Canadians abroad: April 7-13, 2006

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

In Danish second tier, our Canuck scores twice to lead Vejle to victory:

Vejle [5 - 1] Brabrand

55' [2 - 0] I. Nakajima

86' [5 - 1] I. Nakajima

Geez, he is on a roll, isseyn't he? And it looks like he'll be in top flight next season too...

Check out the videos of the goals at

http://www.vejle-boldklub.dk/kampreferat.aspx?KampReferatID=2442fe40-cb0e-11da-ab34-001022fe44d4

Excellent site really, showing Issey on the left side of the attack in a 4-3-3. On his first a corner is taken from the right side, the ball is chipped on to him on the left side of the box, he controls it cooly and hits it in with his left. On the third, a corner from the left side, he gets his head onto it hard, another player chips it just in front of the keeper and gets the goal. On the last, the clip is great, as it shows the opponent getting theirs on a dumb own goal, the Vejle kickoff from centre and the almost immediate final goal, after a nice move down the left from a tricky teammate who delivers it to him near the goalmouth, where he flicks it in high.

McKenna played 90 as Cottbuss beat Hansa Rostock 2-0 to go six points up on the chasers for the final promotion spot to Bundesliga One. Their nearest rivals have a game in hand though.

Hutchinson's Copenhagen came back to beat FC Midtjylland to stay top of Danish top flight as well. Hutch played 90, the team is 2 points up on Brondby with a game in hand.

Good that he is scoring so much but judging from the clips, it seems to be a very poor level of soccer. Reminds me of the German 4th division, doesn't seem even close the Regionalliga. Seems to be a poorer level than the USL to me. On the other hand if they promote we will be able to see what he can do at a much higher level.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Good that he is scoring so much but judging from the clips, it seems to be a very poor level of soccer. Reminds me of the German 4th division, doesn't seem even close the Regionalliga. Seems to be a poorer level than the USL to me. On the other hand if they promote we will be able to see what he can do at a much higher level.

I have to agree that it did not look like a great level to me either. But we have been told that Denmark is a higher level league than Sweden or Norway. What would that say about our guys, some called to the national team, playing in those lower divisions?

Maybe we have to take into account the fact that most of the goals are 2nd half, when the rival was worn down, and just assume that they fought and were in the game with a bit more energy and talent until then. Then there is the terrible field, almost as bad as Stamford Bridge, and the fact that they are only 3 weeks into the 2nd part of the season.

But still, I also thought it was a bit rough, especially the defending of the rival.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I have to agree that it did not look like a great level to me either. But we have been told that Denmark is a higher level league than Sweden or Norway. What would that say about our guys, some called to the national team, playing in those lower divisions?

Maybe we have to take into account the fact that most of the goals are 2nd half, when the rival was worn down, and just assume that they fought and were in the game with a bit more energy and talent until then. Then there is the terrible field, almost as bad as Stamford Bridge, and the fact that they are only 3 weeks into the 2nd part of the season.

But still, I also thought it was a bit rough, especially the defending of the rival.

But the two guys in question, Pozniak and Reda, have both proved that they can be starters at the first tier level in these countries and neither left this level because of lack of ability. Reda's career stalled because at the same time he jumped to a higher club he had injury problems and now he needs to work his way back up. Orebro wanted to keep Poz but he was not happy with their contract offer and we have to assume that Haugesund met his salary demands. Maybe this was not a great move as far as developing as a player but these guys have to make a living too. Regardless, one of Ossieck's mistakes was to judge players too much based on where they played and not enough on their actual ability. We are weak at defence and neither Poz nor Reda have looked out of place when they played for us unlike a few other lower level players, ie. Sulentic, Leduc, Gervais, Pizzolito.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

But we have been told that Denmark is a higher level league than Sweden or Norway. What would that say about our guys, some called to the national team, playing in those lower divisions?

I may be leaving myself open to charges of patriotic bias here :D but I would say the level in Denmark is not higher than in either Sweden or Norway. Norwegain teams have done better than Swedes or Danes in both the Champions League and UEFA Cup in recent years (witness both Tromsø and Viking in the UEFA group stage last year), and while FC København have won the Royal League both years running, this year that match could have gone either way, and the quarterfinals saw 3 Danish, 3 Norwegian and 2 Swedish teams - about as even as it gets.

Also, while I have a lot of respect for both Pozniak and Reda, the fact that they play in the Norwegian 1st division and are still getting called up to the national team does not bode well for Canadian depth at the back. If nothing else, the speed and skill level in any of the Norwegain, Swedish or Danish 2nd tier does not prepare you for international competition.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Also, while I have a lot of respect for both Pozniak and Reda, the fact that they play in the Norwegian 1st division and are still getting called up to the national team does not bode well for Canadian depth at the back. If nothing else, the speed and skill level in any of the Norwegain, Swedish or Danish 2nd tier does not prepare you for international competition.

That is true but we are weak at the back and until we have more depth we still need to call them especially as they have played decently when called. Obviously we need to be developing higher level players for our back line so I would prefer to see guys like Braz and Ledgerwood called instead of these two but we can not yet afford to drop them out of the picture.

Guest Jeffery S.

One other place we could use a decent sub for is at the left side of the attack, someone behind Radzinski. I know that others could work there, like Josh, and De Rosario can also play down the left. Who else would you put into Yallop's 4-3-3 as a natural left footer down that side? I am not saying that the guy has to be called up immediately, but with Issey scoring goals and setting them up on a team set for promotion into Danish top flight suggests maybe he is stronger than we had imagined. First all power to him. Second, why not take a look at him in the near future?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

One other place we could use a decent sub for is at the left side of the attack, someone behind Radzinski. I know that others could work there, like Josh, and De Rosario can also play down the left. Who else would you put into Yallop's 4-3-3 as a natural left footer down that side? I am not saying that the guy has to be called up immediately, but with Issey scoring goals and setting them up on a team set for promotion into Danish top flight suggests maybe he is stronger than we had imagined. First all power to him. Second, why not take a look at him in the near future?

How about the guy who was recently signed by a team in the Dutch top flight? Mr. DeJong ahead of all other in my opinion. He played very well for the U-20s too.

Archived