Vancouver unveils 2010 logo

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

One would think if Vancouver wanted to choose a native symbol for their games that something along the lines of a totem pole or other symbolic wood carving would be chosen. I guess the inuit symbol is a bit more wintery but I would think they could have come up with a really great and somewhat more complex symbol from a totem pole. The panel may not have been comprised of people from Vancouver so maybe this is why it has no relation to the city. I am not sure who the other members were but the Greek woman who designed the logo for their games was on the panel.

Yup, something more along the Haida lines would have been appropriate if they wanted to go with the aboriginal theme. Although, I remember when the Canucks changed to the constipated free willy logo, it drew flak from the Native community for not being designed by one of their artists.

I would have preferred something that symbolized the meeting of cultures that occurs in Vancouver.

Truly a horrible logo.

I like the logo. its creative yet elaborate and symbolic. yes there is an aboriginal theme behind it and there is nothing wrong with that. But I also think it tells something about canada when we see that everytime we have an opportunity to showcase ourselves to world, we always suround ourselves in these aboriginal themes. Yet, when you look around, many aboriginals in this country live in conditions comparable to the third world. Thats without going into the stories of abuses of power by the cops and the miscarriages of justice that occurs within these groups.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I like the logo. its creative yet elaborate and symbolic. yes there is an aboriginal theme behind it and there is nothing wrong with that. But I also think it tells something about canada when we see that everytime we have an opportunity to showcase ourselves to world, we always suround ourselves in these aboriginal themes. Yet, when you look around many aboriginals in this country live in conditions comparable to the third world. Thats without going into the stories of abuses of power by the cops and the the justice system that adversely affects these groups.

That applies in the main to those who have refused or been unable to join the mainstream. What you are not taking into account is the large number of folks of aboriginal origin who live happy and successful lives on their reserves or off the reserves as regular Canadians. Like the people of Scottish descent, those off the reserves and no longer registered as status indians are not counted as part of a separate minority. This is not to diminish the plight of the of those left behind but don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

That applies in the main to those who have refused or been unable to join the mainstream. What you are not taking into account is the large number of folks of aboriginal origin who live happy and successful lives on their reserves or off the reserves as regular Canadians. Like the people of Scottish descent, those off the reserves and no longer registered as status indians are not counted as part of a separate minority. This is not to diminish the plight of the of those left behind but don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

True, but one of the main points that I was getting at and that perhaps it didn't come accross well is that: If we fall back on the aboriginal themes constantly, it tells me that perhaps there isn't really anything else culturally distinctive or unique about canada.

Again, going back as far as the opening and closing ceremonies of 76 oLympics and a multitude of other international events. Its always the aboriginal theme we fall back on.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

True, but one of the main points that I was getting at and that perhaps it didn't come accross well is that: If we fall back on the aboriginal themes constantly, it tells me that perhaps there isn't really anything else culturally distinctive or unique about canada.

Again, going back as far as the opening and closing ceremonies of 76 oLympics and a multitude of other international events. Its always the aboriginal theme we fall back on.

Aside from aboriginal themes what would you suggest would be culturally representative of all of Canada. We are an extremely diverse country coast to coast to coast as the anti-federalist factions of one kind or another never tire of telling us. There are people in BC for example who feel absolutely no affinity with anybody east of the Rockies, indeed they are resented. But even the aboriginals are divided, ask the BC natives what they think of an Inuit symbol being used for 2010 and imagine the furore if it had anything to do with our colonial past.

Archived