If we don't support MLS are we less Canadian?

argh1

no you aren't.

i will support the toronto only ahead of the other mls clubs and to in support of canadians playing soccer. but i won't support them anymore than say i support leicester, ipswich town, or even cottbus (if you catch my drift here). i will continue to hold the whitecaps in highest regard with my other club manchester united.

to put it another way, i don't support the raptors ahead of say the los angeles lakers (as an all-time fav of mine), or even ahead of the suns.

support whichever club you want. support the toronto team as a show of support for canadians. it doesn't make you less canadian if you don't.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'll have an interest in a Toronto MLS club primarily based on their player content. If a Bremen game was on Fox when Stalteri was there, I'd usually watch it if he was in the lineup and generally would be hoping they would win. I can see me watching Toronto MLS games on the same basis. I know right now when a MLS game is on and it's not San Jose, I don't usually last more than 20-30 minutes unless it's an awesome match, which isn't often. Perhaps the Toronto team may encourage me to watch or even seek out their games on TV. But I can't see myself buying gear, making road trips, etc.

I don't think this makes me "less Canadian" as your favourite club teams don't necessarily have to match up with your country. Think of how many Canadians that consider the Boston Bruins, Philly Flyers, etc. "their" clubs even though they have no geographic connection to them. Similarly, if Toronto ever got a NFL (which will never happen) I don't think it would be expected that lifelong Canadian fans of other clubs would be obliged to drop their allegiences. Sometimes it gradually happens over time. Remember that every Ottawa Senators fan was a Leafs fan or a Habs fan (or someone else) less than 15 years ago.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Robert

The money hungry, self-centered approach is okay if the club is entirely funded through private sources, however, every Canadian taxpayer has contributed some share to the start-up of this handout club. I hope</u> they never forget that.

I see you've moved on from Pipe to MLSE now.

How is this a 'handout' club? MLSE will be the single-largest contributor to this venture if you factor in the stadium plus expansion fees. Or does $18 million for the stadium (not inluding overruns) plus $12 million (US) for the team plus operating costs constitute a handout now?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I will continue to support the Earthquakes in the MLS while Pwamme is playing for them.

As will I.

I've been a Quakes fan since 2001, and I'll be one for as long as Dwayne is there, although I'll be a bigger Toronto fan when the time comes.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Say we're not a fan of MLS in Toronto. Does that make us not a supporter of Canadian soccer. Or does having an MLS team in a couple of years make supporting that team a prerequisite to supporting Canadian soccer even though we support what is available in our areas.

Not trying to be a smart alec....just wondering what the views are?

well- i will not one to blow my load while watching MLS on the Outdoor Life Network in 07 like many on this board claim to want to.

And as long as I have a Canadian passport, I'm a Canadian. Like saying-- are you any less black if you don't listen to Nelly.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Yes, you don't have to support a Canadian MLS team. However there are some here who are openly hostile to a Toreonto MLS team and hope it fails. Being indifferent to any Canadian club isn't necessarily bad, but to actively hope for the demise of any canadian club is counterproductive to canadian soccer, and therefore anti-canadian In my opinion.

I'll admit that I'm hostile to the expansion but I don't think it makes me any less Canadian. Being Canadian and wanting the best for football here is the reason why I'm opposed to the team. I personally think that this venture is not going to benefit the game in this country. I'm not going to say that I hope it fails because I think that its imminent failure is one reason why it is going to hurt the game.

At the same time, though, I hope it ends quickly because this country has to be set on the right track. The quicker we realize that we are on the wrong track and going the wrong way, the quicker we can turn around and try to find the right track. With the massive ignorance the CSA has displayed, and the inability of the supporters to acknowledge the infantile steps that need to be taken I do, in a vengeful type of way, hope that this thing goes down in flames to really open up people's eyes! There is nothing like a fiery crash to show people that there are huge faults...

I feel like the parent of a troublesome kid who won't listen to the advice of the wise. I can't keep telling the kid, CSA/Supporters, how things should be done and after a while I have to let the kid learn by himself. I have to let him get in trouble to make him realize that he's doing things the wrong way, and should try it another way, somebody else's way.

quote:Originally posted by Leafs

Having spent many years in the west of Canada, I can tell you the Blue Jays where as much the home team as they where in Toronto.

Every bar you went to was jammed with people watching the Jays.

Perhaps glory hunters during the World Series era. But that's about it. We support the Seattle Mariners much more, to be honest.

What a moronic comment.

Every taxpayer in this Country has Contributed to BC Place Commonwealth Olympic Stadium.

Mr Robert brainiac, tell me who has built a soccer facilty in this country without fedral money.

Every one seems to forget that Canada made a commitment to Fifa for WYC 2007. How convinient is it for the cry babies like you to over look this fact.

How fortunate we are that MLSE came forwad to allow this to happen.

Go grind your axe somewhere else. Most of us are purly sick of your retared comments.

Can you spell Gomery. Better get those Federal tranfere $$$$s quickly.:D

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Perhaps glory hunters during the World Series era. But that's about it. We support the Seattle Mariners much more, to be honest.

Both teams have large fanbases in the West.

Whenever the Jays play in Seattle there's always a large core of Jays fans in the stands, often visible by their Canadian flags.

I browse a hand full of Blue Jays boards, and on all of them the West is well represented.

Even at the Dome this is evident. For example...

The Jays ran a promotion this year with GM. A glass encassed car was put on display in the outfield this year, and the idea was that whenever a homerun ball hit the car, that car would go to a fan. In order to be eligible, fans had to sign up for the contest on the web. Before every Jays game, the names of three contest entrants would be displayed on the Jumbo Tron, and those three fans would be eligible to win the car that given game. Along with the names, the Jumbo Tron also displayed the contest entrants' locations. I can tell you that close to half the entrants were from outside of Ontario - many of which came from out West. Even I was surprised how many came from places such as B.C or Nova Scotia, given these are regions supposedly dedicated to other teams (Mariners and Red Sox).

As much as the anti-Toront crowd hates to admit it, the Blue Jays are Canada's team. This isn't arrogance or some misplaced need to be accepted speaking. This is a fact. If you surveyed every Major League Baseball fan in Canada and asked each who they supported, I am confident that, not including fans from Ontario, the Blue Jays would be at the top of the list. Of course, the Jays would not have a monopoly. There'd defintely be some diversity on that list. But nonetheless, above any other team the Jays would attract the most support from Canadians nation-wide.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

As much as the anti-Toront crowd hates to admit it, the Blue Jays are Canada's team. This isn't arrogance or some misplaced need to be accepted speaking. This is a fact. If you surveyed every Major League Baseball fan in Canada and asked each who they supported, I am confident that, not including fans from Ontario, the Blue Jays would be at the top of the list.

I wouldn't argue that if you held a poll, the Jays would be tops with the rest of Canada. But certainly not against the field. ie: I'd say 60-70 per cent of Candians outside of Ontario cheer for someone other than the Jays, but no one other team has more than the 30-40 per cent the Jays would have.

I knew dozens of Expos fans, but I can only think of one Jays fan I know. I don't even know any Mariners fans. It's mostly Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers with a few Twins fans thrown in.

I have no doubt there will be more Toronto MLS fans than the rest of the US MLS teams, but I'm not sure that they would be necessarily Canada's team.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Robert

A hope</u> to work with sounds nice and diplomatic. However, it will be evident quite early on if Toronto's MLS team operates in a united way with the local soccer community or if they go into competition with a club such as the Lynx. I can understand the uncertainty the Lynx are experiencing. They must feel that their existence is threatened. The ball is in the Toronto MLS team's court. Do they perceive the Lynx as having any value to themselves and an asset of Canadian soccer? Or will they let them strave and die? I can have respect for the Toronto MLS team if they show a commitment to fielding more than one or two token Canadians each and every game, and if they support the different levels of soccer already in existence in the Toronto community. If they are a money hungry, self-centered entity, then the sooner the MLS club goes under, the better off Canadian soccer will be. Like I said, the ball is in their count now. The money hungry, self-centered approach is okay if the club is entirely funded through private sources, however, every Canadian taxpayer has contributed some share to the start-up of this handout club. I hope</u> they never forget that.

What are you taking about. There are only two provinces who send money to Ottawa, Ontario, Alberta, the rest just suck back the public purse.

What rubbish, the federal government receives money from every province in confederation and every province receives money back from the federal government. You can argue till hell freezes over about what money goes where and you'll never satisfy everybody that you've got it right. The dollar amounts and the direction of flow depends upon the political persuasion of the person you're speaking to.

I think the Toronto MLS team will definitely be portrayed in the media (as far as it goes) as Canada's MLS team until there is another one in Canada. Those who bear a grudge against Toronto or have some hang-up about Canada's largest city won't take to it, but I suspect a lot of other people who don't have a problem with Toronto (I've heard rumours they exist outside the greater Toronto area) will give this Toronto team their first loyalty the same way the Expos were undoubtedly Canada's team for a good 8 years until the Jays gave Canadians two options to choose from.

Sportsnet, for example, has spent more time in the past few years covering MLS than they have the Canadian A-league teams. Now that the MLS is coming to Canada that's only going to increase. The next time they do an "impress the MLS" feature, those NCAA players will now thankfully have a Canadian team to strive for that won't count the fact they are Canadian against them.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

What rubbish, the federal government receives money from every province in confederation and every province receives money back from the federal government. You can argue till hell freezes over about what money goes where and you'll never satisfy everybody that you've got it right. The dollar amounts and the direction of flow depends upon the political persuasion of the person you're speaking to.

Have not and have provonces. Some send some recieve. Only Ontario and Alberta send more than they recieve. Thats a fact jack. Its just the way it is.

Manitiba may be close to being a giver soon and possibly sask, the rest just take more than they give.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

BC was temporarily a have not province but is not any longer so add BC to the giver category. See, it is not as bad as the Ontario whiners try to make out (and that from a former proud Ontarian).

Well when you send 23 billion more out than you get we have a right to complain. The rest of you asses just take. BC is getting 300 M for the Olympics. No one in the east whines. We get 27M for a Stadium and all the crybabies come out to whine.

Have not and have provonces. Some send some recieve. Only Ontario and Alberta send more than they recieve. Thats a fact jack. Its just the way it is.

Manitiba may be close to being a giver soon and possibly sask, the rest just take more than they give.

Well when you send 23 billion more out than you get we have a right to complain. The rest of you asses just take. BC is getting 300 M for the Olympics. No one in the east whines. We get 27M for a Stadium and all the crybabies come out to whine.

Not to get off track here, but the status of provinces in the transfer system is quite fluid, and rightly so.

Nova Scotia started off as a "have" province, after all. In fact, I think many of Ontario's early roads were financed by Nova Scotian tax dollars.

Funny how people accept handouts without problem, yet whine like little schoolgirls when their turn comes to help out others, eh Ontario?

BTW, I have a Ontario birth certificate, so "nyah nyah nyah boo boo".

Although I am a big fan of Dutch soccer I never had this rah rah thing in me.I just hope that this team will motivate younger players and that we will have role models to show them.I hope to see those shirts and maybe scarfs on them.Foremost I really hope that these role models are Canadian. I have been around many young Canadian soccer players who had these dreams to play at the highest levels and this team will be a tremendous inspiration and motivation. Once they play as a basis player and make the difference on the team than I hope the media is around to do their part.We need the glamour,our kids need the glamour and we all need a glamour team and the young guys on this board may even forget about sex.

Not to get off track here, but the status of provinces in the transfer system is quite fluid, and rightly so.

Nova Scotia started off as a "have" province, after all. In fact, I think many of Ontario's early roads were financed by Nova Scotian tax dollars.

Funny how people accept handouts without problem, yet whine like little schoolgirls when their turn comes to help out others, eh Ontario?

BTW, I have a Ontario birth certificate, so "nyah nyah nyah boo boo".

Shame you never grew up.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Re: Federal transfer payments.

Who gives a sh!t?

Let's talk some bloody soccer, fer goodness sake!.

The ref to Feds is the money they are giving to a Stadium. My point was that Ontario pays out way more than it gets. For once Ontario is getting a little back and the crybabies pop out of the woodwork.

I'd argue that many who are supportive are more a by-product of the combination of:

a.) the World Series title, and

b.) the Rogers media overkill.

And don't forget about the many transplant Expos fans!

Myself, I'm a Chicago White Sox fan... but only because they were the parent club of the Vancouver Canadians.

It's been 12 years since the Jays last won the World Series. I think anyone still supporting them can safely be labelled legitimate fans.

The media excuse is lame. Is there some sort of strict criteria that qualifies someone as a "true" fan? Does discovering a team through the media disqualify one from such a title?

Plus, Rogers has only owned the team since 2000 (maybe later). Has there been some kind of Blue Jays explosion in the West since that time?

this is just an absolute idiotic topic.

no one is putting a flippin gun to anyone's head and telling them that if you don't support Canada's only entry in that sport, than you are less Canadian.

was a blue jays fan since its inaugural season. had an incident with Damaso Garcia back in the late 80's, took it up with Blue jays management, they didn't care to address the issue and haven't been a fan of the team. although, i had a warm feeling when they won the North American Baseball Series but haven't been a true fan since, i can name you 'til this day that starting lineup, all their pitchers and relievers, coaching staff, but couldn't really tell you anything after that. Does that make me less Torontonian. Don't care, personal choice, blue jays haven't seen a dollar from me and best of all, i have not seen baseball in the teddy's dome, nor will i care to.

i root for spain in every WC rather than Italy, my own cultural background (obviously, Canada would be my choice, but under the present circumstances).

i do not understand, why is it such a constant issue about MLS - Toronto, being a negative appeal. you don't like it, hell, follow your local team in the USL (whatever they are calling it now) or D# or PDl or ABC or 123 or DOE RAY ME.

The ref to Feds is the money they are giving to a Stadium. My point was that Ontario pays out way more than it gets. For once Ontario is getting a little back and the crybabies pop out of the woodwork.

The only reason BC gets federal transfer payments is to support those "eastern bums and scum" that Klein kicked out of Alberta so many years ago and who now collect pogy in BC so they can continue their monthly Mardi Gras.

Archived