Martin Nash should get called up

CanadasBest

I was in Vancouver and saw the Caps play Portland last night. Nash looks like he's in the best shape that I have seen him. He played really good! Moved the ball around all over the midfield, and scored a nice goal. I'm baffled that arguably the best midfielder we've had in the Canada program in the last 10 years has played so few games.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I was in Vancouver and saw the Caps play Portland last night. Nash looks like he's in the best shape that I have seen him. He played really good! Moved the ball around all over the midfield, and scored a nice goal. I'm baffled that arguably the best midfielder we've had in the Canada program in the last 10 years has played so few games.

That's good news.

Saw him play from the stands last year for the 'Caps a few times last year, and he sure wasn't any good on those occasions. I forget, didn't he play indoor soccer in the US the year before, I seem to remember some posts about him going to hell because of it? Hopefully he pulls some consistency together and works his way back on the national team. If he starts to get back together then he could contribute to the next WCQ because he's only 29. Yallop did try him out in the January 2004 Florida camp and Barbados friendly, so we can't say he hasn't been given a chance. On a superficial level, only 2 goals (against Bermuda) in 30 caps for an attacking mid-fielder is hardly impressive. I remember that great free-kick in Wolfsburg with which McKenna scored against Germany though, he did have a lot of spunk on that day.

Ed likes him because he has better hirsute sense than his bro:D.

He's had great moments for us, (the cross to Corazzin vs Mexico in the 2000 GC being a bit higher profile for me than the fk in Germany), but you'd have to be a complete homer to call him our best midfielder of the last 10 years. Unfortunately, at the international level, his lack of pace has always been an issue.

Yes Nash played well, he scored a nice goal and he made nice passes playing as an attacking midfielder. Yesterday he was the only real attacking midfielder, coming from the left side into the middle regularly and with Clark and Klein behind him. Even Valente, who was the left side midfielder, played a bit more defensively than Nash.

The good news for the Caps is that he is more fit than last year.

But he's not MNT calibre, as shown on his horrible free kick from 20 yards yesterday when he missed the goal by 5 yards, and the shot was not very hard.

I agree with Analyst. Nash's time as a national team player have passed him by. He is not all that quick on the ball or off it for that matter. While I do agree that his passing could be an asset the rest of his game is not up to par.

Lets not get carried away by one goal.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I agree with Analyst. Nash's time as a national team player have passed him by. He is not all that quick on the ball or off it for that matter. While I do agree that his passing could be an asset the rest of his game is not up to par.

Lets not get carried away by one goal.

I thought the best midfielder we ever had was Geoff Aunger!!!

Ohhhhhh, don't dis ma boy Martin. I always liked his style and maybe his role should be more of a holding mid-fielder as he has good ball distribution. I always thought it was politics of some kind that kept him from playing higher than Macclesfield in England.

But I must admit maybe his time has passed. But I thought he was one of our better players in GC 2003. Hopefully it's a youth movement that has kept him out this time. But a vet on the bench like him wouldn't hurt.

How did the Impact lose him anyway? Indoor soccer is that like a game ;) I thought he only played for Dallas so he could spend the winter with brother Steve and get paid for it.

Nash is not National Team quality, I think even Carlo Corazzin could beat Nash in a race. He's got no speed or pace.

We must of been desperate back at those gold cup's because all the stars of that team have gone down hill fast.

STARS OF GOLD CUP WINNING TEAM

Carlo Corazzin - looks like fat albert now

Davide Xausa - has played 90 minutes all year for the whitecaps, currently enrolled in school to better himself.

Jeff Clarke - career a-league player

Martin Nash - played indoor soccer last year

Jason Bent- who? I am still waiting for him to show up on America's Most Wanted

Ah yes good old Marty..... Great one Game.....then takes two off. Saw it happen with the Montreal Impact. I would go as far as saying that his inconsistancy denied him a spot on a european team.

Goind back to the Gold cup championship, i have to agree that he was awsome. Great on set plays.....when he feels like other wise., hs just ordinary.

As far as Jason Bent is concerned, my biggest fear is that he replaces the dead guy on Milli Vanilli.....:D Girl you know its true.........

Archived