May 15 - Toronto vs. Montreal [R]

DJT

Toronto Lynx (0-2-4) vs. Montreal Impact (2-2-0)

Kickoff at 4:00 PM EDT. 2005 home opener for the Lynx.

Television:

Rogers Television Toronto (live)

Radio/Audio Webcasts:

English - CJAD 800 AM Montreal

French - CKAC 730 AM Montreal

Impact preview:

THE IMPACT PLAY THE LYNX

IN TORONTO SUNDAY

TORONTO, May 14, 2005 - The Montreal Impact (2-0-2) plays their fifth of a six-game road swing, Sunday, against the Toronto Lynx (0-4-2). The game will be played at 4:00 pm (CJAD 800, CKAC 730) at the Centennial Stadium in Toronto.

CONTEXT

>The Impact is undefeated in four games this season, with a record of 2-0-2.

>Last weekend in back-to-back games, the Impact earned four points out of a possible six.

>Eduardo Sebrango scored off a header at the 54th minute to lift the Impact to a 1-0 win over the Virginia Beach Mariners last Saturday, redirecting a cross from Patrick Leduc. The next day, the Impact played to a 0-0 draw in Richmond against the Kickers. Goalkeeper Greg Sutton earned his third shutout of the season, and has allowed only one goal in four games.

>The Impact will play its 12th home opener May 29th at 4 pm, against the Rochester Raging Rhinos at the Claude- Robillard Sports Complex.

IMPACT VS LYNX

> Since 1993, the Impact has a lifetime record of 21-12-3 against Toronto.

>In 2004, the Impact collected seven points in three games against the Lynx (2-0-1). On May 28th, the Impact scored a 4-1 victory at Claude-Robillard Sports Complex. Montreal clinched another win the following night, at Centennial Stadium in Toronto, beating the Lynx 2-0. On June 20th, in Montreal, both teams played to a 1-1 draw.

>Many of the players and coaches involved in Sunday’s match-up are familiar with each other. Defender Mauricio Vincello was a member of the Lynx from 2000-2003. Last year, he scored two goals against his former club. Impact assistant coach Peter Pinizzotto was head coach of the Toronto Lynx and Lloyd Barker played in Toronto in 1999 and 2000.

>Former members of the Impact playing in Toronto include Andres Arango, who was traded for Vincello, veteran defender Carl Fletcher as well as Quebec native Ali Ngon-Gerba and Josue Mayard. The Lynx head coach Hubert “Junior” Busby had a brief stint as a player with the Impact in 1996.

>Lynx striker Winston Griffiths is suspended and will not dress for the game after receiving an unsportsmanlike misconduct against the Atlanta Silverbacks on May 7th. Griffiths and Impact newcomer Kevin Wilson were team mates with the Jamaican club Arnett Gardens FC during the winter season.

PLAYER NOTES

>The Impact roster increased to 24 with the signing of third goalkeeper Gerry Argento on Tuesday.

>Goalkeeper Greg Sutton continues where he left off last season and already has three shutouts in four games, tying him with the Vancouver Whitecaps’ Michael Franks for tops in the league.

COMMENTS

>Head coach Nick DeSantis: “It won’t be an easy game because the Lynx are always motivated to play against us, especially since it will be their home opener. Also, their field is small, and that will complicate things for us. Even though they haven’t had a good start to the season, we need to do everything right to earn the three points. Despite their record, they are a dangerous team because of their speed. We’ve had a good week of rest since our last game in Richmond, and are ready for this match.”

>Defender Mauricio Vincello (played three seasons with the Lynx): “I am going to look at this game as any other, but it is always special to play against your former team. My main role is to help the team defensively. It’s a bonus if I could help the team by scoring a few goals during the season. If we want to win, we’ll have to show the same intensity we have since the beginning of the season.”

-30-

Source: Patrick Vallée

Info: 514-328-3668 (ext. 27)

Result of the USL game of Sunday May 15, 2005 between Toronto Lynx and Montreal Impact played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 4:00pm.

49 min...Impact Kevin Wilson GOAL...Impact Mauro Biello crosses from left edge of box from 15 yards after run and Wilson charges into center of box and heads ball into open net from 2 yards. Lynx goalie Theo Zagar had come out against Biello to cut down his angle.

91 min...Lynx RED card...Josue Mayard earns his second Yellow card within four minutes for an almost identical sliding tackle as what he'd just done earlier. Referee Dominic Rossetto ran over to send him off. The Impact's Pat Leduc had injured Mayard at the 74 minute mark but got away with it.

92 min...game ends.

Final Score:.............Toronto Lynx...........0............Montreal Impact...........1..........

Attendance was announced as 3553 which seemed far higher count than the spectators actually there. The stands were not quite full. It was a good crowd in that there was a threat of rain all day and 15 minutes after the game ended, the rain did finally get started.

Impact goalie Greg Sutton earned the shutout. He had to make some good saves including a point-blank block on Ali Gerba's shot at 9 minutes after a defensive miscue. Gerba also had a nice freekick at 77 minutes that bent just wide of the top corner from 25 yards. Lynx sub Urbain Some came in at 55 minutes and took most of the corners and freekicks from that point. His throw-ins were dangerous too. He's filling in for some of the injured and suspended players but it would certainly be worth thinking about keeping him around.

The Lynx lose their home opener and this marked the 1/4 mark of their season. They are all alone in last place and have played more games than any other team so could be dug deeper by the time of their next USL game on Saturday May 28th at 7:30pm. The defending champion Montreal Impact sure didn't dominate the game. Over the years the Lynx usually play them tougher than the teams usually finish far apart in the standings. The Lynx can hope that their next opponents Puerto Rico Islanders have about five players held back at the Canadian border like last year to make it easier for them get their first win.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

The Lynx just didn't appear "DDDangerous". Maybe not even the calibre of "Sexy Pouty Face".

How about their offence was like that halftime band Preconfused?

Oh well there's always the next game. I'm exhausted. I'm off to make a supermodel sandwich (DDDangerous) and relax with some Kit Kat.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Attendance was announced as 3553 which seemed far higher count than the spectators actually there. The stands were not quite full. It was a good crowd in that there was a threat of rain all day and 15 minutes after the game ended, the rain did finally get started.

Not to belabor a point but, with apologies, 3553 in a not quite full stand that sits 2200 means approximately 2000 fans on benches.

That makes for an exaggeration factor of 56.3%. It had to be said.

db

My god that was a horrible display all around. Its difficult to know which group of people put on the worst display - the officials, the Lynx, the cheerleaders or the half-time teenage crap wannabe-punk band that sang about girls having pillow fights. No I'm not joking. I think the lattter probably won the worst performance award.

The Lynx don't even look like they are coached this year. They look completely disorganized and showed no creativity in the midfield, nor cohesion or vision. Talented strikers up front with Ali & Conrad Smith, but service was poor. Montreal also looked like crap, all things considered, and didn't challenge Toronto's defense all that much, but they were on the road & got the goal they needed, so what do they care.

A horrible game to watch (not just a bad result, but an incredibly sloppy game with few passes completed by either team) in traditionally un-professional conditions. The stadium PA system was so poor that the anthem was most of the way through before the crowd even realized it was being played. Every year you can't imagine the product getting any worse, and yet every year it does, with the teenage crap wannabe grunge-pop-punk band managine to be worse than any other.

I'm so glad that we have this instead of the MLS. Just over the moon. I mean, who needs professional soccer anyway when we've got this? Bruno be praised!

But all is not lost. Wyn Belotte ate dinner with the Lynx players (who at least gave it a good effort, if the end result is somewhat lacking - by beef isn't with them) after the game. He's apparently on trial. Perhaps if he can't be the saviour for Canadian soccer that we once hoped he would be, he can be the saviour for the Lynx.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

My god that was a horrible display all around. Its difficult to know which group of people put on the worst display - the officials, the Lynx, the cheerleaders or the half-time teenage crap wannabe-punk band that sang about girls having pillow fights. No I'm not joking. I think the lattter probably won the worst performance award.

You mean it didn't remind you of Summertime?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The Lynx don't even look like they are coached this year. They look completely disorganized and showed no creativity in the midfield, nor cohesion or vision. Talented strikers up front with Ali & Conrad Smith, but service was poor. Montreal also looked like crap, all things considered, and didn't challenge Toronto's defense all that much, but they were on the road & got the goal they needed, so what do they care.

A horrible game to watch (not just a bad result, but an incredibly sloppy game with few passes completed by either team) in traditionally un-professional conditions. The stadium PA system was so poor that the anthem was most of the way through before the crowd even realized it was being played. Every year you can't imagine the product getting any worse, and yet every year it does, with the teenage crap wannabe grunge-pop-punk band managine to be worse than any other.

I'm so glad that we have this instead of the MLS. Just over the moon. I mean, who needs professional soccer anyway when we've got this? Bruno be praised!

But all is not lost. Wyn Belotte ate dinner with the Lynx players (who at least gave it a good effort, if the end result is somewhat lacking - by beef isn't with them) after the game. He's apparently on trial. Perhaps if he can't be the saviour for Canadian soccer that we once hoped he would be, he can be the saviour for the Lynx.

You beat me to my rant. So I will just say ditto. That was an all around joke. The refs were a complete joke. "Cheerleaders", is it not illegal to look at girls that young? And what the hell was that at half-time.

As for fans, if the stands fit 2 200, it was easily under 2 000. Although my ticket said something like 3 600 so maybe they count the tickets they, uh, "sold". Or maybe they counted the people who saw the girls game and the guys game twice?

The clowns from Montreal were funny. "Where's your stadium Toronto" that was good. However, it's Zed, not Zee, ZED. And when you say stuff in French, nobody understands. [:P]

I know the Lynx will never see one fan again. No not me, I mean the little dork who I had to drag down there.

Maybe I'm just grasping for a positive, but Centenial is a nice little park. Although Hamilton-Centennial was the same time as Centenial-Mid-town which is really not good.

Yeah, that band was pretty bad. I liked that the PA wasn't loud, it made my megaphone attacks towards Titus hearable :P. The stadium is nice, just tiny and in the middle of nowhere.

Who said Zee?

Favourite chants: "Go back to Toronto" and "Beyoncé" for the bleached black player.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Who said Zee?

When you people were serenading (is that a word?) Theo. [:P]

As for Centennial, imagine 3 000 people dressed in black and yellow, with a huge Lynx flag, and drums, and signing the whole game and....but then where would all the children go?

Seriously, who here when they were 8 years old, sat through 2 hours of anything? Nevermind a soccer game they couldn't care less about and were only there cause they were "forced" to be there.

The Rock on Saturday were sold out with almost 20 000 people, they were all 20 and 30-somethings, it was loud the whole game, from that article that was posted, they actually spend money at the games. Is it really that complicated?

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I think the best from the Toronto side were "Pillow Fight" and the general chant about the referee and the whereabouts of his father (I've never heard that one before).

I was expecting Centennial to have a larger stand than the one that they had, but I thought it was a quaint little ground that has been well kept. It had some character.

Not very impressed with yesterday's game either. Neither team looked very good at all, nor were there many scoring chances created. Just a lot of meaningless passes upfield that were either easily intercepted or sent out of play.

I did notice one positive, however. There was no loud music blaring over the loud speakers during play. I don't know if that was a deliberate decision on the part of Lynx management or if the cassette player needed repairs, but it was a nice change from past games.

I just couldn't believe it when a few of the Montreal Ultras (none of the guys who post here) tried to beat up Spiderman! Good thing Spiderman used his Spidey sense and won the day!

"Beyonce" as a chant wasn't bad, though on the Toronto side of things we went with "Carlos Valderama".

After the game we found one of our vehicules painted with mustard and ketchup. It was everywhere, windows, handles. We had to stay in Toronto a lot longer than we wanted because we needed to clean the mini-van before all that stuff dry.

Not a nice way to say goodbye.....

At least there was nothing serious that we couldn't fix ourselves like a broken window or a scratch on the van.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

The clowns from Montreal were funny. "Where's your stadium Toronto" that was good.

We had another one that we did'nt use on the air of We are the champions.

We'll have a stadium my friend,

And we'll keep on going to the games,

We'll have a stadium,

We'll have a stadium,

No time for losers,

Cause We'll have a stadium,

For the Worlds.

Overall a good result for Montreal, but an ordinary game all around especially the first half.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

We'll have a stadium my friend,

And we'll keep on going to the games,

We'll have a stadium,

We'll have a stadium,

No time for losers,

Cause We'll have a stadium,

For the Worlds.

Now THAT is comedy. Brilliant!

quote:

At least there was nothing serious that we couldn't fix ourselves like a broken window or a scratch on the van.

quote:

That would have been just plain dumb, if anyone did that. It would be a thuggish, very uncivilized way to go about things. As for the ketchup/mustard, I'm still trying to ask around and find out who did it.

Archived