of the sport.

To Richard

The Canadian Military provides the financial support for the team, allow the players to be temporarily assigned and does recognize sport internally. Their mandate is not to promote the sport of football "soccer". The last time I checked, that is the CSA's responsibility. The German's Dutch and French allow their players to participate in this competition. While I don't think too many (read none) of the National team members are in the military CSA did make note of the fact that Christine Sinclair sort of dominated US Women's College Soccer for the past few years. Who is responsible for her development -- CSA or the American College System? But that is another issue.

Christine Sinclair dominated the US college scene starting in her freshman year - who prepared her for that if you want to go down that nugatory road? She was also a prominent member of Canadian national teams so a natural for promotion - can't say the same for the players on the military team most of whom have never got beyond their Canadian varsity teams. The OAU and the CIS did publish some articles on this team from Canada. Here's one article for a start, thanks to www.bcsoccerweb.com that promoted it at the time http://www.oua.ca/news/?id=4366.

You have no clue do you?

To Doyle,

I guess not. Please explain.

To Richard

Ok, let me get this straight. The CSA program is to develop players for the US College system and then let the US colleges spend money on the players and then gather them together every once in awhile to represent Canada. Sort of like the NFL and NBA and the American colleges. How hard would it be for CSA to just put a little note on their website like the Canadian Universities did. I'm very sure that although the CSA does not "control" military sport that the CSA must have had some impact on these players' development through lower level governing bodies, Provincial, city, club, etc. Still I like to think that the CSA is just ignorant of the competition and not deliberately ignoring it. I can imagine why the CSA wouldn't recognize the effort put in by 18 - 20 young women who represent their nation as members of the Canadian Military and as Football players. I guess I really don't have a clue.

My next to the last line should have read:

I can't imagine why the CSA wouldn't recognize the effort put in by 18 - 20 young women who represent their nation as members of the Canadian Military and as Football players. I guess I really don't have a clue.

I would hope that my meaning was not affected by my lack of proof reading.

To Doyle,

I guess not. Please explain.

To Richard

Ok, let me get this straight. The CSA program is to develop players for the US College system and then let the US colleges spend money on the players and then gather them together every once in awhile to represent Canada. Sort of like the NFL and NBA and the American colleges. How hard would it be for CSA to just put a little note on their website like the Canadian Universities did. I'm very sure that although the CSA does not "control" military sport that the CSA must have had some impact on these players' development through lower level governing bodies, Provincial, city, club, etc. Still I like to think that the CSA is just ignorant of the competition and not deliberately ignoring it. I can imagine why the CSA wouldn't recognize the effort put in by 18 - 20 young women who represent their nation as members of the Canadian Military and as Football players. I guess I really don't have a clue.

Any excuse to slag the CSA - again - I see. Why didn't you send an email to Richard Ivan or Earl Cochrane alerting them to the CF team's participation in this event with a few links to news stories or to the person in the CF who was responsible for media liaison? I can assure you they would have been very grateful for the assistance. Instead as usual you just whine and bitch after the fact without doing anything proactively - you guys are unbelievable and enough to turn me right off the Voyageurs.

Richard

slag again? That would imply that I have done this before. Check my postings. I am relatively new to this website and have only posted on this one issue. The rest of my responses have been explainations of my position on this single issue. As to emailing the CSA, I have done it twice. Once during the last championship two years ago at Fort Eustis, Virginia, USA and once this year. Guess what? NO RESPONSE. I used the CSA email address posted on their website. I have checked your postings and you are a TRUE BELIEVER in the CSA. Never a harsh word. Always coming to their defense. It is almost like you own stock in the CSA. I believe that the CSA has a responsibility to all participants in this great sport. They seem (my opinion of course) to have their own narrow adgenda in soccer. Wouldn't it be better to be a little more inclusive? I would be interested if other people feel like I do. If not I will shut up for awhile. As for the military, well it's hard to believe that this is as important as Afghanastan to them, so I'm willing to cut them some slack. PS Has anyone ever received a reply from the email address listed at the CSA website.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I have alerted that pair of CSAers through email on many instances. Only to be ignored or received some bogus excuse. That friend, is reality.

I have no trouble communicating with either of these two gentlemen at the CSA. Maybe you need to establish your credentials somewhat. I trust you identify yourself fully in your emails and don't hide behind anonymity like so many people do in this forum.

It was not my intention to start up a great debate as to the ability of the CSA to respond to the public. Still I would think public relations would be important. And since everyone who emails them is a member of the public entitled to a response or at least a thanks, message received. I would think it would not be necessary to actually produce credentials since the emails were simply providing information which could easily be verified.

If I am off base here or missing something then I am sorry I am wasting your time, but it seems that many people have the same concerns. Please let's run an informal poll. If you have been following this exceedingly boring discussion please either respond

Richard has it right OR terpfan68 has it right

Let the games begin.

As somebody who receives large volumes of email through my website I can assure you the people who are courteous and don't hide behind anonymity get my attention and a prompt response. Others go to the back of the line and some are ignored because they don't warrant attention.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I have no trouble communicating with either of these two gentlemen at the CSA. Maybe you need to establish your credentials somewhat. I trust you identify yourself fully in your emails and don't hide behind anonymity like so many people do in this forum.

My credentials with the CSA are just fine. You would be surprised.

Hi

I am the coach for the UK Combined Services womens team. The reason we dont compete in the CISM compitition is because the UK withdrew from the CISM in the 1950's, for a number of reasons. We did take part a few years ago but because we were invited by the hosts (Holland). We were hoping for an invitation this year after we played the Dutch last Nov at the Hague, but it didnt work out. We do however play friendly internationals, and have played the Canadian team a couple of years ago in England when they came for a training camp prior to the CISM in USA.

I hope this clears things up. We are preparing to come to Vancouver Island in Feb 07 for a couple of weeks to play the Canadian team again.

Cheers

Steve

Archived