May 15 - Toronto vs. Montreal [R]

DJT

yeah I was the guy who ran down the step in defence, I was actually looking, well not looking excpecting , a fight heheh but I guess you guys have class as well :) we just shook hands and were on our way, although I should have came down sooner and defender our banner but yeah you guys got ya pic [8)]and I guess we got our ketchup/mustard thing[8D]althout I still dont know who it was or even if it was any of the U-sector nobody has said n e thing and I think if it was n e of us they would have just to look kool :) hahahah

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm pissed I screwed up my focus on that picture, though.

As for the Spidey incident. Jeff (who shoved him) was caught off-guard and thought it was spray-paint. He apologizes for the reaction.

No worries. It was kind of funny in hindsight. ;)

By MIKE KOREEN, TORONTO SUN

DIFFERENT VENUE, same old result.

After starting the United Soccer League First Division season with six winless games on the road, the Lynx returned home to Etobicoke Centennial Stadium only to see its struggles continue.

The Lynx (0-5-2) lost 1-0 to the defending-champion Montreal Impact in a snoozer before 3,553 yesterday, extending its worst start in the nine-year history of the franchise.

"It's frustrating," first-year Lynx coach Hubert Busby Jr. said. "Good teams do the little things right all the time."

The Lynx, of course, do not.

The Impact got all the offence it would need in the 50th minute. After Lynx goalie Theo Zagar made a jumping save on Mauro Biello, the ball floated in front of the net and was headed home by Kevin Wilson.

"It's too early to give up," Lynx co-owner Bruno Hartrell said, denying Busby's job was in jeopardy. "If we can't win with the bunch we've got, we'll make changes at the player level."

The Lynx, missing four starters to injury, rarely put together a string of good passes yesterday and showed little to no touch on its few scoring opportunities. Its best chance came on a free kick from just outside the penalty box in the 89th minute, but recent callup Urbain Some fired it way high.

"When I (kicked) the ball, I was very sure I was going to put it in," said Some, who was born in Burkina Faso, a poor country in West Africa. "Maybe it was (a lack of) concentration. For a free kick, I'm (usually) very good. Next time, I'm going to correct it. I came here to give more to the team and I didn't do that. I'm not happy. Next time, I'm going to give 200%."

The Lynx, last in the USL's top 12-team division, plays host to the Puerto Rico Islanders May 28.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

49 min...Impact Kevin Wilson GOAL...Impact Mauro Biello crosses from left edge of box from 15 yards after run and Wilson charges into center of box and heads ball into open net from 2 yards. Lynx goalie Theo Zagar had come out against Biello to cut down his angle.

Actually, that wasn't a cross by Biello, it was a shot on which Zagar made a decent save with his out-stretched hand, but he couldn't get enough of it to punch it away and it floated to the other side of the net where Wilson came streaming in for the header into the open net.

It'll go down as another loss, but I thought Toronto were unfortunate not to get at least a draw. They did at least as well as Montreal overall and had more chances (not created elegantly, but chances nonetheless). Montreal really didn't have more than a couple of half-chances and their goal was somewhat fortunate.

quote:Lynx sub Urbain Some came in at 55 minutes and took most of the corners and freekicks from that point. His throw-ins were dangerous too. He's filling in for some of the injured and suspended players but it would certainly be worth thinking about keeping him around.
I thought his name seemed familiar. He's a former Ottawa Wizard from Burkina Faso.

quote:By MIKE KOREEN, TORONTO SUN

Its best chance came on a free kick from just outside the penalty box in the 89th minute, but recent callup Urbain Some fired it way high.

That wasn't the best chance. Gerba's in the 9th minute that Robin mentioned was the best. But good on Koreen for following-up on the game.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

By MIKE KOREEN, TORONTO SUN

"It's too early to give up," Lynx co-owner Bruno Hartrell said,

Yes, maybe another game or two and then we can give up. Good that they are thinking about the possibility so early on.

Yep. I called the set up for that goal wrong. I saw it later on CFTO sportsnews. To make it exciting (sportscasts want goals!), they showed the OT goals of the Lady Lynx game.

Since RogersCable is part of Sportsnet, expect to see the goal again on Soccer Central which will play on both Wednesday and Saturday.

Archived