If we don't support MLS are we less Canadian?

argh1

Say we're not a fan of MLS in Toronto. Does that make us not a supporter of Canadian soccer. Or does having an MLS team in a couple of years make supporting that team a prerequisite to supporting Canadian soccer even though we support what is available in our areas.

Not trying to be a smart alec....just wondering what the views are?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by argh1

Say we're not a fan of MLS in Toronto. Does that make us not a supporter of Canadian soccer. Or does having an MLS team in a couple of years make supporting that team a prerequisite to supporting Canadian soccer even though we support what is available in our areas.

Not trying to be a smart alec....just wondering what the views are?

I think there is a big difference between being a dedicated fan of any one club or league which is very much a personal choice and being a general supporter of the game in Canada. They are not necessarily synonymous. I would hope however that saying you don't support an MLS club in Toronto doesn't mean you wish it didn't exist because that would be showing a lack of support for soccer in Canada.

There are some people on this board who already are fans of certain MLS teams. If they don't switch their allegiance to a new team in Toronto that doesn't mean that they aren't Canadian soccer supporters (especially if they are nowhere near the Toronto area). And I wouldn't blame them if they don't - I was already a Dodgers fan when the Jays came to town and already a Lakers fan when the Craptors came to town, and I didn't switch. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't cheer for Canada's basketball team in the Olympics.

But I agree with Richard that there's a difference from being a fan of a certain team and supporting the notion of MLS clubs in Canada.

I support MLS in Toronto, just as I will support MLS in Montreal and Vancouver, I also support our USL teams. This does not mean that I am a classic 'fan' of any one club in the traditional sense, maybe I am but that is an entirely different notion. I hope many soccer players and enthusiasts who live in Canada and elsewhere will support MLS in Toronto in this fashion.

I support MLS in Toronto, just as I will support MLS in Montreal and Vancouver, I also support our USL teams. This does not mean that I am a classic 'fan' of any one club in the traditional sense, maybe I am but that is an entirely different notion. I hope many soccer players and enthusiasts who live in Canada and elsewhere will support MLS in Toronto in this fashion.

I've been a supporter of the Colorado Rapids for years. It started with Jason Bent a few years back and I was lucky enough to see them play twice with him in lineup.

But I'll likely support Toronto MLS simply because now that we've likely started down this path, advocating for its failure would be exceedingly more damaging to Canadian soccer than its success. I also still support the Caps and the Impact and will advocate for their inclusion in MLS come 2009.

Still have a soft spot for the CRapids and their fans who fondly remember J. Bent.

I've been a supporter of the Colorado Rapids for years. It started with Jason Bent a few years back and I was lucky enough to see them play twice with him in lineup.

But I'll likely support Toronto MLS simply because now that we've likely started down this path, advocating for its failure would be exceedingly more damaging to Canadian soccer than its success. I also still support the Caps and the Impact and will advocate for their inclusion in MLS come 2009.

Still have a soft spot for the CRapids and their fans who fondly remember J. Bent.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I would hope however that saying you don't support an MLS club in Toronto doesn't mean you wish it didn't exist because that would be showing a lack of support for soccer in Canada.

Yes, you don't have to support a Canadian MLS team. However there are some here who are openly hostile to a Toreonto MLS team and hope it fails. Being indifferent to any Canadian club isn't necessarily bad, but to actively hope for the demise of any canadian club is counterproductive to canadian soccer, and therefore anti-canadian In my opinion.

I would hope however that saying you don't support an MLS club in Toronto doesn't mean you wish it didn't exist because that would be showing a lack of support for soccer in Canada.

Yes, you don't have to support a Canadian MLS team. However there are some here who are openly hostile to a Toreonto MLS team and hope it fails. Being indifferent to any Canadian club isn't necessarily bad, but to actively hope for the demise of any canadian club is counterproductive to canadian soccer, and therefore anti-canadian In my opinion.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Didn't Jason Bent go to Germany? What happened to him?

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I'll likely support Toronto MLS simply because now that we've likely started down this path, advocating for its failure would be exceedingly more damaging to Canadian soccer than its success. I also still support the Caps and the Impact and will advocate for their inclusion in MLS come 2009.

I'm in the same boat. I support KC and I'm not sure it will be easy to switch my allegiances, but the way KC is going I may not have to worry. Heck they might be Toronto in 07 . . . And if Vancouver comes in in 09, will I stick with Toronto or support the western team? I don't know.

To answer the bigger question, I don't think you even have to necessarily support MLS in Canada and can still be a Canadian supporter. As long as we can put asside club differences for national team matches I don't think anything else matters.

cheers,

matthew

Your question should read, "If we don't support MLS in Toronto, are we less Torontonian?"

Vancouverites live three time zones away. Why would we support your club?

Canadian sports media shove the Toronto Blue Jays down all of our throats, but it would be a mistake to believe that they are perceived by Canadians from coast to coast as being "their club".

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

What is the Toronto MLS team's hope for the Lynx?

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

If the shoe were on the other foot & Vancouver got an MLS team first, I would support them even though they are 3 time zones away from where I live. The thing is, they would be the only team from my country in the league, and that is more important to me than what time zone they are in.

When Vancouver does get an MLS team I will be cheering for the team to do well - except when they play Toronto of course. ;)

MLSE has publicly stated that they hope to work with the Lynx and have them operate out of the new Exhibition stadium. I don't see that as seeking their demise.

A hope</u> to work with sounds nice and diplomatic. However, it will be evident quite early on if Toronto's MLS team operates in a united way with the local soccer community or if they go into competition with a club such as the Lynx. I can understand the uncertainty the Lynx are experiencing. They must feel that their existence is threatened. The ball is in the Toronto MLS team's court. Do they perceive the Lynx as having any value to themselves and an asset of Canadian soccer? Or will they let them strave and die? I can have respect for the Toronto MLS team if they show a commitment to fielding more than one or two token Canadians each and every game, and if they support the different levels of soccer already in existence in the Toronto community. If they are a money hungry, self-centered entity, then the sooner the MLS club goes under, the better off Canadian soccer will be. Like I said, the ball is in their count now. The money hungry, self-centered approach is okay if the club is entirely funded through private sources, however, every Canadian taxpayer has contributed some share to the start-up of this handout club. I hope</u> they never forget that.

Sums up how I feel. While I hope the Toronto MLS club isn't a flop I won't support them. I already support a local club and almost half a dozen euro teams. Toronto != Canada, even if they try to market it that way down the road.

Your question should read, "If we don't support MLS in Toronto, are we less Torontonian?"

Canadian sports media shove the Toronto Blue Jays down all of our throats, but it would be a mistake to believe that they are perceived by Canadians from coast to coast as being "their club".

Having spent many years in the west of Canada, I can tell you the Blue Jays where as much the home team as they where in Toronto.

Every bar you went to was jammed with people watching the Jays.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

A hope</u> to work with sounds nice and diplomatic. However, it will be evident quite early on if Toronto's MLS team operates in a united way with the local soccer community or if they go into competition with a club such as the Lynx. I can understand the uncertainty the Lynx are experiencing. They must feel that their existence is threatened. The ball is in the Toronto MLS team's court. Do they perceive the Lynx as having any value to themselves and an asset of Canadian soccer? Or will they let them strave and die? I can have respect for the Toronto MLS team if they show a commitment to fielding more than one or two token Canadians each and every game, and if they support the different levels of soccer already in existence in the Toronto community. If they are a money hungry, self-centered entity, then the sooner the MLS club goes under, the better off Canadian soccer will be. Like I said, the ball is in their count now. The money hungry, self-centered approach is okay if the club is entirely funded through private sources, however, every Canadian taxpayer has contributed some share to the start-up of this handout club. I hope</u> they never forget that.

What a moronic comment.

Every taxpayer in this Country has Contributed to BC Place Commonwealth Olympic Stadium.

Mr Robert brainiac, tell me who has built a soccer facilty in this country without fedral money.

Every one seems to forget that Canada made a commitment to Fifa for WYC 2007. How convinient is it for the cry babies like you to over look this fact.

How fortunate we are that MLSE came forwad to allow this to happen.

Go grind your axe somewhere else. Most of us are purly sick of your retared comments.

Robert lost his wager that the CSA and Kevan Pipe in particular would fail to realise a SSS in Toronto, certainly not have one in time for WYC 2007. He is now wagering that MLSE will railroad the Lynx out of business in order to sustain is inimitable spirit of failure and negativity. He must lead a really sorry existence, what a guy!

Archived