New Montréal stadium officially announced

Daniel

R-C has reported that the Impact will unveil plans for a 10k+ stadium on the Tecnoparc site (near the ex-Autostade) this Wednesday. It is also reporting that the 2007 cities are Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and... Calgary??? Yep.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

R-C has reported that the Impact will unveil plans for a 10k+ stadium on the Tecnoparc site (near the ex-Autostade) this Wednesday. It is also reporting that the 2007 cities are Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and... Calgary??? Yep.

near the ex-autostade?

I seem to recall that area as very unattractive and run down. Maybe I am wrong or things have changed, but my recollection of where the autstade was remindes me of a type of rust belt area, full of old factories and closed down industrial buildings.

I wonder why they didn't look at places like the Park extention areas. Or even the site of hippodrome/blue bonnets up on Decarie.

There are several other decent park areas that would also have been good.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

near the ex-autostade?

I seem to recall that area as very unattractive and run down. Maybe I am wrong or things have changed, but my recollection of where the autstade was remindes me of a type of rust belt area, full of old factories and closed down industrial buildings.

I wonder why they didn't look at places like the Park extention areas. Or even the site of hippodrome/blue bonnets up on Decarie.

There are several other decent park areas that would also have been good.

A 10 thousand seat stadium specific to soccer will be a great upgrade to our current situation at Complexe Claude Robillard. I am guessing the stadium have will space for adding temporary seats for the u-20 world cup.

1 no track

2 the city no longer holds all the cards

3 seats a couple meters from the field

I can't wait to see what it will look like!

I heard on the Team 990 tonight that the stadium would most likely have between 17,000 and 20,000 seats.....that would be perfect for a national rugby and soccer venue....and an MLS team.

i hope that in a couple of years canada goes from no SSS to two 20 000 seat venues with real grass.

From the morning papers, we're looking at a SSS with grass, capacity ranging from 13,000 to 17,000 with up to 4 extra soccer fields adjacent to the main stadium with possibly one covered to use year round and use as the team's training facility. Team offices would be there with possibly a restaurant, bar...

quote:Originally posted by François

From the morning papers, we're looking at a SSS with grass, capacity ranging from 13,000 to 17,000 with up to 4 extra soccer fields adjacent to the main stadium with possibly one covered to use year round and use as the team's training facility. Team offices would be there with possibly a restaurant, bar...

Might as well be in Laval. Terrible location. The Autostade failed and one of the biggest complaints was the wind coming off the river and the Autostade sat 30K. Maybe Hydro could put up one of those big new Windmill power generators up.

And if it has a track what's the point?

And at 10K- what's the point? This is a team that over the last 10 years has average around 4K a game.

I still hope that the U-20WC games are held in a stadium with enuough seating. 10K isn't enough, especially if it's a Spain/Italy semi final.

Hint- a 60,000 seater that already been built and paid for.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

I still hope that the U-20WC games are held in a stadium with enuough seating. 10K isn't enough, especially if it's a Spain/Italy semi final.

Hint- a 60,000 seater that already been built and paid for.

10K isn't enough? Or even 15 to 17k like the report says? Then you'd better have a look at the stadia for the upcoming U-20 WC in Holland.

quote:Originally posted by François

If it happens (sorry if I sound a little gun-shy re: stadiums but I'm from Toronto) that's awesome!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

If it happens (sorry if I sound a little gun-shy re: stadiums but I'm from Toronto) that's awesome!

There is a big difference with the Toronto Stadium. This one will be payed by the owner of the team and the city of Montreal. No CFL team involved here, no one to screw the whole thing up. Unless they find a weird bacteria in Saputo cheese and joey saputo loses all his money...:D

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

10K isn't enough? Or even 15 to 17k like the report says? Then you'd better have a look at the stadia for the upcoming U-20 WC in Holland.

Then I guess it's not the second biggest soccer event put on FIFA then. Considering the U-19 Women's World Cup drew bigger crowds than 10k.

I guess it's not the event it's cracked up to be.

CSA SALUTES CONSTRUCTION OF A SOCCER STADIUM IN MONTREAL

New Stadium To Be Ready For 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship

Ottawa, Ontario - The Canadian Soccer Association reacted with great

enthusiasm and expressed their delight with the news out of Montreal

today that the Saputo family will build a privately-funded 13,500-seat

soccer specific stadium in Montreal. The new facility will be used as one

of the host sites for the FIFA World Youth Championship Canada 2007. The

stadium will also be the future home of the defending A-League champion

Montreal Impact who now play in the USL First Division.

"On behalf of the Canadian Soccer Association, I would like to salute

the Saputo family on the construction of a new soccer stadium in the

City of Montreal," said CSA President Andy Sharpe. "The importance of

improving and adding to the soccer facilities across Canada is essential to

encourage and maintain the growth of our sport in our country and I

commend the Impact and their partners for this initiative."

I look forward to the day when we can see international games being

played at this new facility. The legacy of the FIFA World Youth

Championship 2007 has already begun with the construction of this stadium and we

hope to see more facilities being built in the near future. This is a

wonderful development for soccer in Montreal, Quebec and Canada."

THE MONTREAL IMPACT WILL PLAY IN A NEW STADIUM

The Saputo Stadium will be the new home of the Montreal Impact

MONTRÉAL – Wednesday, May 4, 2005 – The Montreal Impact will have a new home.

The Saputo Stadium, a 13,500-seat stadium, will open its doors in the actual Technoparc and will be part of a larger sport complex designed specifically for soccer: the Complexe Place du Public.

The news was confirmed at a press conference, Wednesday, by Montreal Impact president, Joey Saputo, the mayor of Montreal, Gérald Tremblay, the mayor of the Burrough of Sud-Ouest, Jacqueline Montpetit, and Mr. Lino Saputo.

“The Impact’s primary mission has always been to develop soccer in Quebec. But to continue to progress, we had to innovate for the future, ” said Montreal Impact president, Joey Saputo. “With a lack of fields on the territory, the need for high-level installations on the island of Montreal and a Claude-Robillard Stadium that was getting smaller and smaller, we had to find an innovative solution to accommodate the sport in order to ensure its development.”

Located north of the Bonaventure autoroute and south of the downtown area, the Complexe Place du Public will have an overall surface area of 1.6 million square feet and will be entirely financed by private funds to the cost of 15 million dollars. The Saputo family announced they will donate

7.5 million dollars in the project.

“I’m extremely proud of the Complexe Place du Public, declared Mr. Lino Saputo. “For my family and me this project is an ideal opportunity to give something back to the community that has supported us so outstandingly since the founding of our company in 1954. I’m already enjoying the prospect of soccer players, young ones as well as older ones, practicing their favourite sport in these high-level facilities.”

The new complex will have three soccer fields that will be available for regional soccer clubs and associations. The stadium, which could be expanded to 17,000 seats, could also host regional, provincial, national or international soccer competitions.

The Complexe Place du Public will be managed by a non-profit organization whose mission will be to promote the development of soccer by offering high-level installations to the citizens of the Greater Montreal region.

The Impact won the First Division United Soccer Leagues last season in front of a crowd of 13,648 spectators at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex. The Impact finished the 2004 season with an average of 9,279 fans per game, a team record which eclipsed the previous mark of 7,236 spectators per game set in 2003.

Archived