Rendering of TO stadium

Daniel

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Actually Ryan, it looks nothing Frontier Field, but EXACTLY like Rochester's new stadium PAETEC Park.

Methinks they'll double up the nearside grandstand to match the other side.

I wish they would have made the seating less gradual and steeper to put people closer to the action.

Ive been to Frontier. Trust me, I know what it looks like :). I think its the tunnel directly to the right of the large concourse and the brick that brings it to mind. Although yes, PaeTec Park isn't that from from that picture either.

quote:

Ive been to Frontier. Trust me, I know what it looks like :). I think its the tunnel directly to the right of the large concourse and the brick that brings it to mind. Although yes, PaeTec Park isn't that from from that picture either.

Not to be picky dude, but I was also at Frontier Field this past year, and it looks now way like the TO stadium or PAETEC Park. Frontier is a baseball stadium, with only one deck, covered stands and an outfield. Not sure how that looks anything like what's been shown here.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Not to be picky dude, but I was also at Frontier Field this past year, and it looks no way like the TO stadium or PAETEC Park. Frontier is a baseball stadium, with only one deck, covered stands and an outfield. Not sure how that looks anything like what's been shown here.

If I had a choice, I'd go with covered stands. Any large amounts of generated fan noise will have no choice but to move onto the pitch. Plus the somewhat fickle nature of Toronto's spring and early fall would seem to make covered stands beneficial, if not necessary. But really, I'd like covered stands mainly for the purpose of having large amounts of noise being directed onto the pitch.

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

If I had a choice, I'd go with covered stands. Any large amounts of generated fan noise will have no choice but to move onto the pitch. Plus the somewhat fickle nature of Toronto's spring and early fall would seem to make covered stands beneficial, if not necessary. But really, I'd like covered stands mainly for the purpose of having large amounts of noise being directed onto the pitch.

EXACTLY

The Voyageurs/Ultras in full noise mode can use the covered grandstand to become a "12th man" on the field. Have you guys seen the effect Liverpools' crowd has on games played at Anfield?

For the price you're not going to get a covered stand. I think the Vancouver stadium is beautiful and this one will be fine. It's nothing special, but it looks nicer than Varsity (no track for one) and now that there is no Varsity, it's much better than the alternative.

Is this a good time to point out that if the city of Toronto hadn't bulldozed the main stand at CNE six years ago, you'd have a covered stand, the city wouldn't have had to chip in a dime for a good 20,000 stadium and you could probably cover the other stand with the money you saved. But heaven forbid there be forward thinking on a city council.

For me it's better than Crew stadium (the one end has elevated stands so shots behind the goal there's a void) and not as good as PHP in Dallas or HDC in LA. Of course those were pricier venues.

With the brick work outside, this will look decent from the outside and if its full it will have atmosphere. Crew stadium looks kind of humble for a lot of Crew games, but you play US v Mexico in there and it has a great feel. I don't see why this new stadium can't contain the game atmosphere.

For all our US visitors, there isn't a university stadium in this country as nice as this one (maybe McGill? or does that count since it's a pro stadium too), never mind high school. You may build 20,000 seat palaces for teens in Texas, but up here this will look more polished, more professional, more major league than anything short of the CFL stadiums.

I think we need to be realistic about what this money can buy and remember that you can always add in the future.

cheers,

matthew

What does a really cheaply made roof cost? 500,000$? 1 000 000$? I'm taling bus stop here. Hell, they could even use a grid and just tarp it up during the summer. How much would a barn roof cost? Etc. We're not talking Millenium stadium, here.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What does a really cheaply made roof cost?

You mean a leaky, chicken little, sky is falling jobby like this?

ca03stad.gif

About $207 million. :D

Sorry Daniel, couldn't resist. I think with the structure needed to keep a roof up and covering a significant part of the stand you're looking at seven figures for sure. But I could be talking out my ***. I just didn't see anything on this tight of a budget having any frills.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What does a really cheaply made roof cost? 500,000$? 1 000 000$? I'm taling bus stop here. Hell, they could even use a grid and just tarp it up during the summer. How much would a barn roof cost? Etc. We're not talking Millenium stadium, here.

According to Appendix E of the MLSE management agreement there will be a roof over the west grandstand (just like the 2003 one). So I think the final version will look alot like the 2003 rendering, which was decent-looking.

Stadium Minimum Specifications

* Seating capacity of 20,000 with flexibility to increase to 30,000

* Will meet CSA, MLS and FIFA specifications and requirements

* A video scoreboard and a marquee "LED" sign visible from the Gardiner

* Premium seating areas consisting of 20 to 30 luxury viewing suites, 2 group areas and 500 club seats

* The stadium will have an artifical turf playing surface, an air supported winter structure allowing for use during the winter months and a covered canopy on the west grandstand of the stadium

* F&B Kiosks

* Merchandise Kiosks

* Team and community locker rooms

http://www.ontariosoccerweb.com/ost...opic.php?t=1736

quote:Originally posted by matthew

You mean a leaky, chicken little, sky is falling jobby like this?

ca03stad.gif

About $207 million. :D

Sorry Daniel, couldn't resist. I think with the structure needed to keep a roof up and covering a significant part of the stand you're looking at seven figures for sure. But I could be talking out my ***. I just didn't see anything on this tight of a budget having any frills.

cheers,

matthew

Saw it coming :P.

For roofs: I've seen neighborhood stadiums with 500 people capacity with roofs. If they can have it, I'm sure there's a way to get it on a $60m new stadium. It's just not in the culture so they won't do it on their own.

It doesn't get more basic than this and it would make a world of difference.

standsm.JPG

I think its a bit early to get on about the Stadium. I have not seen one press release with this image attached to it.

Lets wait and see after the MLS anounment what the Stadium will look like.

One thing is for sure, I cant see MLSE build it without private luxury boxes.

Topic

fetajr

37 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 : 09:58:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to god they don't put in that crap artificial turf. Does anyone know what the plans are gonna be?

CanadianSoccerFan

117 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 : 10:34:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately it's going to be FieldTurf because the city wants to be able to put a bubble over the field in the winter and still be able to use it for the community. I find it very frustrating but I can understand it somewhat considering the money and land the city has put up for it. The only upside I can see is that there will be no bloody football lines on it

fetajr

37 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 : 10:51:13

that sucks, I can't believe they wouldn't go all in on this. Countries with equal/less economic power and with equal weather conditions can manage to maintain a natural grass field.

Santiago, Chile - winter is cold as hell, but no crazy snow storms though

Moscow, Russia

Stokholm, Sweden

Olso, Norway - http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/norway/oslo_ullevaal1.jpg

Helsinki, Finland

ideally, a stadium like the one in Olso would be perfect for Toronto, the semi-roofs are awsome,... the engineers/architects that designed the Toronto stadium made it way too simple ..... i'm so annoyed with the FieldTurf, ... couldn't the bubble be a clear bubble so that it gives a greenhouse type of effect to the natural grass?

Joe MacCarthy

325 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 : 11:21:14

quote:

Originally posted by fetajr

that sucks, I can't believe they wouldn't go all in on this. Countries with equal/less economic power and with equal weather conditions can manage to maintain a natural grass field.

Santiago, Chile - winter is cold as hell, but no crazy snow storms though

Moscow, Russia

Stokholm, Sweden

Olso, Norway - http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/norway/oslo_ullevaal1.jpg

Helsinki, Finland

Isn't the main stadium in Moscow (Luzhniki?) a Fieldturf installation? Also wasn't Finland the first Fifa test tournament for FieldTurf at the Fifa World U17. Like it or not dude it's the wave of the future according to Fifa.

FIFA does have specs for rating surfaces.

http://www.fifa.com/development/IATS_info_032004.pdf

and other information backing the validity of the "new" artificial surfaces

http://www.fifa.com/en/development/pitch/index.html

http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/...articleid=74382

FIFA is going full steam ahead on artificial surfaces. It is the only solution for many climatically challenged continents like Asia and Africa.

Some quotes:

UEFA's head of competitions Rene Eberle told a conference earlier this year (2003): "Artificial turf products are getting better and better and can eliminate some of the serious problems clubs and associations are facing in terms of natural grass.

"If all our criteria are met and our research over the next two years is positive, I see no reason why we could not have artificial surfaces in the Champions League by 2005-06."

FIFA president Sepp Blatter even hints that some pitches for the 2010 World Cup in Africa will be artificial.

Jarrek

Mississauga

Canada

1814 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 : 12:11:57

quote:

Isn't the main stadium in Moscow (Luzhniki?) a Fieldturf installation? Also wasn't Finland the first Fifa test tournament for FieldTurf at the Fifa World U17. Like it or not dude it's the wave of the future according to Fifa.

It is, and the National team hasn't played there since its installation.

So the new stadium has become the 40,000 seat natural grass soccer specific Lokomotiv Stadium.

Topic

MLS teams play on it in New York and in Salt Lake City. Grass would be preferrable, but in order to meet their community hours objective with the winter bubble, it will have to be turf. Now both grass and turf can be done on trays, but I don't know if MLSE or the city would want to pay for both sets of turf, the maintenance of the grass and the installation and removal of both.

Archived