Hurricane thoughts..

Cheeta

Is it just me or dose it strike anyone else at how incredibly fu'ked up the whole hurricane disaster responce is down there in New Orleans?

The richest, most powerful nation on the earth can't get their **** together long enough to evacuate, or at least provide reasonable aid, to indigent people trapped in that Hell hole? What the fu'k is with that?

And it's not like they didn't know it was coming. And it's not like it, the hurricane, turned out as badly as they thought. Thank God the bloody thing twisted a little to starboard and lost some steam otherwise who knows what the TV reports would look like.

Realisticly, as awful and huge as the destruction is it really is confined to a small area and an area which had be largely evacuated thanks to strong warnings.

Crazy. Just crazy.

If the U.S. of A, a country which has lived by the sword for a few decades now, is organized and armed to the teeth with both professional and reserve forces reaching 2 million uniforms and has virtualy unlimited funding available can't adequetly respond to a predicted disaster of this scale in a relatively isolated and "prepared" region then what's going to happen when the Big One hits California?

Or some unpredicted emergency hits a MAJOR urban centre? Like chemical plant fires in Chicago. Or dirty nukes in New York? Use your imagination. I think a lot of Americans are.

You get the impression New Orleans is finished? I do.

Don't feel any better but at least I got it off my chest. Thanks for the time.

P.S. Have the racial cards been played yet? If they haven't, you know they are going to be. This whole drama is going to get nasty, vicious, ugly, yet my boy.

"The richest, most powerful nation on the earth can't get their **** together long enough to evacuate, or at least provide reasonable aid, to indigent people trapped in that Hell hole? What the fu'k is with that?"

Of course the US can respond and help these people more. The gov't chooses not to. I mean, there are no oil reserves down there so who cares, right?

Even during this month the US will probably spend as much money in Iraq as in Louisiana. When both disasters are over, the totals won't even be close. $ spent in Iraq will be ten times higher.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Of course the US can respond and help these people more. The gov't chooses not to. I mean, there are no oil reserves down there so who cares, right?

Ummm...I'm guessing you have no idea about the major oil industry along the Gulf Coast, I take it?

And not to sound evil, but with 2 days notice, why did so many people stay in the city? They were told to get out and they chose to stay. Sorry, but if my city and state leaders told me it's best you leave, I'm leaving! Possessions be damned...

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

And not to sound evil, but with 2 days notice, why did so many people stay in the city? They were told to get out and they chose to stay.

Not all, but the vast majority of those who remained in the city are so poor they had no means out.

The real issue is that FEMA should have had buses waiting to evacuate these people prior to the storm making landfall. It is well known that the system of levees and pumps could not handle a storm of this magnitude.

The director of FEMA should resign. I saw him on television lastnight and he was visably shaken and was at a loss for words. Seemed like a guy who knew that his directorate failed miserably when it truly mattered.

They tell people to go to the convention centre and there is no relief to be found there. No food, no water, no medicine, nothing.

Total chaos.

<devil's advocate again>

With 2 days notice, my feet are walking like they've never walked before. The poor still have feet, don't they? Well, 95%* of them, like the rest of the general population.

(*pulled number out of my ass, do not flame war over it)

</devil's advocate>

So where would they walk to? Being caught in the middle of nowhere during a hurricane is more dangerous than hiding-out in the Superdome.

I mean, you can't walk that far in one day (they couldn't realistically have left until Saturday night). At two miles per hour, even walking for 16 hours in one day gets you 30 miles from New Orleans. In other words, you'd me toast even if you walked in the correct direction (which on Saturday night meant walking east, but that would have been the wrong direction in the end).

Ummm...I'm guessing you have no idea about the major oil industry along the Gulf Coast, I take it?

Well, I thought the major oil reserves were well west of where the hurricane hit: West Louisiana through to Texas. Few (or no) reserves in New Orleans and Mississippi to my knowledge.

That's not being a devil's advocate LoudMouth, that's called moral relativism.

Favorite party trick of neo-cons and tyrants everywhere.

Next you're going to tell me that those who perish in the coming Armageddon deserve to die.

Why don't you and MacPher switch borders. I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open arms in Jesusland.

Don't forget your bible. I'll lend you a King James version.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

New Orleans is still a huge port for shipping. Not so much oil reserves but refineries and docks to transfer the oil land there (as I understand it).

Besides, the oil isn't going anywhere and it still belongs to the US. Now oil in Iraq, that needs to be grabbed before it is too late.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

P.S. Have the racial cards been played yet? If they haven't, you know they are going to be. This whole drama is going to get nasty, vicious, ugly, yet my boy.

For an idea on how race being played in the media regarding this disaster, click on this link and scroll down (stop and pause everytime you come accross the term "Fox news"[xx(]):

http://thestar.blogs.com/azerb/

For a great daily news program that can truly give you an idea of what's going on, go here:

http://www.democracynow.org/

quote:Originally posted by canso

That's not being a devil's advocate LoudMouth, that's called moral relativism.

Favorite party trick of neo-cons and tyrants everywhere.

Next you're going to tell me that those who perish in the coming Armageddon deserve to die.

Why don't you and MacPher switch borders. I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open arms in Jesusland.

Don't forget your bible. I'll lend you a King James version.

Ahhh, there's nothing like pre-judging people on the intraweb. That has to be one of the stupidest responses I've ever received to a post here.

You know me so well.

/sarcasm

//yes, that actually is sarcasm

///that's one thing I will let you know about me.

And not to sound evil, but with 2 days notice, why did so many people stay in the city? They were told to get out and they chose to stay. Sorry, but if my city and state leaders told me it's best you leave, I'm leaving! Possessions be damned...

Some people have gotten sick and tired dealing with hurricanes over the past couple of years that they wern't going to move again.

Now see that, canso? Doyle responded in a way that debate could follow. I can see his point and might have continued on with the discussion from there. I made my point not from some political standpoint (which you then decided I did and painted me with), but from a way to ignite debate. There was no flame war bait, no insults, no asnine comment (at least as I felt there wasn't), no asylum-patient-style rant.

But you decided to destroy the thread with dumbass insults before it had a chance to start.

So long, nimrod.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Some people have gotten sick and tired dealing with hurricanes over the past couple of years that they wern't going to move again.

I would say it's more than that. I heard that just under 40% of all New Orleans residents are below the poverty line. This seems a bit high to me, but whatever the case, most of these people did not have any access to any vehicles. Furthermore, there were no government-led evacuation procedures prior to the storm - none - people were just told to get out of Dodge or head for the SuperDome. Therefore, most of those who stayed did not "choose" to stay as some of the mainstream media down south is appallingly suggesting but were forced to stay because they either had no means of transportation to leave the area, or they had nowhere to go to.

Geezus, I honestly don't know what to think of this. Come on you guys.

You know, I think to put this into context with what DoyleG wrote, there are always going to be people who'll try to ride it out. Who on this board hasn't been on a road during winter when everyone on the news and the radio had strongly advised otherwise? To me, it's something like that.

There are those, as suggested and is odviously evident, who had no means of leaving on two days notice. If they wanted to or no. The means was beyond them and apparently no alternative existed. These people were left to their own devices. Charming. Very bloody nice.

That those poor sons of bitchs were advised to rally here or there and then just forgotten about is beyond belief. What excuse can you use for allowing what happened at the Superdome?

That arse Trent Lott was on CNN today defending this whole fiasco and sounding stupid doing it. I'll admit the logistics of something this grand are huge but you can not convince me that in any 1st world nation, the southern USA included, that it wasn't odvious to everyone with a functioning brain that immediate aid wasn't criticaly required at the Superdome. The USA, with all its advanced warning had no means of providing this aid? The USA? God help us all if that is true.

Every hour that FEMA or whatever the Hell it's called has been unable to provide meaningful aid and response beyond those 1st 48 has cost lives. Serious, serious numbers of lives. The horrible death toll of this tragidy will not be a result of an act of God, but on the heads of those incompitant and indifferent authority figures.

Shameful.

P.s. By the way, Metro, nice links.

I don't drive, I have nowhere to go in the case of an emergency. If all of a sudden there were an emergency here where I live and there was 2 days notice where the hell am I supposed to go?

Posession be damned, yes. Really, in the case of an emergency, just where the hell would I go? If I were given 2 days to leave the city, big frigging deal. I'd still have nowhere to go.

I'd ask you, where'd you go with no means of transportation, and no destination where'd you go if told you had to get out. My guess is you'd have no clue without transportation.

Here is an article that was feaured as a cover story of national geographics in 2004 regarding the devastion that a small hurricane would inflict. incredibly, it came true.

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/index.html

here is a quote.......

"When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet. But the doomsday scenario is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens hurricane shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too great."

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Here is an article that was feaured as a cover story of national geographics in 2004 regarding the devastion that a small hurricane would inflict. incredibly, it came true.

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/index.html

here is a quote.......

"When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet. But the doomsday scenario is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens hurricane shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too great."

PBS did a show on a possible hurricane devastation on New Orleans as far as back as 2002. You're right Free Kick...this possibility was well known.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Also (to quote the Chaufeur in 'Me, Myself and Irene');

Maybe Bush can send those still in New Orleans some Fried Chicken! You know how much Black people LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE Fried Chicken! :D

Anybody else notice how often the displaced people are being called "Katrina refugees"?? 011.gif

Archived