Canada moves up 3 in FIFA rankings

sKriSh

I understand that some "national experts" view a ranking in the 80s as very good for a country that does not have a pro league, that we are ranked very high among countries with no leagues. I used to buy some of this argument but now I am more inclined to the money aspect. We just need more money. Some minow countries in Concacaf have budgets three times as big as our CSA and they have a population of a fraction of our country.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I understand that some "national experts" view a ranking in the 80s as very good for a country that does not have a pro league, that we are ranked very high among countries with no leagues. I used to buy some of this argument but now I am more inclined to the money aspect. We just need more money. Some minow countries in Concacaf have budgets three times as big as our CSA and they have a population of a fraction of our country.

What decent sized country(s) doesn't have it's own national league?

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

What decent sized country(s) doesn't have it's own national league?

To address both points:

- I doubt other FA's pour so much of their budget into the women and amateur game, which is a great majority of the CSA's budget.

- How many countries are the size of Canada, have their (small) population so spread out and have soccer as a secondary sport? If you want to get technical, Canada does have a national championship, only it is at the amateur level. Canada is in a unique position and the only similar country is Australia, which values outdoor international team sports (rugby, cricket) a lot more.

Canada is a top 5 national in sport, overall behind the likes of the USA, Russia, maybe Australia etc. We're competitive in pretty much every olympic sport (I see being top 10 as being extremely competitive). Just so happens soccer isn't one of our strong points. I know this is a soccer site but baby steps...Baby steps and maybe we'll be in the top 40 one day.

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

Canada is a top 5 national in sport, overall behind the likes of the USA, Russia, maybe Australia etc. We're competitive in pretty much every olympic sport (I see being top 10 as being extremely competitive). Just so happens soccer isn't one of our strong points. I know this is a soccer site but baby steps...Baby steps and maybe we'll be in the top 40 one day.

There's an article I have here which pegs us at 11. I'll post it.

Guest Jeffery S.

In the Olympics or in Track championships, or in swimming, we are in there around tenth. Some sports we are lagging in -tennis is one we should be better at- while others we seem to be improving in, like men's gymnastics.

I also think it is a bit illogical that we have not developed strong middle distance running or better cross-country skiing.

In any case, it is true that in soccer we are well behind where we should be.

If we beat the US, unfortunately we may move up only 1 or 2 spots because the

US (many other countries) would play MORE matches and rack up more points. That is

another reason why the US is ahead of England in FIFA rankings, or why Cuba is ahead

of us.

Archived