New Montréal stadium officially announced

Daniel

A new soccer stadium in the city

THE CITY SUPPORTS MONTREAL IMPACT’S INITIATIVE

Montréal, May 4, 2005 – Mr. Gérald Tremblay, Mayor of Montréal, joined the president of the Montréal Impact, Mr. Joey Saputo, the mayor of the Sud-Ouest borough, Ms. Jacqueline Montpetit, and Mr. Lino Saputo during the unveiling of the proposed soccer stadium to be built on the site of the Montréal Technoparc (formerly Adacport) in the Sud-Ouest borough. An initiative by the Montréal Impact soccer club, the new stadium will include 13,500-spectator seating and three soccer fields, one of which will eventually have a roof.

“This is an excellent opportunity for all soccer fans because agreements will allow for associations, soccer clubs and citizens to access the facilities. The arrival of such a large sporting venue will benefit the development of the sport, which has experienced a popularity surge in recent years. Today, our administration is sending a clear message: Montréal is a city that values sports, enjoys a positive international reputation, and is home to major teams that all Montrealers can be proud of. We will do everything in our power to support these teams,” declared Mr. Tremblay.

“The Montréal Impact’s success on the field reflects our support. On the matter of support, I would like to applaud the Saputo family’s contribution towards this project and commend their remarkable determination and passion when it comes to soccer and its development,” added Mayor Tremblay.

Mr. Michel Prescott, Vice-chairman of the Executive Committee responsible for sports and recreation for the City of Montréal said: “In Montréal we are lucky to have a soccer team of such high calibre. In addition to significant benefits for the city and Montréal’s heightened profile throughout North America, a professional team that attains such a high level of performance has a strong bearing on young people as well as the entire population in promoting and developing soccer. These new facilities will enhance what we can offer in terms of sports and leisure to the city, the country and also the world.

”The City of Montréal has supported its professional soccer team since 1993. The current agreement between the two parties will remain in effect until 2006 and includes, among other things, the team’s participation in several educational and community activities related to soccer in Montréal such as establishing soccer schools or youth camps.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

there is no way that costs 15 million.....

All you see in the pic is the facade of the main entrance. It would be impossible to gauge the cost of a building on one picture alone. However, $15 million is quite minimal for such a project. I would assume that amenites are at a premium in this place. You will pee into a trough (no urinals for sure).

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

there is no way that costs 15 million.....

All you see in the pic is the facade of the main entrance. It would be impossible to gauge the cost of a building on one picture alone. However, $15 million is quite minimal for such a project. I would assume that amenites are at a premium in this place. You will pee into a trough (no urinals for sure).

yeah, but winnipeg's baseball stadium was built in 2 phases 5 years ago and it cost 18 million....it only seats 7000 and is pretty bare bones as well. it also does not have the other fields that this one does.

this is a great thing, but there is no way that you can build a 14000 seat stadium for that cost. construction costs have gone up 30 percent since the winnipeg park was built...today it would be 22 million and it is half the size.

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

Paving and lighting the parking alone would be in the hundreds of thousands, considering public transport to the site will be by bus. You'd need at least 7000 parking spots.

Add four feilds. If they're feild turf thats about 1 million a feild.

Maybe it'll be made from old pieces of the Autostade that have been left there forgotten.

can't wait.

Well, I really hope this works. Honestly I do, but let's see, i hope the May wasps don't stick around to long cause that will be disappointing. Now, from what I understand, there is no subway that will get you to the proposed stadium directly, you'd have to take a bus, or just drive there directly, that is, if you have a car. Hopefully the impact won't become the next maic, or even supra.

But i have to tip my hat off to the Saputo family for patiently staying with the team for this long and for building this soccer complexe for the impact.

Ummm, I wonder if when we are in the stands and look around, if any one of us will think to ourselves..." man, a downtown stadium would have been really cool for the expos"...

Trolls get out!

Some details:

- The field is not FIFA-dimensions, which is odd.

- The practice fields are slated to only be 45m wide :o!

- There will be a shuttle service from the metro and there's supposed to be a mass revitalization of the sector, which would mean a more regular bus route.

- The temptative opening is August 2006.

- Only the main stand is expected to be covered.

I believe Telus field cost $10M about a decade ago. If there's only one side of office and fronting like that, $15M isn't absurd. The seating will be awfully cheap, though. To expand clarke stadium in Edmonton to 5,500 permanently I believe the figure was something like 2.3M. If you pro-rate it, and built a basic bowl or bleacher-style surrounding you could do it.

Looking at Telus Field:

- There will probably be a limited amount of individual seats at SS.

- The land is FREE for 25 years, which means that whatever that might cost isn't in the prjected costs.

- The complex will not be taxed because it will be non-profit.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

How can they have a non-FIFA sized field if they are planning to host a major FIFA tournament?

I'm guessing that's probably a mistake or oversight. CCR's dimensions are 100m x 67.5m.

Maybe it's a space problem? But with that lawn and concourse, I doubt it.

quote:Originally posted by Jeremy Loome

I believe Telus field cost $10M about a decade ago. If there's only one side of office and fronting like that, $15M isn't absurd. The seating will be awfully cheap, though. To expand clarke stadium in Edmonton to 5,500 permanently I believe the figure was something like 2.3M. If you pro-rate it, and built a basic bowl or bleacher-style surrounding you could do it.

Funny you mention the likely cost to epand Clarke when the city is looking to spend at least $3 Million to put FieldTurf into Clarke for the Esks.

"temptative"

That's my new favorite word.:D

Montreal being the most European of Canadian cities will now be the Canadian center of the most European of sports. Without a drop of government money being spent...apparently.

When's the temptative date for an MLS franchise?

Vive le nouveau Franglais!

Archived