Vancouver unveils 2010 logo

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

vancouver2010_logo_120x148.gif

What d'y'all think?

Wow! How cool of Vancouver-Whistler to give up the games in favour of Nunavut! :D

WHAT THE $#!$#$%#)*(#^@ does an inookshuk have to do with southern British Columbia!!!!!!!!!

If I was Inuit I'd be insulted. As a proud British Columbain I am just disappointed.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The IOC requires that any Olympic logo be representative of the entire country, not just the region where the games are being held so the IOC would have rejected anything too specifically linked to southern BC.

Well, Turin 2006's logo is that city's cathedral, isn't it?

I thought it was bad. It actually makes me think of Spain for some reason. Just the colour swatches I guess. To me the amazing technicolour inookshuk smacks of being a little pandering.

Today Ed Willes said this in the Vancouver Province: To most people that thing looks like something they'd stick on the fridge if their five-year-old brought it home. But to VANOC and the IOC it represents, minimally, the apogee of human achievement.

In no particular order, Ilanaaq symbolizes the soul of Canada, the spirit of international friendship, the maple leaf, B.C.'s forest industry, the oceans, the glaciers and, my personal favourite, the alpine glow of sunrises and sunsets.

You have to admit, that's quite a logo. But, mostly, it represents an organization that is completely in love with itself.

I couldn't have put it better.

Some BC native leaders don't like the logo and feel slighted. They also noted that it looks like Pac-Man.

cheers,

matthew

quote:The IOC requires that any Olympic logo be representative of the entire country, not just the region where the games are being held so the IOC would have rejected anything too specifically linked to southern BC.
That would be a change. Usually "the IOC requires that" ... is followed by the equivalent of "local taxpayers empty out their pockets."

On the other hand, how can you not love a child-like, multi-colored logo that requires a paragraph long footnote to explain what it stands for?

why does every sporting event in british columbia pander to the aboriginal community? why not the asian community for once? why not the indo community for a change? here's a shocking suggestion, why not the caucasian demographic? or why not just do something directly related to the climate or geographical uniqueness of b.c.?

this logo is horrid. michelin man.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

why does every sporting event in british columbia pander to the aboriginal community?

Because it sells to the tourists. You can find Asian, East Indian or Caucasian transplants and culture in any number of other places in the world but not Canadian/BC aboriginal. It's all about what sells and differentiating yourself from the competition.

quote:Originally posted by JayWayW.P Kinsella strikes again!

This is a little over my head, but I remember being part of a funny — and heated — conversation with WP Kinsella about appropriation of voice as an author. I hadn't read the novel that produced the question, so if this was a big controversy I'm curious.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. good call on the logo's Michellin Man qualities.

Pretty much, yeah.

I think the work in question is The Queen's Hat, but I'm pretty sure he's done more stuff that centre around the point of view of the Native community.

The concern is, I think, that while an author is certainly justified in exploring different points of view and different types of characters, from an economic point of view, should an English-Canadian author really be crowding out opportunity for the Native community to express themselves through literature? In other words, there's enough out there for someone like Kinsella to explore as an author - leave the Native stories to the Natives.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

One would think if Vancouver wanted to choose a native symbol for their games that something along the lines of a totem pole or other symbolic wood carving would be chosen. I guess the inuit symbol is a bit more wintery but I would think they could have come up with a really great and somewhat more complex symbol from a totem pole. The panel may not have been comprised of people from Vancouver so maybe this is why it has no relation to the city. I am not sure who the other members were but the Greek woman who designed the logo for their games was on the panel.

Archived