Canadians abroad: August 26 - September 1, 2005

DJT

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It is reported in the Neil Davidson article that OO will be there in Luxembourg. I was just saying that it was too bad he won't be there in spain since he's scoring at least a goal a week for 4-5 week in a row.

True, though Ali has been sharp the whole year and I can only recall seeing one other player (DeRo for San Jose) score on a bicycle kick. Problem is with three strikers in total being called I'm not sure there's room for both OO & Ali up front.

Mike Klukowski played the entire match as Club Brugge tied Lierse 1-1 in Belgium on Saturday. Mike received a yellow card in the 65th minute.

Marcel De Jong came on in the 64th minute as Helmond Sport defeated Go Ahead Eagles 3-1 in the Dutch Gouden Gids Divisie on Friday.

Marco Reda came on in the 72nd minute as AaB tied AC Horsens 0-0 in Denmark on Sunday.

Julian Uccello came on in the 63rd minute as Sansovino defeated Castel San Pietro in the opening round of Serie C2B on Sunday.

Rocco Placentino did not play, nor was he on the bench, as Gualdo tied Montevarchi 0-0 in Serie C2B on Sunday.

David Masciantonio played the entire match as Monterotondo tied Tivoli 1-1 in the Coppa Italia Serie D on Sunday. The return leg is next Sunday, with the aggregate winner advancing.

From England on Monday:

Pesch on in the 90th minute in Derby's 2-1 loss to Watford.

As reported, Peters on in the 51st minute in Ipswich 4-0 loss to PNE. (Greg Sutton's agent should make a call as young Price and Supple aren't inspiring confidence at Portman Road.)

Hume off in the 64th minute as Rovers defeat former Premiership powerhouse Swindon Town 1-0.

"The way we celebrated in Ibiza was a joke. The trophy was shaped like the European Cup and some players said 'lift it like the Champions League trophy'. It was tongue in cheek.

We told Kevin Gallen to run like Steven Gerrard did when he captained Liverpool to the cup. It was a joke but they obviously didn't get it."

QPR midfielder Marc Bircham after Coventry players suggested their 3-0 weekend defeat of the London side was revenge for the way they celebrated winning a summer tournament in Ibiza.

bircham_i.jpg

"The way we celebrated in Ibiza was a joke. The trophy was shaped like the European Cup and some players said 'lift it like the Champions League trophy'. It was tongue in cheek.

We told Kevin Gallen to run like Steven Gerrard did when he captained Liverpool to the cup. It was a joke but they obviously didn't get it."

QPR midfielder Marc Bircham after Coventry players suggested their 3-0 weekend defeat of the London side was revenge for the way they celebrated winning a summer tournament in Ibiza.

bircham_i.jpg

Mika Dronyk played 30 minutes for Bashley Reserves this past Saturday, attempting a comeback from his recent knee injury. Unfortunately he re-injured the knee, and is likely to be out for another 3-4 weeks.

Elliott Godfrey scored in Hampton & Richmond Borough's 3-2 home victory against Slough Town on Bank Holiday Monday, placing Hampton at the top of the Ryman League Premier Division. They are ahead of such fancied clubs as AFC Wimbledon and Fisher Athletic.

Marcel de Jong entered in the 54th minute for Helmond Sport in a 2-0 win over Stormvogels Telstar. From the report:

"Kort na deze treffer bracht Brood Marcel de Jong in voor Razic. Nog maar vier minuten in het veld zette de jonge linksbuiten Calabro vrij voor de keeper."

Translation: Shortly after the goal [to make it 1-0], manager Brood brought in Marcel de Jong for Razic. After just 4 minutes on the field, de Jong set Calabro free in front of the keeper.

Helsingborg, with Atiba playing 90, lost away to Kalmar 2-0. They are now at 5th place, 7 points up to the leaders with 6 matches left to play. I think it's safe to say they are no longer a championship contender. They can still finish top 4 though, which would give them a Royal League (Scandinavian club championship) spot.

Archived