Confederations Cup [R]

DJT

Originally posted by argh1 - 06/14/2005 : 10:49:30</u>

This starts tomorrow with RSN showing two games.

Germany/Australia at 4 pm ADT and Argentina/Tunisia at 12:30 am ADT.

Combinded with the WYC Canada/Columbia game at 12:30pm the ole VCR's gonna get a work out.

Being a soccer addict I don't mind Confed's Cup, but I do wonder why RSN is showing this event. You know though if countries sent their top players this would be a great event as all have won or runners up in their respective Confederations' Cups which is no mean feat in it's self.

Group A:

Argentina

Australia

Germany

Tunisia

Group B:

Brazil

Greece

Japan

Mexico

Originally posted by argh1 - 06/15/2005 : 02:21:29</u>

FIFA has ordered Mexico to recall four Guadalajara players that were released to play for their club in the next leg vs Boca Juniors in the Libertadores Cup or face FIFA suspension.

Well argh1, the others might not be interested, but I'm looking forward to this. The stronger teams are sending some relatively and somewhat suprisingly strong rosters while the weaker teams were always going to take this seriously.

For those like me with FSWC (UEFA Women's Championship) and RAI International (Coppa Italia), there are actually 5 matches available on Wednesday! Can't watch them all.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Originally posted by argh1 - 06/15/2005 : 02:21:29</u>

FIFA has ordered Mexico to recall four Guadalajara players that were released to play for their club in the next leg vs Boca Juniors in the Libertadores Cup or face FIFA suspension.

Wow , interesting. Wonder if CONCACAF woud do that to us or someother teams for the Gold Cup?

Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone - 06/16/2005 : 17:08:59</u>

What's got into Germany???

Regarding yesterday's match, Craig Forrest was suggesting Klinsmann is going to have his lads attacking all the way into 2006. Is this possible?

After that nutmeg on Chipperfield, the world didn't seem so glum...

He doesn't have to be Portuguese to feel that way. Greece got on a good run, had a few bounces, and some luck. However, they have come back down to where thwy belong. They will need lots of luck to qualify for the World Cup, and they will be lucky to score a goal at the Confederations. They are like Canada's Gold Cup winning team. They got on a roll, and had some luck. Also like Canada, Greece won't qualify for a World Cup for another 20 years. But unlike Canada, they tied Brazil 0-0 at the Confederations Cup.

Interesting approach from Klinsmann. Not sure what to think of him as a coach, but he at least is shaking things up.

---------------------------------------------------------

Third-choice German keeper to face Argentina

By Kevin Fylan

NUREMBERG, Germany, June 20 (Reuters) - Third-choice goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand will play his first competitive match for Germany when they face Argentina in the Confederations Cup on Tuesday.

Hildebrand is behind Oliver Kahn and Jens Lehmann in the pecking order, but with Germany assured of a place in the semi-finals whatever the result of the final Group A game in Nuremberg he will get a chance before the top two return.

"Timo will play because he's left an outstanding impression on us in training over the past three weeks," said Germany's assistant coach Joachim Loew.

Head coach Juergen Klinsmann has yet to decide on who will be the number one at next year's World Cup and he will continue to rotate his goalkeepers at the Confederations Cup.

Loew said on Monday the plan was for Lehmann to play the semi-final, with Kahn coming back to play either the final or the third-place match.

Hildebrand, the 26-year-old VfB Stuttgart keeper, has played twice for Germany before, in friendly internationals against Romania and Thailand.

"I didn't expect to play in this tournament at all, and that makes it all the more special," said Hildebrand, who is 10 years younger than Kahn and nine years Lehmann's junior.

"It's normal for a goalkeeper to have to wait. You always have to be patient."

Germany and Argentina both have maximum points from their two games so far, leaving Tuesday's game a straight shoot-out for first place in the group.

Mexico have clinched qualification from Group B, with the second place up for grabs between Brazil and Japan.

There's a good interview with him in the latest "World Soccer" magazine. Lot of people, including me, thought of him as just another ex-player figurehead. Truth is he's turned the federation on its ear and been very firm on getting what he wants done, including a full time sports sychologist and the refusal to have Holger Osieck hired as his number two.

Well, to be fair to Holger Osiek, he did, according to press reports from the German football Federation, turn down the offer to work with Klinsmann. Whether that was after Klinsmann told him confidentially he wasn't welcome is a matter for speculation only, and would only be even mentioned by a sick and twisted mind.

New offside rule bamboozles coaches and players at Confed Cup

June 21, 2005

LEIPZIG, Germany (AFP) - Coaches and players have complained that an experimental offside rule being tried out in the Confederations Cup is confusing and hard for referees to enforce.

Under the rule, attacking players who do not receive the ball are not automatically offside even if they are standing beyond the last defender.

Referees have effectively been given more freedom to interpret whether the player is interfering with play or not -- known as passive offside.

Tunisia's veteran French coach Roger Lemerre said on Monday that the rule had only complicated matters and pointed to an incident in his side's 3-0 defeat to Germany to illustrate his point of his view.

"Look at the pictures of a free kick taken by Germany, and you'll see that (Michael) Ballack is in front of the goalkeeper and in an offside position.

"When you know the rule, he is obstructing the goalkeeper's view and for me he is interfering with play."

Lemerre, who guided France to the 2000 European title, made a plea for the new rule to be thrown out before next year's World Cup finals in Germany.

"I feel really sorry for the referees. (The classic offside rule) is the only intelligent rule in football. Let's go back to the simple things.

"If a player is offside, he is offside."

German goalkeeper Oliver Kahn said the experimental rule had allowed so many opponents to stand around his goal in Germany's 4-3 win over Australia that "I thought I was playing indoor football."

"I actually thought that we had abolished passive offside, but this new rule is dubious and only complicates things even more," said the experienced Bayern Munich keeper.

But FIFA President Sepp Blatter insisted the rule would improve football.

"There has never been passive offside and with this rule we'll hopefully never hear that expression again.

"It will just take a little time for everyone to get used to the new rule."

One of the referees officiating at the Confederations Cup, Germany's Herbert Fandel, backed Blatter.

"It means there is more playing time and play is interrupted less," Fandel said.

"We now blow for offside when a player in an offside position actually interferes with the ball."

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

New offside rule bamboozles coaches and players at Confed Cup

June 21, 2005

LEIPZIG, Germany (AFP) - Coaches and players have complained that an experimental offside rule being tried out in the Confederations Cup is confusing and hard for referees to enforce.

Under the rule, attacking players who do not receive the ball are not automatically offside even if they are standing beyond the last defender.

Referees have effectively been given more freedom to interpret whether the player is interfering with play or not -- known as passive offside.

Tunisia's veteran French coach Roger Lemerre said on Monday that the rule had only complicated matters and pointed to an incident in his side's 3-0 defeat to Germany to illustrate his point of his view.

"Look at the pictures of a free kick taken by Germany, and you'll see that (Michael) Ballack is in front of the goalkeeper and in an offside position.

"When you know the rule, he is obstructing the goalkeeper's view and for me he is interfering with play."

Lemerre, who guided France to the 2000 European title, made a plea for the new rule to be thrown out before next year's World Cup finals in Germany.

"I feel really sorry for the referees. (The classic offside rule) is the only intelligent rule in football. Let's go back to the simple things.

"If a player is offside, he is offside."

German goalkeeper Oliver Kahn said the experimental rule had allowed so many opponents to stand around his goal in Germany's 4-3 win over Australia that "I thought I was playing indoor football."

"I actually thought that we had abolished passive offside, but this new rule is dubious and only complicates things even more," said the experienced Bayern Munich keeper.

But FIFA President Sepp Blatter insisted the rule would improve football.

"There has never been passive offside and with this rule we'll hopefully never hear that expression again.

"It will just take a little time for everyone to get used to the new rule."

One of the referees officiating at the Confederations Cup, Germany's Herbert Fandel, backed Blatter.

"It means there is more playing time and play is interrupted less," Fandel said.

"We now blow for offside when a player in an offside position actually interferes with the ball."

I read with interest your posting and quotes re offsides. I must have missed Fifa's revision of the laws as I have not seen or received any. All the situations you quote are currently covered in the present wording of Law 11. But I will search in Fifa's website to see if there is change.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Sportsnet has Australia-Tunisia on the tape delay, on a day when Argentina and Germany are playing.

WTF is wrong with these people? Why should the unemployed have all the good games live?

Great!

I don't get your point. Are you making fun of all the Sportsnet bashers on here? [?]

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I read with interest your posting and quotes re offsides. I must have missed Fifa's revision of the laws as I have not seen or received any. All the situations you quote are currently covered in the present wording of Law 11. But I will search in Fifa's website to see if there is change.

The new wording, passed by the IFAB in February, is not supposed to take effect until July 1 (just in time for the Gold Cup, yeeeh), but it was brought in for the Confederations Cup as an experiment, as it will be in effect for the World Cup, and the Confed is supposed to be a dry run for the WC.

the official FIFA media relaease after IFAB decisions in February:

IFABrul2005

----------------------------------------------------------------

excerpt:

Law 11 - Offside - was also the subject of several proposals, and as a result, by introducing the new International F.A. Board Decision 2 for Law 11, the Board also clarified when a player is to be regarded as "actively involved in play":

" Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team mate.

" Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

" Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a post or crossbar or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.

Moreover, the Board clarified the explanation of a player being offside "if he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent". As a result, the position of any part of the player's head, body or feet will be the deciding factor, and not the player's arms.

----------------------------------------------------------------

me: By saying 'no more "passive" offside', what FIFA has said is that the ridiculous notion of passive offside (which never really existed before then) brought in in 2003 has been strengthened and extended. It means that offside will now only be called in most cases(at least after July 1) where the person off-side actually touches the ball, causing more delay and confusion. It means that a goalkeeper may not know the status of a forward awaiting the pass unless he happens to glance over at the line-man or guesses.

As was stated often in this thread by many before before, off-side should be off-side. This active/passive differentiation is nonsense IMHO.

Very entertaining game today between Germany and Argentina, which ended 2-2. Each team rested some stars, but even their subs are excellent. Riquelme was a standout for Argentina. The Argentien attack wa sgreat, - great dribbles and short passes to break through the German defences.

Germany played very good, with much improved and attractive offence than previous teams.

Yeah it was a darn good match.

Does anybody remember a point in the last half, where a GK, think it was Lux was upset at the opposing offensive player being in a traditionally offside position (whatever that means now), and the ref just wave his hands to say "none of your business"?

Glad you hi tech geeks got to enjoy it.grumble, grumble.

Hey can one of yew book learnered fellers tell me is the clock on the VCR sposed to flash 12:00?

Shucks, I sprained my elby bone, now it don't bend like it sposed to.

Archived